14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Here's an shot with the framing and bow storage in. I am waiting to install these after paint to make it easier to reach all the spots. They are anodized by the looks of it and they aren't going to be under the water line so I'm not worried about corrosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

A few questions/ideas:

I want to add some extra storage to the boat. I have a 13x23" hatch for the bow that will use all the space under the front casting platform as dry storage. I plan on storing snacks/life jackets/jackets/various boating supplies here Basically anything I want to keep dry and out of the way until I need it. I also have the storage for the anchor chain/rope at the top so it's all there and easily accessible.

I want to add another storage for all my fishing tackle to keep it dry and organized. Either at the stern in one of the floatation pods on either side of the boat or in the middle seats where the walk thru is. The cheapest I can find water tight hatches that will be the right size is $33 at great lakes skipper. The only downfall is that I will be removing some floatation to accommodate this.

I also want to add a cooler to the front bench for beer and smaller fish (any big salmon would have to be stored elsewhere obviously). I could find a cooler that fits and just cut out the wood so it's removable but I like the idea of something integrated. Live bait is pretty much never used up here due to restrictions so I don't need a livewell. If I went with something installed in the boat I could add a drain plug and let it drain and into the bilge and pump it out.

I was thinking of using rubbermaid containers instead of hatch liners. I think paying $50+ for a piece of molded plastic is insane. Does anyone know of a cheap and effective solution in lieu of a hatch liner?

I don't like tripping all over stuff while I am fishing and I can relax when things are neat and organized. Also lots of waterproof storage means I can keep my gear in the boat when it rains during fishing season. It rains a lot in the pacific north west! I also use to boat to access camping spots which means taking lots of gear, so keeping the necessities/fishing & boat related gear tucked away will let me pack gear without tripping over all sorts of stuff.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I was thinking of putting piano hinge on the middle bench plywood but after I buy the hinge and mess around with fixing a latch, I might as well spend the extra $10 and get a $30 hatch.

Also, does anyone have a line on a hook for clip that I can fasten my oars to the gunwale with? The boat has slots towards the stern to insert the wide end of the paddle, but I want to mount some kind of quick release to hold the handles in place.

I plan on making braces/stiffeners for the gunwales and mounting horizontal rod holders on them, so I have at least one thing figured out!

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Goodies!

Just ordered:

1100 GPH bilge pump/plumbing
Kenwood KMR-355 Stereo and speakers/waterproof housing and antenna
3 switch panel with 12V outlet
12" LED bars (will mount along the gunnel for night fishing/camping)
2 Scotty power lock rod holders
vertical mount rod storage
2 wise swivel seats with swivels and quick release bases

Annd, the build cost just doubled.

DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

Alex_c wrote:Goodies!

Just ordered:

1100 GPH bilge pump/plumbing
Kenwood KMR-355 Stereo and speakers/waterproof housing and antenna
3 switch panel with 12V outlet
12" LED bars (will mount along the gunnel for night fishing/camping)
2 Scotty power lock rod holders
vertical mount rod storage
2 wise swivel seats with swivels and quick release bases

Annd, the build cost just doubled.

Necessities.... :beer:

Your paint came out great I would say! Totally different boat it looks like. Good work!

As far as the color for the sides... better go with yellow!!! :wink:

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Thanks! It's amazing what a coat of paint will do. I used a 4" roller where I could reach it and then used a chip brush for the tight spots.

Hm... Yellow. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

I like yellow, plus not everyone has a yellow boat. Something different is cool my 2 cents... And added bonus is that its the lady's choice. You did it for her... 8)
https://www.kofflerboats.com/wp-content ... 60x400.jpg

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

I could do a taxi paint scheme on it and call it the "catch cab", since I'm always taking friends out in it, any everyone I know wants a boat ride hahaha.

DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

Alex_c wrote:I could do a taxi paint scheme on it and call it the "catch cab", since I'm always taking friends out in it, any everyone I know wants a boat ride hahaha.
The full on taxi checkered may be a little much for me but, hell go for it if it is your look. I photshopped the Cash Cab logo with "Catch Cab" in black and you could just do a yellow background and have this cut in a black vinyl decal. I like "Catch Cab" that's a clever spin on it and would tie in the yellow nicely! =D>

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Hahah fully checkered would be way too ridiculous for me too. I was thinking of doing the rear 1/4 of the boat with checkers in a triangle shape starting from the spray rail and tapering out towards the gunwale and stern. Much like your design sans logo, but I like the logo...i might use that!!

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Finished the decking today. All the wood pieces are cut and ready to be sanded and painted. Got a couple other small things done today as well. I got some interlocking plastic mats for the floor.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

So originally the plan was to do the deck without carpet and stain it a rich brown or cherry fpr a classy touch. I decided I want the floor to not get hot on my bare feet like it would with a darker stain, but I still want to see the wood grain. The stain i'll be using is varathane "sunbleached". It's a light grey but still lets the grain show through. It will then get 3 coats of urethane with a fourth coat that will have an anti-slip additive for all the top surfaces.

The flooring I will be using is called "multy-tile". It is a black plastic interlocking floor that has gaps to trap dirt and mud. We get a lot of rain, and river fishing can be pretty dirty when you're getting on and off the boat from the shore. Not many river boats have any carpet in them for a reason. I am waiting for my goodies to arrive from walmart so I can cut out the speaker holes, stereo, switch panel and bilge drain. Until then I am going to be sanding and staining the wood that doesn't need any holes in it and working on small bits and pieces. I also plan to get the transom bolted in soon. Once all my holes are drilled and everything in the interior is mocked up, I will flip it over and prep, gluvit, prime and paint the hull. The trailer will also get a wire wheel and a fresh coat of paint.

DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

Looks like you have made some good progress, keep it up! Also sounds like the goodies will be in soon. Look forward to the pictures to come. 8)

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Thanks! I actually got the goodies today, although Walmart messed up and only sent one rod holder. Seats are great and will match the colour scheme of the boat interior 100%. I decided to build a small console for the stereo and switch panel on top of the middle seat on the starboard side. I was going to mount the stereo/speakers elsewhere but decided against cutting up the metal, so I am going to be building boxes for each.

I sanded and stained all the decking today after I picked up the goodies and 75 Ah deep cycle marine battery/box that I also got mounted.

Right now the interior paint is getting a bit chewed up from fitting installing the floors, but I planned on doing a second coat above the deck line from the get go, so I will sand and re-coat it all once everything has been mocked up and fitted. I finally have some spare time this week and the weather is holding up, so I hope to make some more progress with the goal of getting this thing done by June at the latest.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Got the transom reinforcement plate made and the transom bolted in, also refurbed the transom cap and got that mounted too. There were a bunch of holes in it courtesy of the PO, so I used some JB weld to fill them.

I also got the hatch built for the rear deck. This will allow access to the battery and the fuel tank. The hole is big enough that the tank can be easily removed thru the hatch.

All the wood was stained last night so I got 2 coats of spar down today. I also did some "body work" and used the JB weld putty to fill in some holes above the waterline in the hull, as well as some in the gunwale.

I also picked up some more hardware and got my SS piano hinge today. Price wasn't too bad, but still pretty costly. So far I am over $1500 in to this just for materials, hardware, paint, and of course all the new stuff like battery, fuel tank, bilge pump, stereo and speakers, switch panel, and other accessories, etc...but hopefully there aren't any more big expenses looming.

Got the day off tomorrow as well, so I hope to get the boat flipped and start prepping the outside of the hull for some gluvit, primer and paint.

DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

Alex, Hows it coming?