questions about switches and stuff

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russo

Reaction score
so im trying to figure out exactly how im going to wire everything up
i have a place set aside in my boat for a switch/fuse panel, but no idea where to actually get one

ideally id like to have switches for:
- livewell aerator (and some sort of timer)
- nav lights
- red "courtesy" LEDs for night fishing
- bilge pump
- and some sort of battery meter in there as well (2x12 setup, running 12v)

ive seen various "waterproof panels" online but theyre like $100+++ for a deceont one
i was hoping someone on here had a secret source they might share :)
orrr is it as simple as just getting a bunch of switches and making my own setup

thanksssss

i could definitely do that but i was under the impression you had to use like special waterproof switches
will plain old radio shack ones work fine? they will be inside a compartment

A friend of mine did it but his panel was protected very well and he has not had any problems as of yet and its been about 3 years. As long as you put the panel somewhere out of the weather I think you should be alright.

*Livewell timer switches around $40 can be found at cabelas or basspro
Or just use a regular switch and turn it on/off when needed
*Regular switches can be used, but it is better to at least get a rubber boot to go over them
Don't rule out Ebay if you watch and bid you can get a good buy I did a quick search and found these.
https://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories_Boat-Parts-Accessories-Gear_?_rkw=switch panel

https://search.ebay.com/search/sear...s=29697&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&fsop=2&fsoo=2

This one even has a volt meter
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-G...TER-10036_W0QQitemZ330227343473QQcmdZViewItem

wow i hadnt even thought to look at ebay for the panel, thanks
(boy do i feel dumb right now)

I have lots of sources for switches that are all very inexpensive. You could easily make your own panel with a piece of plexi or something and your average switch costs around $2.

2 dollars per switch is more like it, id rather make something myself anyways
i only really need 3 or 4 switches, paying $50 makes me gurgle a bit
and im too impatient to wait for ebay for this part of it

I just got through installing two new switches on my boat. They were $3 each and you can buy the rubber boot to go over them so water cant get in them. That is what I did and it works great. The switches are out on the main part of my console and have been exposed to all kinds of weather with no issues.

You got to look at what a switch is. Basically, when you flip it one way, the circuit is complete, and when flipped the other way, there is a break in the circuit. Bout the only real damage would be if the contacts get too corroded, but unless you submerge it in salt regularly, that shouldn't happen but every 4 or 5 years at the most. 2 bucks plus 5 minutes every 5 years isn't a big deal at all.

Go get a few of those 2 position toggles, the 2 dollar ones, and then cut a piece of plexi glass for your board. Paint the backside of the plexi, and it usually has a pretty good look to it. Drill your holes for the toggles, and walla.