14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
DOBSONFLY

Post by DOBSONFLY »

:beer: :beer: :beer: getting close, let me know when I need to stop in to go fishing! 8)

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Better pack your bags because it'll be soon! All that is left is finishing the paint job (gunwales, transom, interior 2nd coat) and installing a couple more things. Out of town again this weekend but I have lots of time at the end of the month for some fishing.

kensho1976

Post by kensho1976 »

Looks like it's really coming together!

Are you planning on storing your fuel tank under the rear hatch? I've been going back and forth about whether or not to make the tank removable on my build. They're supposed to be removed at the pump to refuel them, and that's not so hard with a 6 gallon tank. But I can't see lifting a 12 gallon "portable" tank out of a boat to refill it. I know it's good practice to fill the tank outside of the boat because of the static charge that builds when the gas is poured. I wonder how many out there actually remove their tanks before filling them?

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

The tank is removable, and is only a 6 gallon. The battery is also under there. I made it so I can refuel without removing the tank, but it's not too hard to get out if I have to. The only real issue is that I have to take off the rear seat to open it and check the fuel level so I might install an inspection hatch in the lid of the existing hatch to check level/refuel.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Got the bow storage locker installed today and re-adjusted the trailer so more weight sits on the tongue. Had to take the boat off the trailer by myself which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I slid the frame and axle down the main beam of the trailer about a foot, so now the bunks go all the way back to the transom and the tongue has much more weight on it. Before with the battery and motors (and no gas tank) installed, the tongue would lift off the ground. Now I can put all my weight (200 lbs) on the transom and bounce up and down, and the tongue doesn't budge. The battery (50 lbs), motor (150 lbs) and gas tank (40 lbs full) should balance the weight and make the tongue a tad lighter which would be ideal.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Wiring done today, no pics but I'll get some up tomorrow. Job was cancelled due to mass flooding in the area so I flew back home for the weekend. Will keep picking away at it tomorrow!

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Today, despite the rain, I managed to install all the hatches and inspection ports, I also install a clear inspection port that allows me to:

1) Access the filler/vent without having to take off the driver's seat to open the large hatch. The large hatch exists to remove the fuel tank and get at the battery. I could have mounted the driver's seat further to the side so it doesn't interfere with the big hatch but it would have been awkward and uncomfortable to drive the boat

2) View the current fuel level. I was going to go with a regular white hatch like the one I used to access the wiring, but I saw the clear hatch and decided to go with that, so now all I have to do is glance at it to see current fuel level. The light inside there will hit the fuel gauge dead on so even at night it will be extremely convenient!

I also ported the speaker boxes I made. I tuned the port to 45 HZ (1.5" D X 4.75" L) - we'll see how it sounds. For sure I will get more volume out of them but hopefully the sound quality won't suffer too badly.

I mounted the antenna so it does not interfere with the bimini top when it's down and so I can use those little slots to secure the oars in while underway. Also wanted to avoid drilling into the hull where possible. The cable was JUST long enough, which is why it's run up the gunwale on an angle.

Anyway, enough blah blah blah...PICTURES!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alex_c on 24 Jun 2013, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

More pics of the bow storage and the trailer adjusted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Some pics of the lights. Might end up adding more in the future, but for now I am very happy. :mrgreen:

I tried to get a pic of the tank's fuel gauge - you can see it very easily in person, without the glare from the exposure.

DanMC

Post by DanMC »

Quality work,your wiring is professional grade !

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Thanks! It ended up a bit sloppier than i'd like with the wires looking messy, but everything is marine grade connectors, glue lined heat shrink and marine grade hardware. That box is sealed in there pretty well with 4200 so hopefully I won't have to work on it for a few years!

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Did a shakedown run today to check for any bugs before I add all the finishing touches. Everything went awesome, except for my rear hatch caving in. I thought the 10 screws holding the hinge in would be enough, but I used short ones so they wouldn't poke through the underside of the wood...well they weren't strong enough and while I was kneeling on it to adjust the trim it collapsed! It's an easy fix, I will add some of the 3/4" square tube and bolt through wood and metal instead of screwing into just wood :oops:

I had some insanely beefy gunwale braces made up that attach to the middle seats, but the boat is so solid I will probably go with something a lot smaller and less in the way.

Everything is really solid :mrgreen: I tried to "jump" my wake and see if the boat had any flex or weirdness going on, but nothing budged. The 2 hp motor putts along at great speed for trolling, the 35 'rude ran awesome, and the seating position was perfect! I was worried that it might be a bit uncomfortable reaching back for the tiller, as some of the tiller boats I have run in the past have been a real chore to handle, but it felt great and I never felt like I was fighting it. I'll probably add a tiller extension for when I am running the river since there is no shortage of debris floating down, and standing up is the only way you can really see what's in front of you when visibility is at 4" (It's like chocolate milk early in the season, and full of little landmines.)

[youtube]K198Pj9PL6A[/youtube]

kensho1976

Post by kensho1976 »

That's a beautiful view. We don't have mountains like that in Florida! Heck, we don't have mountains at all. We're lucky if we have anything classified as a hill.

The boat is looking great. Regarding the back hatch, I used a piano hinge and small screws as well, but I had a lip for it to rest on all the way around. I never had it give way or even bend. I mounted the hinge between the hatch and the deck though, instead of on top, so I don't know if that matters.

Alex_c

Post by Alex_c »

Yeah, I am going to make a lip for it to rest on too. There's a lip along the side where it opens and it's solid, but i clearly need one at the hinge too!

DanMC

Post by DanMC »

Now i just envy you !....great job !