28 Inch Red Drum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
We went out fishing this afternoon. I caught some live finger mullet, and some shrimp (I noticed the shrimp were really thick at the hole I catch them in....can't wait for baiting season)

Anyhow, we fished near that location, I caught a small spot tail (red drum) and a couple of decent-sized ladyfish, which always put up a good fight and make spectacular runs and leaps when hooked. Also caught a couple of croaker, and of course, my favorite...pinfish...LOL

As the tide rose, we went to another location where we fish a lot. I caught another ladyfish, and lots of pinfish. My girlfriend caught a small spot tail, and several pinfish. As the tide got a little higher, we saw the unmistakable sight of a spot tail cruising along an oyster bed, feeding, with the tip of its tail coming out of the water, what they call 'tailing' We could tell it was a big one.

So, my girlfriend threw her rig over by that oyster bed. A few minutes later, when I saw the rod bend and heard the drag start going off, I said "there he is"

Sure enough, there he was, a massive spot tail bass, the biggest one she's ever caught, and as much as I hate to admit it, I haven't even caught one this big. I've caught some 24" and 25", but nothing like this.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-hc-B-r2c&list=TLXHYUlULAwnM

Me too! That spot we were fishing in has been a good one over the years. Normally, we catch small spot tail there, anywhere from 12-15", with a few 16-18" fish in there. We've never caught one this big in that location. It was really neat seeing him tailing just minutes before catching it.

Nice catch! Those redfish get big. Here is one my wife caught last winter.

uploadfromtaptalk1378653584228.jpg

Nice. Bull red fishing heats up here in nw florida in the fall. There are some around right now, according to "catching" reports.
Me and my boy did pretty good last year, his biggest was 39" . Can't wait for the fall, bull reds and bass fishing.

Latest posts