Build or buy?

Computer questions, Gaming systems, TV's and anything electronic can go here.
fish2keel

Build or buy?

Post by fish2keel »

Hey guys,

Im looking for some help. I am good with electronics but have no clue really what I need for a gaming system. Im looking to run the new counter strike global operations and was wondering what you all thought I should do. Would it be better to build my own computer by piece by piece or is there a computer desktop platform that is good?

Thanks guys

F2k
Force from Above!

jdbassin2003

Build or buy?

Post by jdbassin2003 »

Build if you are confident in your abilities, Most desktop commercial systems are designed to perform mundane tasks such as e-mail and word processing very efficiently but not so much when it comes to 3d rendering and such. You can put together a more than adequate gaming rig for a lot less yourself than buying a commercial gaming machine. Right now, Tiger Direct and New Egg both have Barebones systems with quadcore processors, case, MB, 8 gb ddr3 ram, Optical Drive and decent hd for $299, you would only need to add a quality graphics card (or Two :D ), os and perhaps faster hd to have a better than avg gaming rig.

Jeff
BSIT Web Dev.

fish2keel

Build or buy?

Post by fish2keel »

Thanks jeff!

I have a desktop computer its a dell but its slower than christmas itself and doesn't run much of anything well. Is there any way to use this platform and upgrade the components within it?

Thanks

F2k
Force from Above!

jdbassin2003

Build or buy?

Post by jdbassin2003 »

Depends on how old it is, Not likely though, Dell tends to use proprietary cases and such, You can likely upgrade the RAM but not always, and if there is a open slot you may be able to upgrade the video card. It's not likely you can do much with the CPU, The hard drive is always upgradable but It may not be worth it depending on if it is Parallel ATA or Serial ATA. If you can send me the model/specs I can let ya know what you can and cannot do.

Jeff

LOWEBIGJON

Build or buy?

Post by LOWEBIGJON »

Get a bare bones PC and start from there..
LOWE 1852
Yamaha 25 HP ELH 2 stroke

fish2keel

Build or buy?

Post by fish2keel »

Yeah im thinking about just getting a bare bones and starting over and just using the dells moniter since its a brand new flat screen.

What are some components you guys would use for a gaming rig?
Force from Above!

zeedogg

Build or buy?

Post by zeedogg »

pentium i7
latest geforce card
8gigs of ram

Depends how extreme you want it to be, or the budget allows...

jdbassin2003

Build or buy?

Post by jdbassin2003 »

Like zeedog said it depends on how extreme you wanna get, CS, global ops I don't believe is due to be released til 2012, That said at a min I would go with

Intel i5 or AMD X4 - at a min i7 or Phenom x6 top of the heap
8gb of the fastest ddr3 ram your mainboard will support
The choice of Nvidia or ATI graphics cards is more of a personal choice, the latter being better suited for a AMD setup - For upgradability look for a mainboard that supports multiple video cards, these are running up to 2 gb onboard ram or more now, though you can get by on much less and still have a good rig

a solid state drive would be ideal but a couple of good 7500rpm HD would suffice though potentially be a limiting factor

and don't skimp on the power supply and cooling

You can have a decent setup for gaming for as little as 400-500$ a really great one would potentially run in the 2-3000$+ range

My suggestion would be to look for a good mainboard first that offers plenty of room for upgrade and build from there as your budget dictates. A cheap board with maxed out specs will be good for now but will quickly be outdated with no room to grow.

MDFisherman57

Build or buy?

Post by MDFisherman57 »

Yea I built my computer with little experience and it was fairly easy. I bought the amd 6 core cpu which was the highest and it runs bf2 on highest setting without hesitation. You must make sure you have a faster northbridge chipset on your motherboard to run them.

fish2keel

Build or buy?

Post by fish2keel »

I didn't see but what motherboard would yall run? Not looking to run cad or anything atleast not at the moment just looking to having a solid gaming computer for CS. Not play much more than that plus I have my laptop for emails and music
Force from Above!

jdbassin2003

Build or buy?

Post by jdbassin2003 »

Well, I didn't mention it earlier but the new amd APU socket fm1 mainboards are out. i would take a serious look at those, The processors are fast, 4 cores and a built in graphics solution, they are also multiple vid card compatible. If you look at tigerdirect's website under socket FM1 a8 mainboards, any of those are a really nice format to build off of.

zeedogg

Build or buy?

Post by zeedogg »

asus 55 sabretooth i think is the one i built last year? i forget which one. but i always build asus mobo's

fish2keel

Build or buy?

Post by fish2keel »

Wow you guys are a great help! Im running completely off of what yall are telling me! So keep it coming!

What size fans are yall thinking will 3 120mm work?
Force from Above!

KillerKilgore

Build or buy?

Post by KillerKilgore »

If you a system already built for gaming and money is no object then you need one of these
https://www.falcon-nw.com

best system I have ever worked on.

If you want to get by as cheap as you can go to the dell website and get a system or configure one online that you like and then go to a tech website zipzoomfly newegg or tigerdirect and by the components and build it yourself.

As far as the OS goes. there are FREE Linux distros out there that are very user friendly.

I am running a dual boot XP / Linux Mint 11 (am on Mint right now no viruses on linux :) ) with 4 500 GB SATA drives with ASUS Striker II MB. ThermalTake 11 bay liquid cooled Intel core 2 dual core processor and Nivida liquid cooled video 4GB Ram ect...

download and try a live Mint CD. you can boot your existing computer off the CD rom and run everything off the CD just to try linux. give it a chance all you have to do is download the live CD burn it to a disk and start with the CD in the computer. most computer nowadays will boot from CD. if you don't like it just shut down remove the disk and start windows again. all you have to lose is 1 CD.

Linux can also run windows programs with Wine.

hope this helps

KillerKilgore
KillerKilgore

If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.
If you can read this in English, Thank a Vet.
If you can read this in the dark, Thank a Coal Miner.

All electronics run on SMOKE.

DocWatson

Build or buy?

Post by DocWatson »

Another quality pre-built gaming system maker is Ailenware.
If Life Gives You Melons,
You May Be Dyslexic.