Shimano Citica Weights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Okay, call me stupid, but I'm totally lost. Got two new Citicas and tried them both out in a back yard pond. Put a spinner in one, set the "drop" control (the one tht stops it from spinning when it hits the ground). Couldn't cast the thing ny further than about 30 (feet. Tried messing with all the weights but know help. Read all the (very lengthy) instructions but I'm totally lost. --- Oh yeah, heavier lure didn't help either.

I need a down and dirty explanation as to how to set (remove or otherwise) use these silly weights. I still have a Garcia Ambassador 5000D about 35 years old that works a heck of a lot better, plus a lock on-off back real (which I really miss on the Citicas - I tnd to like to back real when needed).

Any help appreciated.

Here is a pic of the side of a Curado(the same frame/setup as a Citica).
picshimanocurado200dhsv26.jpg

There should be a "tab" to pull up on the side of your reel that you twist and the side comes off. This is where you set your centrifugal brakes. If they are pushed "down/in" they are engaged...which means it holds it back more. Pull out and they are opposite. On my Citica, I've got 3 in and 3 out. I don't have any problem with mine. I can get plenty of distance with it. I also usually am able to loosen my "cast control"(the knob on the side) looser than just where it stops at the water....I hardly ever have any problem with backlash. Hope this helps!

Bubba said:
...If they are pushed "down/in" they are engaged...which means it holds it back more...
I don't think so. I may be wrong, but if the weight is pushed in toward the middle, the spool will spin faster when casted, which is basically like loosening the cast control knob on the outside of the reel. If you have the weight pushed to the outside, it causes the spool to spin slower, like tightening your cast control knob. If you get this system tweaked right, you'll be able to cast pretty far, and you shouldn't get many backlashes.

On my Cardiff when I'm throwing swimbaits, I have either all but one or all of the weights pushed to the inside. When I'm throwing smaller baits on my Curado or Cardiff, I'll go to two or three pushed out, depending on the bait.

FishinsMyLife317 said:
Bubba said:
...If they are pushed "down/in" they are engaged...which means it holds it back more...
I don't think so. I may be wrong, but if the weight is pushed in toward the middle, the spool will spin faster when casted, which is basically like loosening the cast control knob on the outside of the reel. If you have the weight pushed to the outside, it causes the spool to spin slower, like tightening your cast control knob. If you get this system tweaked right, you'll be able to cast pretty far, and you shouldn't get many backlashes.

On my Cardiff when I'm throwing swimbaits, I have either all but one or all of the weights pushed to the inside. When I'm throwing smaller baits on my Curado or Cardiff, I'll go to two or three pushed out, depending on the bait.

Yeah, I believe I was wrong on that. I've not really messed with them a whole lot, so I always get it confused one way or the other. I stand corrected... :^o

Right, if the brakes are clicked in then the spool will spin with less friction. The brakes work like a drum style brake on a car, when the spool spins the centrifugal force pushes the little plastic brake to the outside and it scrapes against the inside of the side plate screw housing(the inside of the endcap is just like a brake drum). Brakes whether magnetic or centrifugal come into play at the start of the cast, they keep the spool from overrunning at startup. The "cast control" or spool tension control will have more of an effect on your casting distance, you may be able to loosen that spool up a bit. As long as you stop the spool with your thumb at the end of your cast you won't overrun.

It took me a spool of line to figure it out. When I first got my Cardiff, I set all the weights to the middle because I thought that was the tightest way to have the cast control. I figured I would work my way looser until I reached the optimum cast control. It turns out the weights needed to be on the outer position to be tight. There was no way to pick that thing out #-o :lol: . I figured it out after that.