Jet Impeller Nut Removal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotus623

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I was wondering, how in the world are you all getting the big brass nut that holds the jet impeller off? In the manual it tells you to bend the tabs straight and take it off. I dont know about you guys but the engine just spins when I turn the nut (duh!!). It seems as if it would come right off, but at 1 1/4" I would imagine it is torqued down pretty good.

I guess I am going to put an impact gun on it tonight. I just don't see how else one would get it loose. I guess you could use a flywheel holder, but I wouldnt want to put all of that strain on the driveshaft/crank junction.

They usually aren't hard to get off. The impact wrench should work or you can try putting a big wrench on it and tapping the wrench with a block of wood or something similar. If that doesn't loosen it, block the impeller so it won't turn and then use a wrench on it. I usually use a hammer handle because it's usually handy and works well. BTW, the nut uses a 1 1/8 wrench or socket. Don't try a 1 1/4, you could round off the nut.

Have no idea why it's so hard to get off. Could be corrosion on the threads. Might be a good idea to spray the nut and shaft with some Liquid Wrench or something similar and let it soak in for a day or so before you put an impact wrench on it. Actually, I think that an impact wrench should be your last resort. I'd try using a hand wrench first. The nut isn't usually tightened down with a lot of force. Just finger tight and then bumped down a little more with a wrench.

I just took one apart not too long ago and agree it shouldn't be that tight, more like LarryMc said they should be.
Try what others are saying, put the wrench on it and then sharply hit the wrench or socket with a block of wood, should come off, sort of like a poor mans impact wrench!

Dang it!!! What the world is it so tight on there for?? Especially since the shop that sold it to me said he changed the water pump impeller. If that jet impeller is seized onto the shaft I know that it wasn't actually changed.

Either that or he just tightened the nut up too far.

I bet one little tap with the impact gun will taker right off. Ima get to it tonight. Ill let yall know how it goes!

Thanks for all the input guys. Bumped it off with a quick easy shot of the impact gun. Impeller fell down on its own also. I think I bought. Pretty well maintained motor!

Now that was easy, sometimes things do go right---SOMETIMES! :lol:
Glad to see you got it off without any problem.

overboard said:
Now that was easy, sometimes things do go right---SOMETIMES! :lol:
Glad to see you got it off without any problem.

Thanks!! I like to take things apart so I can keep em greased etc. Nothing more irritating than a 1-2 hr job stretching out to 4-5hrs over some seized hardware...........

rotus623 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. Bumped it off with a quick easy shot of the impact gun. Impeller fell down on its own also. I think I bought. Pretty well maintained motor!

thumbup.gif

Latest posts