Trolling motor advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBassin

Reaction score
I've got a nice 14ft v-bottom now, not new to boats or bassfishin, but new to actually owning a boat. I've always been a backseater in tournaments, etc.

Looking for recommendations for purchasing whatever is need to rig up a trolling motor on the bow and general info on batteries ect.

After returning from my vacation and having a 34lb thrust motor on the 1448 john boat i was using not be worth a crap in the 25mph winds i was fishing in I would suggest getting the biggest motor that is in your budget. I would look at a 45 to 54lb thrust motor that is the largest you can get in a 12 volt.
As far as a battery goes if you are going to fish electric only lakes I would go with a 27 group deep cycle. some guys may suggest the agm batteries, but all you need is a wet cell deep cycle. be sure to charge it up as soon as you can after use and keep the cells full with distilled water.

Wayne

You can go bigger than 54lbs.thrust(12 volt) but you will need more batteries(2-24volt/3-36volt).Actually you can use 2 or more batteries for 12 volt system hooking them in parrallel but not sure your looking for that.
Like redbug said the biggest your budget can afford.

I love Craigslist.

Found me a never used Minn Kota #55-42 Maxxum hand controlled TM for $230. =D>

Took back the cheap wal-mart group 27 after reading some reviews and got a nice Interstate G27 from Gander Mountain.

My whole boat is pretty much from Craiglist :mrgreen:

Now to get Little League season over with so I can really get to some fishin! 8)

Nice job on the finds!
I like craigslist too but i'm usually not buyin' just lookin'!! :mrgreen:
Have you posted any pics yet? I'd like to see what kind of set up you got.

IndyBassin said:
I've got a nice 14ft v-bottom now, not new to boats or bassfishin, but new to actually owning a boat. I've always been a backseater in tournaments, etc.

Looking for recommendations for purchasing whatever is need to rig up a trolling motor on the bow and general info on batteries ect.

what you need is a little 30lb thrust trolling motor and get a trojan deep cycle battery for it and u should be set 8)

team e-fishin-c said:
IndyBassin said:

what you need is a little 30lb thrust trolling motor and get a trojan deep cycle battery for it and u should be set 8)

I have a 30lb thrust motor that was way way way to small when the wind was blowing. it is fine on a calm day but if the wind is blowing it sux!!
your new 42lb thrust will be great I have one of those also. your battery will give you plenty of power at a fair price good luck

Wayne

55 pound thrust should work, all is mounted and i'm headed to bed to get up and fish in about 4 hours :mrgreen:

pics of boat, fish and one exhausted dad to come tomorrow

It's a day after tomorrow and no pics of boat, fish, and one exhausted dad. how come did something happen? lol j/k hope everything is ok and you just didnt have time or was lazy to do it. anyways we are waiting to see some awsome pics! cant wait...

Thanks KAI