Geocaching

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I had a couple of hours to kill so I took the kids for a treasure hunt and we went geocaching. The kids had a blast looking for buried "treasure". It was allot of fun minus the 30+ ticks I had to remove off of all of us.

This is the website I go to for it: https://www.geocaching.com

and I use the Geocaching app for the iphone. This shows you the 3 closest one to where you are right now.

We ended up finding two of the three we went on and signed the books inside. The kids took a couple of Trinkets and we plan on returning to throw a couple of trinkets back in.

d5ab4a91.jpg

12bb589d.jpg

I used to do geo caching alot.Haven't done any new ones lately.Took a friend to a local one to show them what it's all about.Good way to see the country.I have been to over a 100.Some of the ones I did you could only get to by a tin boat :lol: Alot of fun =D> Take something leave something & sign the log

My wife and I found one by accident hiking and now we would like to do it more!

We tried to find one this past week by following directions to one from online but without having a handheld gps we weren't able to find it. We knew we were close - we tried to follow the clues visually - so it was a bit frustrating not finding it.

Seems like a fun addition to our hikes!

I have a friend who loves it. I have been out a couple times with him. One we found on a dinning room table sized island in the middle of the lake we stayed/fished at in Maine. The box even had these nip bottles in it, which we left for some stranded kayaker.

2011-07-29_17-02-46_915.jpg

Wow!! Just happened across this thread. My sons and I have been caching since 2004, I have over 1000 finds. It's an easy hobby to get addicted to. It stsarted when I was looking for something to do with my GPSr in the off season.

For those who like to hike, kayak, climb, or just the fun of the hunt, it's a great time. There are several groups in every state that plan events and trips just to cache.

Here in Jersey there are caches hidden in every state park, WMA, and local parks. I usually look for them when I'm bored or the fish aren't biting. lol

I've done this once or twice with friends and found it to be quite entertaining!

I have a 3 and a 5 year old who would love to find some easier ones. I checked the website and signed up. Turns out there are a TON of great caches very close to our house.

I'm pumped.

I have an iPhone, can I use that?

Would it be better to purchase a nice handheld GPS? Any pointers on shopping for one?

MrSimon said:
I've done this once or twice with friends and found it to be quite entertaining!

I have a 3 and a 5 year old who would love to find some easier ones. I checked the website and signed up. Turns out there are a TON of great caches very close to our house.

I'm pumped.

Would it be better to purchase a nice handheld GPS? Any pointers on shopping for one?

Use the iphone app to get started, its free and then you can see if there is really huge interest in it.

It's A Neat Hobby, Have Been To A Lot Of Places I Would Not Have Otherwise Traveled To Or Found On My Own. It's World Wide, I Have Found Geocaches In Sixteen States On A Vacation Out West, Found Some In Canada Around Niagra Falls, And In Nassau Bahamas During A Cruise Stop. Hidden Five Of My Own Also.

I bought the app and used it this weekend to find a cash with the family. The app worked just fine and we had a lot of fun!

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25201.JPG
Jim said:
MrSimon said:

I'm pumped.

Use the iphone app to get started, its free and then you can see if there is really huge interest in it.

Latest posts