Wind Car

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice1

Reaction score
We all have heard about electric cars. What would happen if the car was fitted with a wind generator to recharge the batteries. While u drive u charger the batteries. Just a thought.

If you can think it there's probably already a patent on it.

I had to do a paper on this in college, it really blew my mind.

The car or fuel companys buy out the patents with ridiculous money so they don't have to compete, and to keep us buying high dollar fuel.

Dice1 said:
We all have heard about electric cars. What would happen if the car was fitted with a wind generator to recharge the batteries. While u drive u charger the batteries. Just a thought.

Maybe the physics guys will chime in, something about the laws of physics. If it was a gas motor you could probably charge the starting battery but I don't think you are going to get more energy out than you put in. But I'm no expert because they have step up generators I think. Help! lol

I had a buddy one time that was determined to hook an inverter up to a battery so he could run a battery charger and charge the battery. (he might have been charged with some chemicals himself at the time)

Parkerdog is right, although it's better explained mathematically.

In any system, power in and power out will be roughly equal. I say "roughly", because we (man) can't build anything perfectly. There will always be some inherent losses in the transition from one power medium to another.

What is suggested is that one generates electricity from forward motion of a body, by using airflow through a propellor to spin a generator.
Let's examine that; You would be forcing air through a propellor in order to turn linear airflow into rotary motion......there would be some power losses in that, due to inefficiencies of the prop. We would then be rotating a winding, suspended in bearings, within a magnetic field. We'll lose some power from bearing friction, we'll have to generate the magnetic field, unless we're using a permanent magnet generator, and we'll have to hope that there's 100% efficiency in just the generator output. (Which there won't be.)
What we end up with is something less, (usually considerably less), than the total energy that went into the effort. We suffer losses through heat generation, friction, and worse from transforming one energy source into a different medium. (Linear wind energy into rotary motion, then into electrical energy.)

I'm not suggest you don't try it, as it does work to a degree. What the end result will be is an extended range before battery power gets too low to sustain travel.

As an example, early Cessna private planes had a simple generator on a pivot that was cable controlled from the cockpit. The electrical system of the plane was initially powered by an onboard battery, and once airborn, the pilot would allow the generator to drop into the airstream. Being as the generator had it's own prop mounted to the input shaft, electricity was generated, which powered the plane's instruments and lighting for a longer flight time than was possible by battery alone.

It does work, to a point, but it will not be 100% self sustaining.

Roger

I'd have to agree. I think, as with most alternate power generators/sources today, this would work as an adjunct to a primary battery system. Having any power generated by the wind driven, and properly geared, propeller supplement the power output from an existing battery system or recharge those batteries (probably a less efficent use of the power).

This could be incorporated in a hybrid gas/electric vehicle as a third source of power that could also recharge the batteries while the vehicle runs on the gas power, making the use of the gas fuel be more efficient by doing double work with virtually the same energy (of course allowing for the unavoidable loss through the laws of physics).

Of course, we'll likely never see such technology in our lifetimes because there is no profit incentive for big business to do that. :roll: