Phone plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I got my galaxy note 2 (at&t) yesterday and I must say, I really, really like it. The huge screen (it's a handful) is great because I mostly surf and play games/music/videos on my tablet & old phone anyway. Now I have the two combined into one. I'm getting a case that has room for a license and 2 credit cards and some cash (fishing license) - hopefully this will allow me to go without a wallet too. Really this move is so the phone and wallet contents are combined and I have room for the concealed carry pistol in the other pocket. 8)

Just an FYI, the default AT&T rom doesn't come with multitasking like it says in the commercials - it requires an over the air update. So I downloaded a root toolkit from xda-developers.com, watched a youtube video and had my phone rooted in about 5 minutes. Don't roll your eyes, if you can read you can do it too - though it voids your warranty. I'm pretty certain my 11 year old could do it, it is that foolproof. After rooting, I installed another rom called 'CleanRom' from xda developers - after watching another youtube video. It is the At&T rom from the over the air update without any AT&T programs left (like $9 a month navigator) - also it has more toggles to play with AND most importantly, has unlimited multitasking! By default Samsung locks you into 10 or so programs to multitask with. These are great, but sometimes I like to play games while watching youtube, and this allows me to set it up that way. The thing just rocks out on benchmark tests, better (in my opinion) than anything else out there. I waited for this phone since October, and it has met each and every one of my expectations. One of the fasted phone/tablets I have ever used. Oh yeah, it has a stylus too for surfing, writing, playing, whatever.

If you want one, do NOT pay $299 from at&t, but find a deal for $99 and get them to match the price for you. I was ready for an upgrade, and talked really nice to the gal on the line- she helped me out, eventually. Anyway, just wanted to put in a plug if anyone was looking for a new phone.

By the way, that big screen is really handy when using fishing maps and looking at lakes on satellite pictures :)

yea the rooting was very easy to do took me a hour of reading to figure out what i was doing then like 10 minutes to actually root it now to utilize the root is beyond me lol i have a few apps for rooted phones but havnet messed with it much since i rooted it

what are some things you utilize with the root?

nick4203 said:
what are some things you utilize with the root?

Primarily tethering for me - without root ATT wants to charge me extra each month to turn on the connection. This allows me to turn it back on.
Titanium backup requires root, but you can freeze and sometimes uninstall useless processes (bloat) and backup all your apps and user data
Used to be screenshots required root, but not with the later versions of android.
Also if you have a galaxy whatever, tegra overclock requires root to overclock your processor. I have used this with my old phone to keep it comparable to other devices as they got better.
But the number one reason to root your phone is to install a custom recovery like clockworkmod- and begin to install different ROMs (operating systems - usually the latest and greatest). Usually people combine flashing roms with titanium backup to quickly restore their programs on the newly flashed, blank device. If you haven't tried it yet, you would be amazed at what a custom rom would look/act like on your phone. I'd suggest looking at reviews of them on youtube before you try it. It is a lot of work to reload your phone back with all your programs, just to do it again the next day because you didn't like the rom.

yea i got titanium and the clock work deal

got the backing up down (i think)

and have read a lil on the custom roms thats whats next for me but have yet to try it out or read to much in to it i have an lg thrill on att network this is my first phone since smart phones came out my last cell phone was the razor when it first came out hahaha i have a love hate relationship with cell phones i like the fact that its like having a computer with you at all times but dislike that anybody can TRY to get a hold of you

where do you download stuff for your phone just from torrent sites?

nick4203 said:
where do you download stuff for your phone just from torrent sites?

Best place I found to download stuff is www.xda-developers.com. Most of the development for my phones/tablets (HTC & Samsung) happens there and other sites are linking to them for their sources. You can go to forums and lookup your phone there. The knowledge there is pretty amazing. I think this is the forum for your phone...https://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1265

When looking for roms in the android devolopment folder.. the first part of the description tells you if it is a rom, guide, kernel, etc... Personally I choose my roms for usefulness so i read the last 10 pages or so of the discussion - if people are having serious issues, I avoid that rom. Two things to know - how to get into recovery (I had to use ADB once and that was 'fun' to learn quickly) and can you get back to a stock rom easily. I found this wasn't always easy with some phones - but I never tried an LG. My galaxy S would return to stock very easily, so even though I softbricked it many times, it always got back to a stock image start over.

Latest posts