JonBoatfever

Fisher 1860AW... New Boat -- New Construction

Post by JonBoatfever »

sounds like a project! Keep us updated!

T Man

Post by T Man »

russ010 wrote:
The 9.9 is brand new basically... we used it last weekend at our North Georgia Brawl on the Xpress (which is now on craigslist)... we topped out at 8mph, but it's a long shaft and that boat calls for a short shaft. Hopefully it will do a little better on a jack plate, but that's just going to be for restricted lakes and lakes where it's idle speed only.
The Big Foot motors were designed with lower gearing to push pontoon boats. A 9.9 Bigfoot will always be slower than a 9.9 even with the same pitch prop on it. You said you weren't concerned with speed, and that is a personal preference, however, I like to have the ability to run fast if I have to. We were out on Grand Lake in Oklahoma setting limb lines when we saw a storm brew up in the distance. Had I not been able to run fast to get back to the dock we would have been in trouble. Its always nice to have it and not need it, rather than not have it and be in trouble.

russ010

Post by russ010 »

I agree... but that's why I usually have the 20hp motor on the boat if I want speed.

The 9.9 is for 10hp restricted lakes or idle speed only lakes.

I just realized I haven't uploaded any pics with progress... looks like I have some work to do tonight

russ010

Post by russ010 »

the boat is coming along - and sorry for no pics... I ended up giving it to bassboy1 to do the back deck and rod lockers/middle storage area for me. With all that is going on in my life right now, I really don't have time to do it.

I looked at it last night and holy crap this thing is going to have some storage - and every bit of the boat is accessible by lids except for about 2 feet of the rod locker which I can reach under if need be.

Dawson may post some pics, but I'm going to wait a little bit until I get it back from him later on this week or next. I'm in no hurry, but once I get it back from him I'll have to get my rear in gear to carpet it and finish up the front deck & wiring.

I have got to get out on the water... I'm going through withdrawals

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Are you gonna put some orange and blue camo on that boat as well haha...just kiddin bud

Nice lookin boat you got their! Big and wide as all get out!
As always tight lines, cold beer, & Go Gators!

my build https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=25185

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Had a 101 Rip Tide on my 19' center console; boat had an 8' beam and wieghted over 2500 lbs and that TM would pull it around at 8mph; Could hold my ground and make way in the Jetty aginst a ripping outgoing tide. I love that motor, heck I loved that boat!

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Gators5220 wrote:Are you gonna put some orange and blue camo on that boat as well haha...just kiddin bud

Nice lookin boat you got their! Big and wide as all get out!

I seriously thought about doing orange and blue camo similar to what Brine did to his boat... but I don't have the time. I think I'm going to paint the bottom black, and the top portion and inside in maroon... I keep seeing these new Ranger boats out, and that's similar to what I've layed out for this boat - but I'm still going to put Ranger stickers on it

russ010

Post by russ010 »

simbelle wrote:Had a 101 Rip Tide on my 19' center console; boat had an 8' beam and wieghted over 2500 lbs and that TM would pull it around at 8mph; Could hold my ground and make way in the Jetty aginst a ripping outgoing tide. I love that motor, heck I loved that boat!

well... I hope these 2 motors will be enough for our electric only. I'm not going to put more electric motors on the back with that jack plate. I think what I'm eventually going to do is get a "real" electric outboard - but that will be a little ways down the road. I want to get a 35-40 tiller steer as well

Bugpac

Post by Bugpac »

simbelle wrote:Had a 101 Rip Tide on my 19' center console; boat had an 8' beam and wieghted over 2500 lbs and that TM would pull it around at 8mph; Could hold my ground and make way in the Jetty aginst a ripping outgoing tide. I love that motor, heck I loved that boat!
Wow, thats a stout motor, my 109 will move my boat around about 4.5.

Bugpac

Post by Bugpac »

russ010 wrote:

well... I hope these 2 motors will be enough for our electric only. I'm not going to put more electric motors on the back with that jack plate. I think what I'm eventually going to do is get a "real" electric outboard - but that will be a little ways down the road. I want to get a 35-40 tiller steer as well
My plan as well, a ray would move them nicely, trying to maybe buy a pallet of them agm batterys, need a bunch for them big motors.

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Bugpac wrote:
russ010 wrote:

My plan as well, a ray would move them nicely, trying to maybe buy a pallet of them agm batterys, need a bunch for them big motors.
Right now I have all 7 batteries in the back of the boat, lined in the center going towards the bow. I have 3 Odyssey Trolling Thunder for the 101 Fortrex, and then 3 of the MK Batteries (found in motorized wheelchairs) for the 101 on the back. If I can get to 5mph, I'll be happy. Not sure what the hull speed is, but that's a lot of boat so hopefully it's hull speed is around 6mph

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Well, I had a lot more written down and all the images included... but it seems I can't just post straight from Photobucket anymore and it automatically resize for me -- and I can't download PIXresizer to this work computer... so here are some pics just to show what's going on.

And all thanks to bassboy1 custom fabrication (he pretty much took what I told him I wanted and created it for me. Nothing I would have done different with what he came up with. Great communication and I couldn't be happier. Dawson, you've got some skills is all that I can say.

Here's where we are right now...
12 total compartments:
6 in the transom on the port and star board sides for storage. One will be dedicated to elctronics (3 Genius Noco Battery Chargers, Structure Scan, and who knows what else...
1 huge center transom for 7 AGM batteries (3 for Transom TM, 3 for Bow TM, and 1 for accessories)
1 center hatch behind the livewell so that I can get to all of the livewell plumbing
2 - 8' rod lockers
2 - for storage of cooler (closest to front deck) and then another for all the Plano boxes holding my baits

Here is the transom
DSCI0035.JPG
DSCI0042.JPG
DSCI0041.JPG
Rod Lockers...
DSCI0043.JPG
DSCI0048.JPG
DSCI0047.JPG
DSCI0050.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Wow Russ, that thing is already looking sweet. So I have to ask.....how much would that cost to do what he has done for you? I can't wait to see the finished product.
1984 14 Deep Fisherman Mirrorcraft
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23315

russ010

Post by russ010 »

bigwave wrote:Wow Russ, that thing is already looking sweet. So I have to ask.....how much would that cost to do what he has done for you? I can't wait to see the finished product.
It's hard to put a price on anything like this because it really goes boat by boat in my opinion. Alot of what he is doing for me is custom because I want to be able to access nearly every bit of the boat, so the majority of the money is in the material - and for some reason, aluminum is spiking in price. I only wanted a few of the bins to be waterproof because I already know what I want in them, so the rest didn't have to have as much work done besides bending. I'm not even sure what is in it as far as sheet count - but you can figure anywhere between $250-300 for the sheets being used. Actually - I don't even know what he's used up so far. I will let Dawson say how many sheets of .090 and 1/8" he's used. My guess, total cost for material will be in the range of $1200-1500.

This boat has got a lot of hours in it, and I've been with him for a lot of it so I know now what a PITA it can be when nothing is square to work with. I trust Dawson a lot more than I do anybody else because I've known him for years and have seen nearly all of the work he's done on boats (a lot more than you'll ever see him post about). I wouldn't have a problem just giving the boat to him and letting him do his own design, but I've fished enough tournaments over the years to know exactly the setup I want. I just told him how I wanted it, did some rough sketches and let him work his magic. We're not cutting any corners, so who knows how many hours we've logged into this thing.

If I had the time to do it myself, it would not have looked as quite as nice as it does now. I had it framed out (to an extent) before I gave it to him with angle and square tube, and just told him to take out the material I had put in and just bend the sheets. Reason being is because I don't have to worry about re-bucking rivets a few years down the road.

bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Well I have to say that I understand the whole custom thing......you get what you pay for. I was just curious to a ball park figure, which I figured would be at least 1500, I know how much the aluminum cost. I think I have over 300 bucks in tubing alone on my boat. It is really looking good. =D> =D>
1984 14 Deep Fisherman Mirrorcraft
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23315