Yamaha Jet pump all-stainless wear ring assembly

amk

Post by amk »

I've been thinking of adding a support maybe just angle welded at a forty five to bolt to the pump and bolted to the transom so I can remove to seal the pump when I take it on and off. I've got a few weeks anyway since I had a rod bearing eat it.

bellman

Post by bellman »

amk wrote:I've been thinking of adding a support maybe just angle welded at a forty five to bolt to the pump and bolted to the transom so I can remove to seal the pump when I take it on and off. I've got a few weeks anyway since I had a rod bearing eat it.

I made my ride plate out 1/4" aluminum plate also. I used 1/4" plate because the cast stock ride plate is brittle. It's pretty common on standup skis to bump the bottom of the ski and lots of people crack stock plates even on sand bottom surf riding. I bowfish below dams on rivers with a lot of whitewater with rocks everywhere. I've found myself floating backwards into very shallow water and hitting rocks, especially with a fish on. If I hit pump first, I know it'll be toast. That's why I made my plate extend about 2 inches past the pump. Also, an inch of hard rubber is sandwiched between the rideplate and the pump cavity so it will be a little resilient and absorb some of the impact. The last inch or so is bent very slightly upward so with a little luck, it'll hopefully sort of plane over a rock instead of coming to a dead stop.

Charles