Novaman's 1648 Tracker Grizzly

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
novaman

Post by novaman »

Over the last 6-7 mos. I've followed a lot of You with projects that have amazed me by the sheer diversity of styles and abilities to execute Your plans. Hopefully this boat won't be too boring. I have looked for a 1648 Grizzly of the older style for awhile, (don't like the newer rear seat layout) and finely found one in WI. To be exact, Tomahawk, WI>, way up north, as in due west of the UP of MI. The PO is a 75 yr old duck hunter and fisherman, who decided to downsize due to losing his hunting partner. The boat was very clean and "rash" free,had a drop in " duck liner", and a trailer I thought was new upon seeing it. Seems as though this trailer sat on the corner of the garage for approx. 355 days a yr. He lives on the Wisconsin River and and the launch ramp is only 1/2 mi. from the house. So I put about 4x the mileage bringing it home as it had in its 7 yr. life. The boat will be used for walleye, steelhead , and panfishing, so no plans for any deck adds, and NO wood in side the hull. I'll use alum. for most stuff and stainless fasteners. My son works for a coatings co., so the interior may get a new product as a test case for a non skid coating. I had actually bought a 2004 mercury 25hp 4 stroke before the boat, since it was a great price and I knew it was what I wanted on the hull whenever I found one. Now for some pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If something was done unorthodox, I might have had a hand in it, and then again I might have had the ONLY hands in it!

2004 Tracker Grizzly 1648/ 04 25 hp.Mercury 4 stroke https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24919
2008 Alumacraft 2072 w/Nissan 115 TLDI for push.

gillhunter

Post by gillhunter »

Looking forward to seeing how your project goes. I' m sure it will be a really good one.

novaman

Post by novaman »

Thanks Gillhunter, I'll be happy if it looks anywhere as nice as yours.

Since raising the transom involved taking the corner caps off, I decided to make the new one about 3x the size of the originals. I cut and broke .090 alum. sheet to a size that would work for anything I wanted to install on them, cleats, rod holder mounts, nav. light, and enough room for a downrigger. Before they were welded on a channel was cut along the outside of both foam pods to fit wiring and hoses for livewell and bilge. That involved notching the channel across the foam to allow corners to be made, and a cutter wheel on an angle grinder and pliers did just what I needed. I'll make my own livewell to fit on the port side about half way between the existing decks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If something was done unorthodox, I might have had a hand in it, and then again I might have had the ONLY hands in it!

2004 Tracker Grizzly 1648/ 04 25 hp.Mercury 4 stroke https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24919

Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Nice build, keep the photos coming.
--- Gramps
1985 1651 Polar Kraft 20 hp Mercury
HB 597 ci HD DI

1munford

Post by 1munford »

nice boat!

novaman

Post by novaman »

Thanks guys! Next on the agenda is getting the transom ready to paint, but first it needs to have any edges ground smooth, and same with the corner caps. On to the wiring before anything else. I fed 4 sets of wires thru a 3/4" plastic water line, the kind you'd bury for new construction ( since I had 25' left from 10 yrs ago). I'd probably try something softer next time, since I had to use a heat gun on this stuff then walk on it to make it "oval" enough to push behind the ribs, all in 1 pc,from bow deck to stern pod. That tubes tough enough I'll never have to worry about something ever cutting through it by accident. Pulled 3 sets of 16AWG wire for the bow light , flood lights, and a spare and one set of 14AWG to the bow to use for for a power anchor winch. The TM wiring will be a short run to the front cubby for that battery. I got a great price on a couple of Minnkota 60amp breakers (posted a link in the Electrical thread ) at $30 ea. incl shipping off from Ebay. I hope to get some more pics posted on Sun. of the electrical box and switches and a few other things I just got done with, but for now it's time for Nascar @ Texas. Good nite all! :arrow: :popcorn: :beer:

novaman

Post by novaman »

I'm jumping around a little since I'm waiting on a couple of pcs to get here. Today I took the boat over to my friend with the aluminum welding equipment and got the floor stringers installed. I used al.angle that is 2 x 2 x 1/4" for the floor to be mounted over. Ya i know that's pretty beefy stuff, but so are the guys who'll fish out of this boat. At 5'11" and 240#, I'm the light weight as both of my boys are taller and beefier than I. So I chose to do overkill on the floor rather than have as much flex as the floor in our Alumacraft 2072 w/ factory floor has. I'll cover the ribs with 1/8" 5052 sheet. A 60 x 120 sheet will make a 1 pc floor possible with out a lot of drop off. We have plenty of cardboard that comes on the pallets with sheet stock, which I'll use for a pattern. Hopefully it will be in fri. since our regular supplier only carries 48 x 120 sheet in stock. in the meantime I got the TM bracket welded up too, and went ahead and painted it and installed the TM. I went with a 45# Powerdrive V2 by Minnkota, because it's proven to me to be a good unit. The big boat has a 55# unit and it's been on there for 4yrs. now with no Problems, and I love the ability to put the pedal in the back and just move around a spot trolling or move down a shoreline and cast weed edges for walleye without having to move rods etc. to the front deck. I'll also put a power anchor up frt after I decide how I'm going to make this one. I'd love to have a "River Larry's anchor tower and winch, but $1k is just out of the pic. But since I'll use a 30# lead pyramid anchor on this boat, I ain't gonna pull it up manually, as often as I sometimes move around .You have to be able to short line anchor in a lot of the places I fish for steelhead or walleye, such as below dams and behind bridge abutments. For now here's some pics. Ya I know =D> =D> it's about time.

vahunter

Post by vahunter »

Nice job, looks great! Looking forward to seeing more pics
2011 Weldbilt 1548V with 1995 25hp 2-stroke Johnson
Fishing/Duck boat

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Lookin good! Your wiring is so clean. I hope I can get mine to look that organized.

I love the front of your boat! I wish mine was like that. I'm jealous :lol:

Dockside85

Post by Dockside85 »

Hey man, where did you pick up the black protective edge guard you put around the hole you cut in the rear floor? I could use some for my rear bench seat, now rear storage compartment!

novaman

Post by novaman »

Thank You Guys very much, I'm trying to do a boat I'm not afraid to get dirty, and have top keep reigning myself in. I built a 67 Nova once , that was supposed to be for driving , but got carried away with the detailing and ended up with a car that won it's class at the Deartborn Nova Nats.I guess that's why I try to make things clean and neat and don't even think about how far I go with stuff. The wiring is a good example, I just couldn't let bare wires hang all over. I appreciate the votes of confidence.

As far as the edge guard, it was on the front deck opening and I cut it up to use in other places. Cabelas has a product for alum boats thats the same. Also You can find it on Ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STANDARD-3-16- ... 2c6282eac4

Hope that helps ,and Thanks again for the for the compliments. I'll try to keep You coming back to see the rest.

novaman

Post by novaman »

A few more things are done. Wiring is complete for everything that's installed, still need front flood or fog lights for those early morning or late nite runs on the river. After reading some comments about lights in the electrical threads, I talked to the local CO and he wasn't concerned about running flood lights on the river at nite as long as I had nav. lights on too. I explained about not wanting to run over limbs or other junk floating in the river as well as being able to see guys who don't use their nav lights for whatever reason. His main concern was that everybody got back to the launch safe.

The floor stringers are done , now I need to make a template for the floor, so I've got a 4' x 10' sheet of cardboard to cut on. The livewells getting the finishing touchs and will be the subject of the next bunch of pics, as soon as I go pick it up. The livewell drain is run thru the stringers and connected to a fitting thru the stern.

novaman

Post by novaman »

Finally went after my livewell, and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. I didn't take time to figure the volume, but full of water to the overflow, it weighs about 55#. I used plumbing on the inside that I scavenged from an old boat that I scrapped. Mostly it's a Bassperator with a few changes. Has anyone tried a homemade siphon injection type of aeroation system? It's supposed to increase the amount of diffused oxygen in the water dramatically.

I got the time to wire the trolling motor to the Minnkota circuit breaker , and was very disappointed that the ring terminals on the motor wiring wouldn't even fit the circuit breaker posts. :evil: Ever wonder why a $10 nav light receptacle has tinned wire but not a $450 trolling motor?? :roll: .

Got my cardboard template made for the floor, and hope time allows to cut and install this weekend.

novaman

Post by novaman »

It's been awhile, and I'm back at it, after all it's about time to go fishing by myself, and this is my ride. The bow storage needed a major repair job, to the opening bulkhead, it had about a 5/8" arc in it because of the way it was assembled.

overboard

Post by overboard »

nice job, nice boat!