2011 Jig fishing challenge

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The Winner of the 2011 Jig Fishing Challenge is lswoody! Congrats man!

This is the year to learn how to fish Jigs, you can do it! Jigs catch quality fish. You can argue with me till your face turns blue, but I firmly believe people who fish jigs always catch more fish and better quality fish.

I do not fish jigs that much because I do not have confidence in them. I have been giving them more and more of a chance these last few years and even I am starting to learn how to fish them and what to "feel" for. For sure it is a technique that requires patience and quite a few trips under your belt to get that confidence up. Ask any SERIOUS fisherman and a Jig is part of their arsenal, there is a reason for this.

Now it is your turn. I challenge every single TinBoats member to pick up a jig and toss it for a few hours this year. Catching a fish on a jig is a satisfying feeling, and now it can be rewarding even more so.

Here we go.................

Rules
This contest is open to all members that have made at least 25 meaningful posts by Labor Day 2011. If you are a regular member on here, this is not even a tiny issue....
To enter this contest you must catch a fish on a Jig. The lure must be called a "JIG" or fall into that category. If you are not sure, ask me first If it will be allowed.

Contest starts now(this year....2011) and ends at the end of the Labor day weekend.

Jig: Jig head(any size) with a skirt, anything above that is optional. No chatterbaits or chatterbait type baits.

This is how you enter. You submit a picture holding a fish here with a Jig hanging out of it's mouth(or in the picture). When you submit each picture (Edit and add to your original thread)you must also let us know what kind of jig, color and size you used. All fish must be caught this year. Every Picture submitted equals one entry into the lottery. All entries will be added to the Hat program and a random winner picked. The more pictures obviously means more entries.

Prize: The winner is going to win at least a dozen of my home made, not so famous, super quality football jigs in various colors. The sizes range from 1/4 ounce all the way to 1/2 ounce. The winner will also win six very hard to get BICO Jigs in assorted colors(I have 3 different colors). These Jigs are 3/8 ounce and made from pewter. These are the best jigs ever if you need a jig to go through Timber. Numerous 7+ pound fish have been caught off these jigs with only one hook break on record, and these have been around for years. The winner will also receive a few store brand jigs and a few jigs made by some members of this site. Finally the winner will receive a spool of Braided line for their reel. I have not decided what kind yet or strength, but it will be awesome for sure. :D

The winner will not have to buy any jigs for the next couple of years for sure. :LOL2:

All Rule changes will happen in this thread, so check back often. Any questions, just ask away. Good luck all, happy jig fishing.

Disclaimer: All rules can change because :D

Here are a couple of shots of my jigs....
Black.jpg

football~0.jpg

Attachments

• Bicos.jpg
    Bicos.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,906
  • jigchallenge2011.JPG
    jigchallenge2011.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 4,183
Should not be a problem for me! I throw a jig at least everytime I hit the water! Lots of pictures to come!
When does this end?

Jeff

Jigs RULE! As Jim stated, they're not the easiest lure to master, but they are big fish catchers. You can swim them, hop them, drag them... and of course 'jig' them (vertically). Most of my largest bass have been caught on a jig.

Good luck to all!

i'm all in... but the jig needs to be clear.. you could use a jig head with a worm or tube or even a swimbait.
when i think jig i think jig and pig style baits...
your game your rules just let me know what i can use

redbug said:
i'm all in... but the jig needs to be clear.. you could use a jig head with a worm or tube or even a swimbait.
when i think jig i think jig and pig style baits...
your game your rules just let me know what i can use

I think that is what is should be - you can rig anything on a jig head (heck, spinner baits use a jig head) so I think jig with a skirt is what is meant

hmmm... considering jigs are what I'm throwing 99% of the time...

Here was my best on the jig last year (same fish in avatar)

7-49lb - 10-10-10 Lake Horton.jpg

FYI, I had this bookmarked as a favorite - learning the jig...
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10932&p=114891

Well guess I'm gonna have to learn how to catch fish on a jig now..... at least on a regular basis. Have caught fish on them but don't have confidence enough in them to fish them much. That's a nice fish Russ!!!!!

Cool I was just talking to my buddy about how much I hate jigs. Ever since I broke off a huge smallie last spring, I've just had a bad taste it my mouth. Not the jigs fault, but I still don't use them much.

With this cold weather (and the 2 inches of snow we got this morning...) I might have to give them another chance. The last TB tournament I won was around this time, when the big prespawn females are looking to get their jaw broken :wink: Maybe lightning will strike twice.

Oooh...I'm in on this for sure. I have more jigs than I have anything. Love throwing jigs!

Taking my daughter fishing on Friday....Can't wait to throw even more now!

Ok, well, I couldn't stand it!!! I rode my atv to my church's lake and tried the jig out and I got 3 in about 30 minutes. Starting from the bottom pic here's is the very first entry for this contest. Got it on a brown Walmart FLW 3/16 oz. jig. I think this jig is a Bitsy Bug immatation??? Here my next entry, Caught this white bass on black/silver flake Bitsy Bug jig, 3/16 oz. These next 3 fish starting with the dark pic and ending with the bream, were all caught on a 3/16 oz Bitsy Bug jig in black/silver flake color. Got this next one from a friend's lake using a 1/4 oz BPS jig in pumpkin seed color. This next bass I caught today at my church's lake, caught it with a 1/4 oz. BPS jig in pumpkin seed color.Caught these next 2 while a cold front was coming through and it was starting to rain. Caught both on a 1/4 oz.BPSJig in pumpkin seed color. Caught these next 3 I caught after wrokj at my kin's pond. Caught them on a 1/4 oz BPS jig in pumpkin seed color. So far have caught all of these fish just draggin and bumping it along the bottom. These next six fish, I caught today with an "All Terain' 1/4 oz swim jig in green pumpkin color. These next six were caught this morning on a 1/8 oz Yamamotto Hula Grub jig in pumpkin seed color. And this last pic was also caught this morning on an All Terrain 1/4 oz. jig in green pumpkin color.

Attachments

• rsz_jig_004.jpg
    rsz_jig_004.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • rsz_april_camping_trip_2011_011.jpg
    rsz_april_camping_trip_2011_011.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 992
  • rsz_pond_016.jpg
    rsz_pond_016.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 954
  • rsz_pond_015.jpg
    rsz_pond_015.jpg