bowfishing missouri

If Bowfishing is not your cup of tea, DO NOT ENTER! This section is for questions and reports
jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

Anybody had much luck yet this year? Ive been cruising around a creek that drains to the Missouri River but haven't even seen a fish. Where do the fish go in winter? Do they like to be in warmer or colder water? Has anyone seen my keys?

Quackrstackr

bowfishing missouri

Post by Quackrstackr »

They go deep.

Starting to see a lot of carp and gar on KY Lake. It's about time to get after them if I can put the fishing rod down and kill my 2 turkeys pretty quickly.
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

Deadmeat

bowfishing missouri

Post by Deadmeat »

We're still a couple weeks away here in Tennessee. The lake levels are now up high enough to put the water in the weeds but it's still a bit too early. You can usually count on the first week in May here in Knoxville to kick off carp and gar season.

jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

Went out last night after dark and saw a few carp and a few gar but nothing to get excited about.

andrewt

bowfishing missouri

Post by andrewt »

Around Stockton lake a few weeks ago when water was realy high a bunch of guys made a killing on Buffalo around the little sac arm in the waterfowl refuge pond. Haven't been back in a few weeks but the carp and buffalo were everywhere then.
To be old and wise first you must be young and dumb.

Quackrstackr

bowfishing missouri

Post by Quackrstackr »

We made a run two weeks ago on Kentucky Lake and whacked some massive longnose gar. Biggest ones I've ever shot.
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

Caught this bad boy on the Lamine River 3 days ago. Almost broke my arrow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

No trouble finding those fish now. Everywhere I looked there were carp cruising around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LeviStevenson

bowfishing missouri

Post by LeviStevenson »

I've been out the last four days in a rown killing more than my little boat can even haul. Last night I filled it up so heavy that the bow was scooping water my whole two mile ride back to the dock. I've been shooting where the creeks dump into the snake river. The spawn is on right now in southern idaho....banks are going crazy with spawners. The creeks are dumping out at about 64 degrees but the river is still at 51. My smallmouth spots are all taken over by grass carp now.....so they all need to be killed. I've got pictures of every outing so far so I will post them as soon as I can. Finally got a new puter so I will be posting pics like crazy very soon.

jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

Keep it up LeviStevenson! I'm about to head overseas to Malaysia for summer. Hopefully they'll have some fish to shoot over there.

BaitCaster

bowfishing missouri

Post by BaitCaster »

Are those Asian Carp?
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

ncfishin

bowfishing missouri

Post by ncfishin »

Do you guys ever eat those carp of gar? I watched an episode of Swamp People on the History channel where a couple of "dem" cajun boys caught a gar, and ate it. They boiled it first, then made patties with them, kinda like salmon patties. I'm just curious, because all we've ever done with them around here is throw em up on the bank. It sure sucks when you're pulling up to a bush hook that's active, and it's a dang gar. Had my mind all set on greasin' a lip with a big ole catfish :shock: . Maybe I'm missing something good.

AimLowRobin

bowfishing missouri

Post by AimLowRobin »

Gar are actually very good to eat. No bones in the meat alongside their backbone, on top of the ribs. It is good just about any way you want to cook it including grilled.

jbd6c6

bowfishing missouri

Post by jbd6c6 »

Ncfishin, I have seen every episode of Swamp People. Love that show. I ate an Asian carp I caught the other day. Fried it up with some onions and breading, similar to the way they did on SP. It was ok, kind of bland. Haven't tried a gar yet. Was about to but realized my pathetic little kitchen knife stood no chance against the gar scales. Soon though. I hate when people leave their fish on the bank though. There's a great spot by my house to shoot but it stinks to high heaven because everyone just leaves their fish there. I try and bag as many as I can fit with trash sacks but still they remain. I'd recommend asking around for farmers or fertilizer plants if they want your fish. Lots of times people will grind them up into food for their animals. At least drag them deep into the woods or to a dumpster. Hell, maybe a homeless shelter. I could feed an army with the carp we pull out of the river. I just hate giving the animal rights people any ammo against the great service we bow fishers provide. :D

AimLowRobin

bowfishing missouri

Post by AimLowRobin »

jbd6c6 wrote:Ncfishin, I have seen every episode of Swamp People. Love that show. I ate an Asian carp I caught the other day. Fried it up with some onions and breading, similar to the way they did on SP. It was ok, kind of bland. Haven't tried a gar yet. Was about to but realized my pathetic little kitchen knife stood no chance against the gar scales. Soon though. I hate when people leave their fish on the bank though. There's a great spot by my house to shoot but it stinks to high heaven because everyone just leaves their fish there. I try and bag as many as I can fit with trash sacks but still they remain. I'd recommend asking around for farmers or fertilizer plants if they want your fish. Lots of times people will grind them up into food for their animals. At least drag them deep into the woods or to a dumpster. Hell, maybe a homeless shelter. I could feed an army with the carp we pull out of the river. I just hate giving the animal rights people any ammo against the great service we bow fishers provide. :D
Get a set of tin snips to open up the gar.

You are right, leaving dead fish on the bank is total BS and no excuse for it, other than being a lazy looser.