First trip of the season

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmoney

Reaction score
Went out with my buddies for the first trip of the season this year. Thought we should do some trout fishing since I had never been before and my three friends had never ice fished. Ended up fishing all morning in one spot and we only caught one small rainbow. So we packed up and were going to go to another lake for the afternoon but my buddy convinced us to stay and go to this back bay on the lake. Wow! I was glad we stayed!

Between the four of us we ended up nailing 25 rainbows and 1 brown trout in 3 hours! Nothing big but it was a lot of fun. We were fishing in super shallow water and you could sight fish for the trout through the hole. Ended up hole hopping all afternoon and had a blast!

Here are some pictures and a short video from the trip

my buddy with his first rainbow
IMG_0109.jpg

My first rainbow
IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

hole hopping
IMG_0113.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtKZM1E3TI&feature=youtu.be

Could be. I've never fished for trout or spake so I have no clue what they look like. They just had the pinkish line down the side so I thought they were rainbows

Rainbows have dark markings on a light background, Those fish look like they have light markings on a dark background. They are either Splake or Brook Trout. Brookies usually have a white front edge on their fins so I am leaning toward Splake, which is a Brookie/Lake Trout hybrid.

Anyway nice trout! Trout opens here in Janurary, but unless it gets colder here our lakes that harbor trout won't have safe ice.

Thanks for the info muskiemike, I think my buddy caught a brown, it looked different. I'll try and post a pic

Thanks wihil! gotta love the team Canada Olympic gear

Here's the pic of the brown? trout my buddy caught

photo.jpg

Thanks, Gmoney! 100% brown trout there. Great color on that fish!
Looks like we will be casting from shore on our trout opener down here.

Canoeman said:
glad you found some fish and some ice!!

X2.

Here it is January and we haven't had any ice. In two weeks Im taking Boy Scout ICE fishing, if it keeps up like this we will be bank fishing.

Latest posts