Eat more fish to clean your lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishiding Structures FHS-139.800.jpgYou bet Rich. If your lake has weed problems, when the weeds decompose, they take away oxygen from the fish and can't act as the surface to grow the periphyton food. PVC and rock for example, provide the surface for these much needed communities for fish to feed on. If you add aeration to create water movement, things only improve. It's important to remember that habitat and cover need to be present from the 2' deep shore where they spawn and hatch, with a continuous line of cover from shallow to deep break lines where the larger predators hang out and hunt.

More habitat placed together right, is far more effective than small clumps spread across the lake/pond.

Here's some underwater pics of our cribs in a cold, clear Northern Wisconsin Lake after less than four weeks in the water. Needless to say Eric, the photographer was very impressed after he thought they would have trouble covering with algae in this pristine, oligotrophic lake.

https://fish.photoshelter.com/forum...med-Artificial-Fish-Habitat/G0000MErc2E7zy2g/

I am not the one who "manages" our little 8 acre pond in Houston, TX.

They've been putting dye in for 20 or more years to eliminate the weed growth. They added White Amur Carp to eliminate weed growth. There is no weed growth, with the exception of something ( that I don't know the name of) that grows, on the top, in the most shallow corners of this 8 foot deep; spring fed; clear water lake. They spray something on that growth and it disappears.

No one cares about the fish population since it is the rare soul who fishes there, other than myself. The LM bass and panfish population appears to be healthy and there is natural reproduction. They added some catfish 8 year ago, and those buggers are twenty + inches long. The bass have been getting a bit bigger recently. They appear healthy, but pretty stupid, since I can catch a half dozen 1 to 1 1/2 lbrs most anytime I care to throw a worm along the shoreline...under the overhanging pine trees.

I forwarded the web site and article on to the "powers that be".

I said that I would be removing some smaller bass each time I fish it when I return to Texas in October.

The lake is surrounded by personal residences, with no other public access, and probably gets a fair runoff of nitrogen from the yards that encircle the whole thing.

regards, Rich

Latest posts