battery charging

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselaw

Reaction score
i was looking for some info on how the batteries on a boat charge. i could not find any quick links on here , but i thought u guys might help. i know i need an off board charger for the trolling motor and acc. but what about my cranking battery? any advice is welcome.

wellit is 2 for trolling(24v) and one for cranking. i heard about the bank chargers, will the motor chrage my cranking battery while running? if so i just need to charge the trolling batteries every time. right? and that would b a 24v chrager correct?

For an off board charger you would have to charge one at a time unless it comes with 2 separate sets of wires (one for each battery) for the trolling batteries.

Depending on how big your motor is, It should charge the cranking battery (long runs every now and then).

I had a guest charger that was an onboard that I never really mounted. I just let it sit in the back so technically I could of argued it was an off-board charger.

lol, I'm too cheap to ever buy an onboard...plus the fact I seldom fish 2 days in a row where "speed charging" is a factor. For a couple hundred bucks I can set the charger in the boat & move it around to 2-3 separate batteries :wink:

ST

put a switch between the two batteries for the tm so you can turn the connection between them off and make them chargable by a 12 charger then you can use the two bank

Keep in mind you're better-off charging them as soon as you get home, not leaving them drained until just before the next time you go fishing....they'll sulphate.

ST

SlimeTime said:
Keep in mind you're better-off charging them as soon as you get home, not leaving them drained until just before the next time you go fishing....they'll sulphate.

ST

:-k :?: Sulphate? what's that mean?

Some helpful info:

https://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm#6

ST

That's good info! Thanks for posting it.
thumbsup_smilie.gif