Wisconsin Deer Hunt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I have a shack 15 miles south of Rhinelander. I have room for up to 4 to join in this year. Would anybody be interested or is this a bad idea? Food expense would be shared and lodging is free. What are your thoughts on this idea? I am 59 and been going here since my father built it in 1957. FYI, I smoke and enjoy adult beverages. The shack will be open from Friday morning until Wednesday afternoon. Our season is the week of Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• shack1.jpg
    shack1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,337
Sounds like a good idea, you should have plenty of takers. If you end up shorthanded let me know, love to hunt.

The only thing better then harvesting a deer up there would be taking a black bear. Saw some nice sized bears last time the church group went up there fishing.

I would like to take you up on your offer but for a couple issues:

It's not that you smoke, I don't, but I don't care, it doesn't bother me. I'm 52 (I'd be 53 by then) and have been known to have an adult beverage ot ten before.

But:
I've never hunted a deer before although I do have a 30.06 quite capable of taking one.
I don't know how to field dress a deer but I'm not overly squeamish about gutting things (fish, hogs, whales, lawyers)
I don't know anything about your state's hunting requirements or licensing or if you have any kind of lottery to get a deer tag, etc...
Oh, and I don't really care for venison.

Guess I wouldn't be a good candidate for your hunting party. But a nice gesture.

How much land do you have? Is it a CWD zone? I hunt in the Reeedsburg area and am still hunting until March 31st on the CWD landowner hunt. What kind of habitat does your land have? address and we could google it. Very generous offer, let us know more....

Sorry I took so long to answer your questions.

po1 ... If you're still interested, you're in.
We also hunt bear if that is something you would like to try.
Sorry, I don't know anything about non-resident bear license. Go to WDNR web site.

JBHolmes ... Axe murderer? People hunter? Where would you get a license for that?

popeye ... Never hunted? First time for everything.
You nockem down, we'll get the guts out.
I believe the non-resident license is $160.00. No lottery.
Don't like venison? No problem, charitys are happy to have them.

Pelagicbldr ... I own 5 acres but I have access to over 400 acres of private land
I am also surrounded by vast tracts of public land that gets very little traffic.
This is NOT CWD land.
The habitat is everything from flat open hardwood to thick swamps and everything inbetween.
The address is W14850 CTH Q, Gleason WI. 54435.
If you look at a WI map, I am in the town of Parrish, on the corners of Q, H and 17.

I will add more as time permits. I should have time a week from this Friday. I will add a the menu and other info then. If anyone has any other questions, please ask and I will answer them next Friday

popeye ...

One more update on a subject that i failed to comment on #-o .

An adult beverage or "10"?
Not a problem. I have a "PRIVATE" road that goes directly to the back door of my neighbors home/tavern. The road is about 450' in length and runs parallel to the county highway. In 50 plus years, we only had to go looking for one person, my MOM :beer: .

Another update.

Still room for one more.

This is the way it usually goes but always open to change.

Friday night, fish fry. I supply the fish and the fixings.
Saturday night it's supper at the local steak joint. (the prime rib is pretty good)
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday is to be determined. Grocery bill is devided by all.
Breakfast everymorning. The usual stuff like sow belly and cackle berries. We take turns cooking so if someone wants to make pancakes, have at it.
If you would like a sandwich to take with you to the woods, make it anyway you like.
We all do the dishes.
The shack has electricity but no TV yet. If the power goes out, we have gas lights for back up. There is no running water. If water is needed, someone takes the water jugs over to the bar and fills them. (this might be a good job for popeye)

If it's cold in the morning, try not to be the first one to use the outhouse. (frost on the seat)

If you would like there is a "BUCK" pool at the bar. Any deer that gets regestered at the bar is weighed and entered. Winners are drawn from a hat.
There is also a drawing on Sunday night of opening weekend for prizes. Cost is $20.00. Last year I won a 50 cal CVA muzzel loader.
My summer/retirement home is located on this property. We watch football games there. I am a Packer fan, but root for the team you like.
I will contact whoever is going to join in this year to finalize the details like grocery list, who to put on what stand and your estemated arrival time.

FYI, the deer population is a bit down right now but I will do my best to put you in a spot that I think will give you the best chance for a successful hunt. If you prefer to walk around a bit, There are miles and miles a 4 wheeler trails to follow as the bar is on a trail head.

BRING A COMPASS

I prefer rifles over shotguns. If you do not own a rifle, I have extras. You can choose the weapon of your choice.

I have 2 30-30 Winchesters, 2 .300 Savages, A Marlin 44Mag Carbine. If I put you in a spot for a longer shot I have a Remington .270 and 30-06. And if you want to make some smoke there is the 50cal muzzel loader.

If you have any other questions, please ask and I will try to answer as quickly as I can.

Awesome! I hunt halfway there (portage), and since I have a place to go, I'll save the last one for someone who doesnt have anywhere to go. Great idea, I hope you guys get the big ones!

If that spot is still open, I'd like to fill it! I'll be 64 by then and , I still smoke and enjoy an adult beverage. I'll send a PM to find out more, and fill any blanks You might need filled. The opportunity is greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Nick

novaman, you are invited to fill the last spot for this years hunt. As I said before, I will do my best to put you on a stand that I hope will make your hunt a success. Welcome aboard and look forward to meeting you.

HANGEY (Doug)

Latest posts