7.62 Battle Rifles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish - I live in the S.S.R. of Connectistan where we have legislation pending to classify water pistols and other liquid propulsion devices as "Assault Weapons"

I would love to have an M1A. I do have a little cheap Mosin Nagant. It does pretty well for what it is. I was a lucky one and got one that real accurate at a hundred yards. I have not shot it out further than that. I was very surprised at how accurate it turned out to be.

KMixson said:
I would love to have an M1A. I do have a little cheap Mosin Nagant. It does pretty well for what it is. I was a lucky one and got one that real accurate at a hundred yards. I have not shot it out further than that. I was very surprised at how accurate it turned out to be.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Moisin , they took on Hitler's troops and did an admirable job. With some good reloads I've seen some that group very well [ 1 to 1 1/2 MOA]. If you have one that shoots surplus well you can't ask for a better bolt rifle that you can depend on for anywhere near the price. They are one of the few quality rifle's that's still affordable, and in today's market that's saying something! There's a lot of aftermarket parts being built for them now including some stocks with adequate length of pull for USA sized shooters. :D :beer:

onthewater102 said:
I wish - I live in the S.S.R. of Connectistan where we have legislation pending to classify water pistols and other liquid propulsion devices as "Assault Weapons"

You have my condolences sir. I sometimes wonder how long it will be before they ban fishing hooks and steak knives. I couldn't live like that. Your state would throw me under the jail for owning inanimate objects despite having a spotless "record" for my sixty years on this earth. :-D

Jim , the sad truth is commercial ammo for popular centerfire hunting rds is high .While surplus full metal jacket rds for 7.62x51[308win] can be found for 60 cents per rd . Hunting grade ammo now costs from $20 to $40 a box I'm fortunant in the fact I reload ,but even reloading component prices have risen to record levels . A lb of powder now goes for $30 to $32 , primers 3 to 5 cents apiece and decent hunting grade bullets from 25 cents to 35 cents a piece making the cost of reloading 7.62x51 or any full power hunting rd around 55 to 60 cents a rd The Blackouts reloading cost is 40 cents to 50 cents per rd. due to less powder and lighter weight bullets Both of those estimates assume using "free" old brass . The same is true with most popular centerfire hunting rds 243 win, 6mm rem, 30-30, 270win, 30-06, 7mm magnum all START around $1 a rd nowadays . Of course you can still find bulk 5.56 FMJ "plinking" grade ammo still relatively inexpensive but the same costs factors hold true when you use something other than full metal jackets.

Right on the money as far as reloading for the blackout, not a lot of powder in that little case. with premium bullets you're looking at @$0.60/round.

Nice to swap uppers and go from 5.56 to 7.62 that quick. The blackout only needs about 8.5 to 9" of barrel due to the light charge and from a 16" barrel will approximate a .30-30

If nothing else its performance is equal to or superior to the 7.62x39 in an AR platform (AR's and tapered rounds have inherent issues), though ammo isn't as cheap.

It's an acquired taste for sure, but probably the best (not cheapest) .30 cal option in the AR world without stepping up to an AR10 in .308

KMixson said:
Agnes Hailstone on Life Below Zero uses a Mosin and she's helping provide for a pretty large family with that rifle. It's shown her taking large game at 250 yards quite often so it must be a pretty capable gun.

I've got a Japanese Arisaka type 99 chambered in 7.7 Jap that my step-dad brought back from the war. With the modern ammo it's supposedly got a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps and a muzzle energy of 2415 ft. lbs. I keep telling myself I'm going to take the thing deer hunting some day, but so far I always chicken out and take my old pre 64 model 70, chambered in 270 cal. I'd like to shoot the Arisaka more but the cost of ammo keeps me from it. That ammo is $42 + tax now, so that's over $2.25 per round now. Needless to say it doesn't get much use. :roll: Maybe I should just attach the bayonet and try to conserve ammo. :lol: Or maybe I should just take one of the swords that came with the rifle and go hunt with that. haha

There are 2 military weapons that I'd love to own and they have been on my wish list every since I saw one of each at a relatives house when I was a teen. One was the Garand, the other was a German Luger. At current prices, it's doubtful that I'll ever own either of them though unless I run across one in trade for a WWII Japanese officers sword or something like that. :(

JMichael said:
There are 2 military weapons that I'd love to own and they have been on my wish list every since I saw one of each at a relatives house when I was a teen. One was the Garand, the other was a German Luger. At current prices, it's doubtful that I'll ever own either of them though unless I run across one in trade for a WWII Japanese officers sword or something like that. :(

Field grade and sometimes even higher grade Garands are still available thru the Civilian Marksmanship Program at a lot better prices that you'll usually find on the street or gunshow, you might check them out . They also have a Forum with individuals selling the Garands all the time. Depending on type your Japanese Officers sword could cover a good portion of a Garands cost maybe even the whole costs , Many sell for some pretty good money. Good luck in your quest.

ray55classic said:
I've got a Japanese Arisaka type 99 chambered in 7.7 Jap that my step-dad brought back from the war. With the modern ammo it's supposedly got a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps and a muzzle energy of 2415 ft. lbs. I keep telling myself I'm going to take the thing deer hunting some day, but so far I always chicken out and take my old pre 64 model 70, chambered in 270 cal. I'd like to shoot the Arisaka more but the cost of ammo keeps me from it. That ammo is $42 + tax now, so that's over $2.25 per round now. Needless to say it doesn't get much use. :roll: Maybe I should just attach the bayonet and try to conserve ammo. :lol: Or maybe I should just take one of the swords that came with the rifle and go hunt with that. haha

That's a NICE Arisaka that looks to be in very good shape from the photos. It appears to be an early production model [early ones had much better quality wood and workmanship than ones made later] My father brought one back at the end of the war He was with the 38th Infantry div. and made landings in New Guinea , Leyte, and Luzon. He had acquired enough combat "points" he was among the first to come home , so they didn't grind the royal chrysanthium off the breech . Unfortunately it and a few more of his firearms were stolen about 10 years ago . He used his hunting deer a couple times when I was growing up and it brought more than a few deer home. Power wise they are very similar to an 30-06. Look at it another way even a $2.25 a rd how many rounds do you actually shoot hunting? A box could last you a few years . I've seen quite a few of the old style self contained Lee loader's that used to sell pretty reasonably but I haven't priced one lately . With some primers[$4 a 100], a lb of $30 powder [about 150rds per lb] , and a box of Enfield .303 bullets [$30 per 100], you could shoot it a LOT for under $100. I often see those loaders at shows PM me if you'd like me too look for one.[/quote]

Hmm hadn't thought about any forums dealing with garands but that's an interesting thought. I've run across that Civilian Marksmanship program site before but never understood how it worked or what their prices were. Is there a main page or something that guides you through their site? Unless it's some heirloom, most of the "basic" swords that I've seen sold for $500-1500 depending on condition.

Here's what I have. The top one has a "chromed/shiny" scabbard. It's not stainless because it has rust on it but I suspect it was for wearing with a dress uniform while the bottom one has a heavier made scabbard that is a flat green (more of a camo) color. The handle wrap is frayed on the bottom one.

Both swords have "signatures/engravings" under the handles but I can't read them even though I spent 2 years in Japan while in the military. :lol: I have made some headway with deciphering them but it's been a while since I worked on that and I can't seem to locate my notes on that right now.

Flip side.

Oh! Almost forgot, the mum has been ground off of the Arisaka that I have. All that's visible now is the outline and some grinding/file marks and it's not a numbers matching gun as the bolt and firing pin are numbered 119 but the gun serial is 15335. I know these were made at several different armories but the low serial on this one and the quality makes me think it was probably and early war manufactured gun.

JMichael said:
Hmm hadn't thought about any forums dealing with garands but that's an interesting thought. I've run across that Civilian Marksmanship program site before but never understood how it worked or what their prices were. Is there a main page or something that guides you through their site?Go to CMP.org Unless it's some heirloom, most of the "basic" swords that I've seen sold for $500-1500 depending on condition.

JMichael.... go to cmp.org [NOT the AUCTION site] there should be a number of windows click sales and service or rifle sales an read them it should have a window or page concerning eligibility basically it's the same as regular firearms sales with the exception of requiring you to belong to a state or local orginazation that holds approved shooting matches. Here in Texas I'm in the Texas State Rifle Association. A current membership will satisfy that requirement. Arkansas has a number of eligible "clubs" and I believe a state rifle org. So for just the cost of a membership in one of them that requirement is covered [TSRA is $25]. All the required documentation must be sent to the CMP and must be on file with them before any order is accepted . The Garand you really want is the "special" grade which has a NEW stock, handguards, a NEW criterion barrel and sling ,all the metal parts including the receiver are in very good condition and have been completely refinished. You can get this special grade Garand for $995 plus $30 shipping. Which to my way of thinking is a BARGAIN . You'd pay that for a mismatched worn out piece of crap at many places. There are 2 cheaper grades for sale, but for a genuine M1 Garand rifle in almost "new" condition the "special" is definitely the way I'd recommend to go. I believe the "special" is also available in .308 win making less expensive "surplus ammo" a reality. Properly maintained your great great grandchildren could use this rifle.

Here's what I have. The top one has a "chromed/shiny" scabbard. It's not stainless because it has rust on it but I suspect it was for wearing with a dress uniform while the bottom one has a heavier made scabbard that is a flat green (more of a camo) color. The handle wrap is frayed on the bottom one.

JM ...I must admit I don't know very much about swords. I would google WW2 Japanese swords . I know there are a number of outfits online that will ID your swords [with clear photos] and even make an offer. {One such source is "quanoline.com} I doubt I would take any online offer [probably a ridiculous low ball] but it would in my opinion be worth the time to get them ID'ed to know what you have for reference , for posterity , and for any possible future sales.

Both swords have "signatures/engravings" under the handles but I can't read them even though I spent 2 years in Japan while in the military. :lol: I have made some headway with deciphering them but it's been a while since I worked on that and I can't seem to locate my notes on that right now.
Oh! Almost forgot, the mum has been ground off of the Arisaka that I have. All that's visible now is the outline and some grinding/file marks and it's not a numbers matching gun as the bolt and firing pin are numbered 119 but the gun serial is 15335. I know these were made at several different armories but the low serial on this one and the quality makes me think it was probably and early war manufactured gun.

JM.....I'm also no "expert" on Arisaka's but I do agree your Arisaka is an early example of the type 99 rifle. If it has a chrome lined bore that would prove it's an early model , I believe they were the first military rifle to have this feature and it was dropped mid war. Your correct in that they were made in 7 different Japanese factories and 2 factories in occupied Manchuria. Where was your Father in law in the Pacific? He and my Father may have crossed paths, Stranger things have happened, I met a man who's Father served in Kruger's 6th army of which the 38th div was a part of for a while. If you'd ever consider letting it your Arisaka go PM me. and BTW I enjoy the conversation with you........ Ray

Latest posts