Info Needed - Lure to Take, Cat Island, Bahamas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocWatson

Reaction score
I'm headed down to Cat Island for 10 days on Jan. 30th for some R&R 8) 8) 8) and wondered if there are any "must take along" lures that anybody can recommend or swears by for spinning gear, bone fishing on the flats (never done it) or other shallow water/shore-bound fishing. I've heard that I'll have to be alert for sharks when wading in some area and can't remain in the water with strung fish. I've never done this type of fishing before, so any and all info/advice is welcome. I know I should get on a blue water trip, but don't know if I can swing that and a dive trip too. And I HAVE to do at least one, two-tank dive trip !!!

I'm going with my lady and fishing will NOT be on the top of my list. :wink:

Doc I have only been to cat one time and was fishing for big bills. Inshore I am not sure of, but I would go with local caught bait fish or swim baits that look like the native bait - greenys etc. Anyways enjoy the trip - the place is amazing. :beer:

Thanks for the input. The landlord of the cottage we're renting recommends bringing frozen squid in a cooler. If I were gonna bring any, I'd take it fresh (iced down) and freeze it after a couple days there. I know squid is practically universal, but also know that in Florida they use some kind of shrimp or an imitation for bonefish and permit on the flats. The small sharks should eat anything I throw, but I'd like to catch a gamefish and something for the grill.

Bring a floating rattletrap in the 2.5 oz range, a few Sp Minnows, a polaris popper and some teaser flies

Bonefish are bottom feeders so some smaller bucktails with Uncle Josh trailers (they make shrimp colors!) - reel them slow so they just "tick" off the bottom

Also, maybe a popping cork and get some fresh shrimp local

BTW - most "fresh" squid you will get this time of year has already been frozen

Thanks Dave !! Good advice, as always. Didn't know they could sell previously frozen as fresh. But these days it really is buyer beware. [-X

Check out my entry on the Paul Dinkum Shrimp. Anything that eats shrimp should pounce on it.