Surf Cart - More Pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been going surf fishing for a few days at a time about once a year. This year I decided that I didn't want to drag all my gear down to the water every day. Looked at the cost of surf carts and couldn't justify buying one. Saw one similar to this on another site and decided to give it a try. The wheels were under $20 for the set at Amazon the cooler was $15 at Wally World, the rest of the materials were from Home Depot. It's 1 1/4" PVC. The tongue is 1" PVC and slides into the 1 1/4" and pinned to make it removable for storage.

Attachments

• cart8.jpg
    cart8.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,337
  • cart7.jpg
    cart7.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,337
Nice job gill hunter.

Not sure where you fish, but the sugar sand on the FL gulf is tough with those wheels. My last cart had these and were much more tolerable.

images

Brine said:
Nice job gill hunter.

Not sure where you fish, but the sugar sand on the FL gulf is tough with those wheels. My last cart had these and were much more tolerable.
Brine,
Thanks. We are going to Holden Beach, NC. Hopefully they will last a little while since I only get to go a few days a year.

gillhunter said:
Brine,
Thanks. We are going to Holden Beach, NC. Hopefully they will last a little while since I only get to go a few days a year.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say they wouldn't last, I found those types of tires to be tough to roll on sugar sand like Panama City Beach. They wanted to drag/plow through the sand instead of rolling on top of it.

Then again, maybe it's because I was carrying a 100 pounds worth of crap on it. :mrgreen:

Brine said:
gillhunter said:
Brine,

Sorry, I didn't mean to say they wouldn't last, I found those types of tires to be tough to roll on sugar sand like Panama City Beach. They wanted to drag/plow through the sand instead of rolling on top of it.

Then again, maybe it's because I was carrying a 100 pounds worth of crap on it. :mrgreen:
Brine,
No problem :LOL2: . We are going this weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold up for us! I'll let you know how the cart worked out. Wish me luck!

Thats a good looking cart you built! My wife got me one a few years ago as a Christmas gift, and they are really nice to have! Brine is right about the wheels/tires though. If you get into loose sand, it can be tough to pull, but should work great on the hard packed stuff. I know the GA coast is mostly hard packed sand, so I would think NC would be similar, and that should work out great for you!

HBT Chris said:
Thats a good looking cart you built! My wife got me one a few years ago as a Christmas gift, and they are really nice to have! Brine is right about the wheels/tires though. If you get into loose sand, it can be tough to pull, but should work great on the hard packed stuff. I know the GA coast is mostly hard packed sand, so I would think NC would be similar, and that should work out great for you!
Brine was right! :LOL2: We had a great time, but I need to find different tires. I turned 60 today, and need something that is easier for an old man to pull :LOL2:

Happy Belated GH =D>

Forget the cart...... How was the fishing??? :LOL2:

HBT Chris said:
Brine said:
Happy Belated GH =D>

Forget the cart...... How was the fishing??? :LOL2:

Now that's the real question! :mrgreen:

It was fair. My son, son-in-law and I decided to each throw $10.00 in a pot and payout $10.00 for the biggest fish and $20.00 for the most fish over 2 days of fishing. Old Dad came home with $30.00. :LOL2:
Mostly caught Spots. I also caught a Skate and a Sand Shark. A great time was had by all!

(when we got home we found out that a thunder storm had taken out the power supply on our computer so I can't post pictures right now)

A couple of pictures. We had a lot of fun. I have decided to convert the suft cart into a garden cart for my wife and look for something like Brine has with bigger tires. :LOL2: :LOL2:

Attachments

• Holden Beach 5.jpg
    Holden Beach 5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 945
  • Holden Beach 4.jpg
    Holden Beach 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 945
  • Holden Beach Vacation 042.jpg
    Holden Beach Vacation 042.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 945
My take on "surf carts" . . . . South Padre style.

Attachments

• SPI_2.jpg
    SPI_2.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 912
  • SPI_1.jpg
    SPI_1.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 912
fool4fish1226 said:
theyyounggun said:
Nice! Ive heard alot of people talk about it but what exactly is surf fishing?

Surf fishing = Simply fishing from the beach
I think I need to take up surf fishing from the looks of that pic

gill, that's a neat little cart you built. I was just at academy looking at one. We don't surf fish here but sometimes we fish off of piers that are kinda long and I have been wanting one for a while.

Did you ever get those bigger tires/wheels ???

Also, a question about the build.... are all 4 of the open ended PVC pipes used as rod holders/carriers??

Latest posts