Ice fishing sleds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
You got em, lets see em. Modifications and all.
I need some ideas to modify mine, although I have to wiat until Christmas to "unwrap" it. :mrgreen:

The wheels are turning on what I want to do with it.

I use a sled for when it is early ice to drag out my gear.. it is a basic empty sled. I use a Eskimo Quickfish 3 hub style house, which at 18lbs i can carry it on my back. The big heavy houses with the built in sleds are a bear when there is over 4" of snow or if you have to drag it by yourself for a ways in early ice.

Ive seen enough guys struggle or need help getting there houses out on the ice.. im setup so i can move freely by myself and have no problems..

I saw one yesterday At Gander Mountain that was pretty cool. An encolsed sled to keep your stuff inside, built in rod holders, bucket holder, and some other stuff. With access hatches on top (or you can open the entire top)
For around 100 bucks.

I'll try and find a picture or link of it later today

I built this box about 15 years ago from 1/4" plywood and 3/4" oak for the runners. I modified with external rod holders over the years so I could store my flasher in the box when I started using one. It has a little open storage box right behind the lantern compartment that (which is separated by a panal from the lower part of the box) that you can keep gear in. It also has a hand hole cut into the back of the lantern compartment to carry it with.

Attachments

• mike's box.jpg
    mike's box.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 326
  • mike's box0.jpg
    mike's box0.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 326
Gillhunter,
That's what I'm talking about. Nice job. Is the holes above the lantern is so the heat radiates up and its your seat while fishing?

Hanr3 said:
Gillhunter,
That's what I'm talking about. Nice job. Is the holes above the lantern is so the heat radiates up and its your seat while fishing?

Hanr3, The holes in the panal above the lantern, which just lifts off the box for access to the lantern, is to let the heat radiate. You sit on the lower part of the box and the heat radiates to your hands and face. I always fished bare handed and normally lit the lantern before I left the landing. I spent many a day sitting on that box. It had enough room to store my flasher, a thermos of coffee, tackle and a fish sack.

Attachments

• mike'sbox1.jpg
    mike'sbox1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 311
It's funny this topic about sled's is up..

I was out yesterday on a local lake with a buddy doing some fishing. We have no snow cover and 6" of glare ice, to make it slippier it was 40 degrees yesterday so the ice was even slicker. We had no issues to getting to our spot due to our light weight sled and minimal gear.

We watched this guy struggle to get across the lake with this heavy sled..

so.. glare ice,40 degrees, 20 mph head wind and a heavy sled..(camera was shaky due to me laughing hard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXHzVFQIco&feature=youtu.be

A little later we went out to hole hop and saw he had figured out to use his ice scoop to gain momentum which was a semi better mode of travel. (again shaky camera due to laughter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7JeoHAR8k&feature=youtu.be

I muted the sound on both due to the amount of laughter involved.

Man, looks like that guy could use some crampons or at the very least a set of instep spikes.

Best dang moonwalk I've ever seen, though. That's talent!

Gillhunter, thats a piece of art! Way too nice to lugged through the snow.

wihil said:
Gillhunter, thats a piece of art! Way too nice to lugged through the snow.

wihil, Thanks, it was patterned after a box that my step-dad built years before. It's sitting in his basement gathering dust since I moved to Georgia. :roll:

I sure do miss ice fishing.

I was just listening to Dan Small radio show (Lake-Link) and they are talking about ice fishing in northern Wisconsin. Ice is only a couple of inches thick, but its ice and they are fishing it. We had the start of ice on the Illinois River Peoria area last week, however with temps in the 50's and raining for the past 2 days all that ice is long gone. Last year at this time we already had at least one major snow storm. Hoping mother nature is off to a slow start this year.

We had one good week of cold up here, and it was enough to just get a taste of ice.

The die-hards were out, mostly in the bays and shallows. One guy was spotted out near the middle of the bay (keeping in mind he had to walk around 3 open water springs, and was probably only on about an inch in over 12' of water...) There was a trail of spud marks where he was feeling his way out.

Had a report that someone went through and rescue had to fish them out - big surprise. :roll:

Decent ice up in Shawano last weekend, but little was on the bite and I wouldn't trust the ice now after a few days of +40deg weather and rain every day.

Dang it I need some ICE.

:evil:

Come up to Manitoba! We have tonnes of ice. I'm heading out Sunday for my first trip. Guys are already out with their sleds and trucks. Some guys have been on the ice since the middle of November....

Hanr3 said:
You got em, lets see em. Modifications and all.
I need some ideas to modify mine, although I have to wiat until Christmas to "unwrap" it. :mrgreen:

The wheels are turning on what I want to do with it.

Have you done any modifications to your box yet or have you been too busy using it :LOL2: ?

Great question. Unfortunatelly I haven't done either yet.

It hasn't been cold enough to go ice fishing, yet cold enough to put too much ice for anything else.
I have a pile of lumber to work for my mancave before I can start on the sled. I do have a goal though. It needs to be done by FEb. 11th, ice fishing tournament.

Unfortunately, no. We have enough ice to keep the boat in the garage, but not enough ice to ice fish. The tournament was cancelled. It's been a strange winter, some days its winter, and the next its like spring. It'll be int eh mid 30's again this week.

Hanr3 said:
Unfortunately, no. We have enough ice to keep the boat in the garage, but not enough ice to ice fish. The tournament was cancelled. It's been a strange winter, some days its winter, and the next its like spring. It'll be int eh mid 30's again this week.

Yea man.. it has been a strange winter over this way as well. Last Monday was 47 degrees.. then 2 days later it was -5. Calling for 30's this way all week too. We got 16" of ice where im at in mid central MN, good clear ice from lack of snow. finally able to drive out last week, been sick of having to walk everywhere.

FLAG UP!!!!!

Latest posts