14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Ok, almost got 'er back to how she came from the factory.

I really should have put my time and money into a better hull but this thing didn't have any real major damage and I like a challenge! Its got a lot of dings and battle scars though I tell you.

I have the last piece for the front bench to put in, and I can start laying down the frame for the decks. After that, the transom will get bolted down with new SS hardware.

After I'm done riveting and drilling more holes in the hull she will get the gluvit treatment and then the interior will be sanded and painted. I'm going with primer grey for the inside due to cost and ease of touch ups. Two coats should do it.

After the interior is painted, the next step will be all the woodwork, and laying out the hatches/storage etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

That's pretty good looking work. You'r gonna get that thing in the water yet!! :lol:

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

I wish! I might put water in it to see how many of my fresh rivets leak :mrgreen:

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

Make a Rubber cup or something with lips and put three or five pounds of air pressure on the rivets, one at a time.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Haha I was just kidding. I'm pretty sure i got all the leakers but the gluvit should get anything I missed

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Got the framing for the deck done, the walk-thru cut out and the floor half finished.

Decided I'm gonna go with a tiller and put an extension handle on it because I like to stand and drive, and I don't want to boat to lean like crazy when I'm by myself, as it would with a side console.

Also, it will save me about $300 in materials plus all the time to build it. I will also save on some weight too. The goal is to keep this thing as light as possible so it will go fast/burn less fuel.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Has been raining pretty consistently, and my only day off in the last 2 weeks was spent picking up a new car for the girlfriend, so the project is on hold awaiting some better weather! All the rain did help check for leaks and only 2 of the 250 or so rivets I have installed leak a bit. One I will swap out for a better one but the other will get some gluvit. Picked up a 13x20 hatch for some dry bow stowage and materials to build an anchor roller/holder.

The PO drilled a bunch of holes thru the gunwale and I want to fill them before paint. Would epoxy work? Short strand fibreglass body filler? Biggest is about 3/8" diameter.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Had a day off and some decent weather to get some more work done on this thing today. Been almost 2 weeks but I'm at the mercy of the elements.

Framing is 95% done. next is prep for gluvit and primer.

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

That looks awesome. What's the blue crap?

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

That was the colour of the interior from the factory, mostly rubbed off. I am going to paint it grey with the cheapest metal paint/primer that I can find. :mrgreen:

DanMC

Post by DanMC »

Hi Alex,
Nice job !, where in Canada ?....i guess BC ?

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Yes, Vancouver to be exact. Boat is designed primarily for the Fraser but I also do a bit of crab/ocean fishing when the weather is nice.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Have been picking away at the boat as the weather and schedule allows. I built a few more aluminum pieces that I'll post pics of later on. I laid down a thin coat of gluvit on all the rivets and seams in the boat. I was going to go a bit thicker but I realized that it's probably more effective on the outside as the chances of sealing are a lot better! Anyway, tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I am going to try to get the thing prepped and primed on the inside and then flip 'er over and start prepping the outside. I'm not really too picky about covering everything on the inside, but I want to get the actual hull primed and painted to avoid corrosion below the deck, and anything above the deck primed and painted to look good. Still haven't decided on the color for the outside, but it will probably be whatever is cheapest. The bottom will probably be white and the sides will be black if I can't find a half decent colour in the cheapest oil based paint I can find.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Got some paint on the biatch! Tremclad semi-gloss grey. Cheapest stuff I could find. The bottom of the hull and the back of the transom will get the same paint and my girlfriend wants to paint the sides yellow. I wanna do burgundy and stain the wood a deep cherry colour, but she says burgundy is an old man's colour. Hogwash I say!