Santee River "Rapids"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
Found a lateral step above US Hwy 52, running toward Lake Marion Dam.

100_7759.JPG

100_7757.JPG

Interesting, to say the least. Never knew it existed, or at least, never noticed it on google earth. The eastern seaboard fall line is well above this, at Columbia. Rock ledges and such formations are virtually non-existent below the fall line, but there are a few. This is one of them. Another one exists at Hwy 34 on the Great PeeDee River, and is visible when the gauge at PeeDee (Hwy 301) is under 8 ft.

Yes, when they let water out of the gates at Lake Marion dam, it is a bit higher, as shown by the current-swept vegetation. With my hull being 17 years old with some corrosion, and no UHMW, I decided not to run this, even as tempting as it was.

There are 3 on the santee river. All above hwy 52. First one coming up the river has a route around to the right that is slightly deeper and manageable.

Amkilla, welcome to the board! 8) And thanks for the info! I live down on the coast, and like to run the various rivers to explore them. Google earth is an invaluable resource.

Been all over the lower parts of the Santee, all the way up to the Diversion Canal. This was my first time going above there. I figured it would be like the section between Jamestown and St Stephen, lots of shoaling. My plan was to put in at the diversion canal and run all the way to the dam and back. Never expected to see a line of rocks, though. Imagine my surprise! Sure enough, when I went home and looked on google earth to figure out where we went, I found the rock ledge that I had previously mistaken for a sunlight glint on the satellite images.

But in all my searching, even rolling back imagery dates, looking for lower water levels, I only see 2 areas of rocks, never could find the 3rd one?

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.44.58 AM.png

This is the one we went to:

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.47.21 AM.png

Looking at the image, it appears that there may be a channel, or a "dynamite ditch" to the right side. Possibly where they used a drag line, or even dynamited a channel to get around this rock ledge?

Anyhow, this one appears as the first rapid with the yellow pin on my first screenshot.

So, where is the third rapid? Did I run over it on the way up? :shock: Or is it farther toward the dam?