Confidence lures and simplifying the tackle box.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18775

Reaction score
I was fishing with a friend and he was impressed with how much time he was tying on lures, and how much time I had a lure in the water. He mentioned it to a friend, and it became an email discussion. The friend was impressed with my “system” and thought that it may be a good starter kit for non-boaters to use while fishing tournaments. At the time, he ran a website, and asked me to write this article. Recently I pulled it back up and added a bit to it…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fished with a number of people that had massive tackle systems in $30,000 bass boats who spent more time tying on lures and changing colors of lures than actually dragging a bait through the water, and I fished with some that only fished one lure because it was “the one”. Over time, I figured that both of these styles were not right for me.

Years ago I made a few decisions about my bass fishing. First, I was not going to be a bigtime professional. My boat was not going to cost more than my car and would have to be able to fit in my garage. I hate tripping or stepping on fishing rods, so I do not want a dozen of them scattered on the deck. And to eliminate paralysis by analysis, I decided to simplify my lure selection. Here is a bit of my methodology and the science behind it.

Scientists have determined that black bass possess more cone cells than rod cells in their eyes. This makes bass a “diurnal predators” and they have excellent color perception. This does not mean they see color the same as humans for a couple of reasons. One, each individual’s eyes varies on the number of red, green and blue receiving cone cells in the eye, which is the reason people argue over color definitions, and why a significant portion of the population is deemed “color blind”. Yep, I am one of those people.

The main reason colors appear differently to bass is their environment is different than ours. Light does not penetrate water as well as it does air, and thankfully air is not as murky as some of the bass water I love to fish. So, before you fall in love with a manufacturer’s latest and greatest phenomenal lure color, think about color in the environment that the bass is in. Churned up delta water that looks too thick to drink is going to show the fish colors differently than a gin clear highland reservoir.

As light diffuses in water, colors will disappear. The colors disappear in this order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and black. The depth of this disappearance changes with water clarity. Red may disappear in 6” of water in parts of the Sacramento Delta, but still be visible in 20’ of water at Lake Pardee. The main point is green is in the center of that list, and is visible to bass in the widest range of water conditions. Green is also the most common color in their environment, and the most common color of baits on the wall of your local tackle shop. White, fluorescent orange and chartreuse are what I consider flash colors, along with gold and silver for metallic lures and blades. These accent or flash colors help in cloudy water, but may be a detriment in clear water.

Please note that this list does not have the words watermelon, junebug, hematoma, coachdog or electric on it. These are names of colors or color combinations created by lure manufacturers to catch fishermen. When XYZ Lures comes out with the latest hot color of “wheat grass vermilion”, it does not mean you have to run out and buy it. You are a fisherman, not a collector of fashionista shoes.

On to confidence lures. Each of us finds a hand full of lures that work. When in doubt, tie “X” on. My father’s was a flatfish. Bass, trout, steelhead and salmon all were hooked by my father with a flatfish. Me? I have caught few fish with that lure. Part rhythm, part patience, a lack of holding my mouth right…it all added up to flatfish not being high on my list. Another fan favorite that doesn’t make my list is the spinnerbait. I use inline spinners like the Roostertail for trout and smallies, but the big bladed safety-pin style spinnerbait is not a fish catching machine in my hands.

So, my list may not fit you, but it may give you an idea how to organize your tackle.

To simplify my tacklebox, I eliminated those lures that I haven’t caught fish with or do fish well. I took the lures that were left and really analyzed what they were, and how they fit together. I simplified my selections to define types of lures. Many specific lures fit these types, and the total of them allows me to fish the water column from top to bottom. After researching color theory, and a number of years of experience, I decided to limit my color selection. Every type of lure gets a maximum of 5 color combinations, and those are combinations of white, black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple, with an occasional silver or gold flash.

I will start with hard baits, and start at the top. Topwater bits are the big fun of bass fishing, and I carry a few. My topwater box has a couple of vintage Jitterbugs (black and leopard frog), Rapala Skitter Pops (shad and leopard frog), and Zara Spooks (white and black). Some soft baits fit this list, brown and green scum frogs, and a soft plastic version of the Zara Spook called the Money Hound in the color Black Lab (gold-black). Add a couple of buzz baits in green and black and my topwater box is full.

Crankbaits are high on my list, and they fish the water column from 1 to 12 feet. There are many brands, but I especially like old Bagley’s Killer B and DB lures. They fit my style of fishing. Add to that the fact that 3 of my largest bass were caught with the same DB-3 in brown-chartreuse crawdad pattern. I also use 2 colors of Rebel diving crawdads. Stripers whack these. Some old Thin Fin Shad are part of the mix. They cast like a potato chip, but are spectacular in the 1 to 5 foot range on light line. A few Rapala Shad-Raps and a vintage Big O fill out the list. Colors available: brown-chartreuse crawdad, Tennessee shad (basically black and white), red craw and green craw and perch (black & gold).

Hard jerk baits are nearly always in my fishing selection, but the number is small. My needs are met with a box of floating, suspending and some countdown baits with a box of small Rapala (straight and jointed), Rapala Husky jerks in 3 sizes and a couple of Yo Zuri baits. Colors available: Rainbow trout, shad, clear clown (clear plastic with a red head), blue-orange and gold-green.

Most writers now call them lipless crankbaits, but I will always think of them as Rattletraps, no matter which company makes them. Smallies, spots and trout in Folsom Lake attack them, and stripers smack the big ones in the Sacramento Delta. I carry them in 1/2oz, 3/16oz and 1/4oz. Colors available: Blue, black-silver, gold, fire tiger (green-chartreuse) and red.

The soft baits start with straight worms. You can get lost searching these in most big tackle stores. Way too many to list, and trying to figure them all out and ways to rig them could take you a lifetime. I started fishing these as a youngster with the original Cream worm; toss, slow retrieve, repeat. It caught lots of fish, including a 20 pound striper in the American River. For many years I have used Charlie Brewer Sliders in the same way, and they still catch fish. I do have a couple hand pours that friends make that I like, and a couple of sizes of Senkos. Weighted, unweighted, nose hooked, Texas Rigged or whacky rigged all are decisions to be made on the water. Colors available: red, brown-orange tail, black-chartreuse tail, motor oil brown, watermelon green. Total selection is 7 to 10 bags.

Curl tail or flip tailed worms and grubs have been the staple for tackle stores for decades. They can and will scare away fish in clear water, but push enough water for bass to find them in murky water or at night. An incredible number of these are sold each year, and I have fought the addiction to this bait. I have reduced this to an easily managed four worms: Reactions Innovations Big Unit (9 1/2” in black or blue-black), Culprit 6” worms (brown-orange tail, black-chartreuse tail, electric blue, purple) ,Yamamoto 4” grubs (brown-orange tail, purple and chartreuse) and Little Bits in smoke or blue. The larger worms are easily cut down to a smaller size and rigged in multiple ways. The little bits are great on dart head jigs on 6# test.

Soft jerk baits found their way into my box about 15 years ago. Mostly Bass Assassins products, I end up using them as a falling or as a skipping bait, especially during when shad bait balls are busting the surface. In reservoirs with trout, a dying rainbow pattern falling will get some exciting strikes from aggressive smallies. The current inventory has a total of five selections of 3”, 5” and 6” baits in straight and split tail in a variety of three colors: Pearl, rainbow trout, and shad.

I have been having fun with various creature baits. Tubes have come and gone, and I now stock 3; brown-chartreuse, black-flake and blue-black. Small Berkeley Power Craws and a 5” no-name crawdad are the most realistic of the creatures in my box, both are brown-orange. Reaction Innovations baits have pushed their way to the top of this list with Smallie Beaver 3.50, Sweet Beaver 4.20 and Double Wide Beaver filling out this part of the box. Creative color names by RI, but they boil down to white, blue-black, red-brown and green. No, I do not have each color in each size. Maximum total creature baits is 10 bags.

I do have some new additions to the creature feature. Not quite worthy of the title confidence bait, but they are making strides. These are Zoom Horny Toad, Strike King’s Rage Toad and BPS’s Wreak-N-Bug. What were my colors choices? Simple: green pumpkin, green pumpkin/white and Okeechobee which is a blue-black flake. If your partner is getting strikes with a surface frog and missing the hook set, follow him with one of these slow sinking frogs.

Some may be screaming, “What about swimbaits? Where are the swimbaits?” Actually, I have been using Sliders, straight worms, grubs and soft jerk baits on jigs and fished with a horizontal presentation for a long time. Way before the term swimbait came around. I also do not require specific worms for “finesse” fishing or drop shot worms. Part of this system is figuring out how to rig baits in more than one method.

Chuck wanted me to mention my rods and reel selection, because he thought it was near perfect for the typical tournament non-boater. I take 4 fishing rods on a trip. When I am heading to a highland reservoir it is 2 spinning and 2 bait-casters. When I head for the Delta, I swap my ultralight spinning rod for a heavier pitching rod or flipping stick. Each of the bait-casting rods is fitted with the same reel. It cuts down on backlashes. My retrieve speed is based on my rhythm, not trying to figure out what gear ratio I just picked up. All replacement parts are the same. I can even carry a set of spare drag washers in my bag, and they fit all my bait-casting reels. When purchasing these rods and reels, do not trade quality for quantity. They will last longer. My jig/worm rod is a Fenwick Graphite that was a Christmas gift in 1982. It is still slammin’ hooks.

The night before a trip, I check weather, fishing reports, and I make some guesses. Then my rods are pre-rigged for the trip. Typically the ultralight (6lb test) has a slider or a Little Bit rigged. A 6’-6” Medium action spinning rod (8lb test) is rigged with a Skitter Pop for the morning, and will switch to a Shad Rap or a light worm later in the day. An old 5’-6” bait-caster (12lb test) is rigged with either a jig-grub, a Texas rigged worm or a Sweet Beaver. A 7’-0” bait-caster (12lb test) is waiting with a Bagley’s DB-3 in brown-chartreuse crawdad. The flipping stick (80# braid) is typically outfitted with a scum frog, a frog creature or a jig-grub.

I am working on fitting my entire lure inventory into two tackle bags with a total of 9 Plano 3700 boxes. If you are tournament fishing check to see if you can carry two bags. For me, often the location of the trip and the time of the year will prune down the selection. Then I head to the lake with one tackle bag, making the decision making process even easier, and increasing the amount of quality fishing time.

Because it is near impossible to catch fish without bait in the water.

I too minimized my lure arsenal to four. My casting arm was beginning to look like a fiddler crab claw, so gone are spinners, lipped surface lures, spoons, bucktails and jointed swimmers. My casting arm just may shrink a bit now :)

You cannot catch fish unless your lure is in the water.

I have simplified, too. I primarily fish jigs and plastic for almost everything. Or fly fish. Every once in awhile, I'll stray, and do something different, especially if a partner is slaying on it. I'm not dumb or stubborn. If they are hitting big spoons, hey, can I borrow one?

But typically, I catch as many or more than everyone else... because I keep a hook in the water.

I have been appreciating all of the posts so far on this topic.
Wanted to share the fishing gear I bring on day fishing trips and shore fishing for bass.

NRS Chinook PFD
A bit warm to wear when it’s hot out and conversely, nice when it’s cooler outside. I like the flotation pad on the back clears the back of my seat on either the jon boat and kayak. Lots of extra pockets! Quality zipper. The river knife has come in handy many times. I trade off as needed with a self inflating PFD and sometimes will also wear a light summer fishing vest.

Piscifun Fanny Pack
I like to travel light and the ole fanny pack has come in handy. I’ve tried several fanny packs and this one has been the best. I can easily fit the artificial baits I plan to use that day and enough tackle and leader line. It helps me to focus on using what I have verses when I bring too much! I’ll also carry my lunch and at times, either my backpack or soft tackle bag. I especially like this rig for shore fishing and the wide web belt holds my accessories such as a folding hiking stick, knife, fish scale, etc. that I may need depending on where I’m fishing that day.

Pine Nine Fishing Rod Holster
Last year I added this fishing rod holster and it really comes in handy! It keeps the rod handle off the ground or water and allows me to rig hands free from the tackle in my fanny pack. I added a pair of fishing pliers, fishing line cutters, a towel and my fishing license. Works great with either bait-caster or spinning real .

Castek Fishing Rod Tote
This carrier helps me to easily carry up to four rods. Very light and the legs kick out when you set it down. I actually made a similar one out of a fishing pole duffel bag and adapting the kick stand from a golf bag. Still use it but this one is lighter to carry. They need to design one that can also be mounted on a boat to use a rod holder.

Look forward to reading more posts in this section!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpeg
    IMG_6185.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6186.jpeg
    IMG_6186.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Good stuff @crannman. For surf fishing I use an old Stanley block plane pouch to store my pliers. My son says it is just goofy enough that he wants one. Haha.

I have a Plano brand backpack I use for shore and surf fishing (mostly the latter). Mine doesn't have rod holders. I've been toying with adding a way to carry the surf rod(s) on the backpack. Anything to make it a little easier when I'm huffing and puffing over the dunes.

tempImageSorGiK.png

Wanted to share the fishing gear I bring on day fishing trips and shore fishing for bass.

NRS Chinook PFD
A bit warm to wear when it’s hot out and conversely, nice when it’s cooler outside. I like the flotation pad on the back clears the back of my seat on either the jon boat and kayak. Lots of extra pockets! Quality zipper. The river knife has come in handy many times. I trade off as needed with a self inflating PFD and sometimes will also wear a light summer fishing vest.

Piscifun Fanny Pack
I like to travel light and the ole fanny pack has come in handy. I’ve tried several fanny packs and this one has been the best. I can easily fit the artificial baits I plan to use that day and enough tackle and leader line. It helps me to focus on using what I have verses when I bring too much! I’ll also carry my lunch and at times, either my backpack or soft tackle bag. I especially like this rig for shore fishing and the wide web belt holds my accessories such as a folding hiking stick, knife, fish scale, etc. that I may need depending on where I’m fishing that day.

Pine Nine Fishing Rod Holster
Last year I added this fishing rod holster and it really comes in handy! It keeps the rod handle off the ground or water and allows me to rig hands free from the tackle in my fanny pack. I added a pair of fishing pliers, fishing line cutters, a towel and my fishing license. Works great with either bait-caster or spinning real .

Castek Fishing Rod Tote
This carrier helps me to easily carry up to four rods. Very light and the legs kick out when you set it down. I actually made a similar one out of a fishing pole duffel bag and adapting the kick stand from a golf bag. Still use it but this one is lighter to carry. They need to design one that can also be mounted on a boat to use a rod holder.

Look forward to reading more posts in this section!

Thank you!
My hand made rod carrier.

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 0
Like the rod holder.

Last edited:
Agree with Doc on many points:

Last edited:
You are a fisherman, not a collector of fashionista shoes.
Wish that weren't true most of the time! :LOL:

But knowing the water is key to using various lures, and the only way I can do that is with sonar and a boat. The more times a water is fished and searched, the more I know the structure of the bottom and seasonal fish locations as well as which lure types will do better.

There is a time for surface and near-surface lures - finding fish in 15' isn't one of them. There are multi-depth lures to be sure that allow very slow to faster retrieves, but, assuming fish are NOT feeding is a habit I started believing in after years of using faster search-lures.

Environmental and seasonal changes can tip activity-prone fish to a negative state the same as making fish moree prone to aggrssion and without warning at that! But the nice thing about lure choice(s) is knowing what to use for the most strikes when the time comes.

Though lure types differ, many overlap in their catchability given the same combination of depth and cover. Fish activity level is key regardless.

Last edited:
Color choice has been beaten to death. Fact is, the closer a lure is within the visual range of a fish, the more the true hue is seen. But even then does it really matter?
One definition of superstition is: a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck.

In the case of lures, we all hope that our choice will provoke a fish to strike regardless of the many factors mentioned in the original post. I want to believe it is the right choice and refuse to change - especially if fish are caught early on. Thankfully the original post by U doesn't suggest that fish recognize lures as one animal or another. Lure shape, size, weight and action, as well as color brightness and presentation are pretty much it when it comes to what lures to cast and where to cast them. Your guess is as good as mine.

When I fished in local club bass tournaments, my lure selection was simple: skirted jigs with pork frog trailers (years before plastic trailers), spinnerbaits and Texas-rigged Mr Twister 7" worms and bullet sinker. I did well without using crankbaits or surface lures that don't cover as much water. (Note: blade choices also made their way into my spinnerbait lurecraft.)

But here's an example of a superstition promoted on TV fishing shows: bass hold on longer when a pork frog is used because of the flesh (and who knows what else it supposedly represents). Also suggested were living-rubber solid skirt colors for different occasions used on jigs and spinnerbaits (silicone skirts of every color and pattern came out years later). Total nonsense! I can say that because I tied my bass jigs and spinnerbaits using different colors and skirt materials, catching fish on most and more so when different plastic trailers made the scene. Most combinations worked without a thought as to what fish thought they represented.

But I am superstitious when it comes to personal color choices for certain lures - because I choose to be. Colors can be subtle or bright. Color combinations may get it done better vs. black or white. All I know is that action (fish caught ) speaks louder than claims of why: it either catches fish or it doesn't and catches fish on many outings over many years. Case closed.

Of course, it's fun for many to carry 150 lures around hoping one of them gets bit more often than not usually by sheer luck, some superstition or other unproven reason, supposedly based on science and/or logic. Problem is, fish never read the book.....

Thanks U for posting your long, detailed, well-thought-out dissertation - one of a type I was made fun of on different forums where I wanted to share ideas regarding lure design and the (possible) reasons they worked so well - photos always included of lures stuck to fish lips.

Last edited:
I second that BIG TIME !!! with U started the topic with a well thought out post that focuses attention on what it take for a fish to strike. Many forums ridicule the length of my initial posts and/or replies that are actually meant to simplify lure choice.

The variety of lure designs/ types and colors that catch fish on any single outing can be amazing!
Key is believing what it is (possibly) about a successful lure that provokes usually inactive fish to strike and not because of an impulse to eat an unnatural-looking / unnaturely moving object - the manmade lure. vs live bait that fish do recognize or sense as an eay meal.

Lure designers over many decades figured out the difference decades ago with unique genius designs that caught small and large fish alike by expert and novice anglers (such as myself).

Thanks again U!

I went back and reread all the posts. Great thread.

The part of the OP's post that really brought a smile was his mention of no love for the safety-pin style spinner baits. I remember, probably over 40 years ago, everyone had to have a Beetle Spin lure in the box. I had some. Never caught one fish using them. Same for Jitterbugs and Hula Poppers. Caught some bluegill on small versions of the latter, which is a lot of fun, but otherwise the larger sizes just took up space. Another new must have killer lure was the Brawley Bass Bug ('60's maybe). It was a jig head with bushy rubber band skirt (sound familiar). I think it was a winner if one took the time to learn how to fish it. I was knocking them dead with 6" rubber worms on a bent hook (motor oil color for our lakes), so probably didn't have the patience to do them justice.

I have not fished for LMB in a long time. These days I'm either trolling for trout in lakes or surf fishing for surf perch. For the latter we use exclusively those scented Gulp Sand Worms. They are easy and catch fish. When trolling for trout I use spoons and in-line spinners almost exclusively and only those I know will work well at the speeds I troll. The OP mentioned Flatfish lures. I think they are productive lures but they would spin out at the speeds I troll.

I use in-line spinners, like skirted Mepp's Agila or Wedding Rings during the coldest months at shallow depths (4' - 6'). The OP was down on curl tail plastics. Curl tail grubs trolled at the surface during the coldest months work well for trout on our lakes. Guys doing this typically use planer boards to get the baits outside the boat's track. I use spoons during warmer months at deeper depths. I used to use attractors like Ford Fenders and in more recent years small dodgers. Haven't used them for a while. Don't know why.

I find the OP's comments about colors & water depth interesting. Last time out I was trolling 35' to 45' deep in 100' - 200' of water. There isn't going to be much light penetration at that depth. I do use darker colored spoons when deep, but have not tried the black ones I have in the box. I might give that a shot next time.

While I have boxes full of different colored spoons, I find myself using the same 2 or 3 colors almost every time because I've caught fish with them. I don't know if that is because they are better or because I use them more than others. I should probably mix it up a little more.

What isn't mentioned, unless I missed it, was use of scents. I use ProCure on my spoons. On the in-line spinners I'll sometimes use a trailer hook with a PowerBait trout worm. I think scents help to attract fish. Might also mask whatever I have on my hands, like sunscreen, that might repel fish, IDK.

I watch some underwater videos that show trout following a lure for a long time before they finally bite. I don't know if they are hitting because they are hungry, because they are territorial, by instinct, or because they are pissed off. Whatever the reason, I should probably experiment a little more with different colors.

I realize I've been mostly talking about an entirely different species and fishing technique than what the OP was addressing. It does seem there is some overlap in the concepts.

OK, I think I've exceeded my word count allowance for the day. :)

Last edited:
When it comes to spoons, I remember catching many bass on black Silver Minnow weedless spoons with black Uncle Josh pork frogs attached. Trailers tend to slow a lure's action but may at times improve upon a lure's speed fish find actionable.

BTW, U and I could open a store with all the sh** we've accumulated over many years sitting collecting dust!

Last edited:
BTW, U and I could open a store with all the sh** we've accumulated over many years sitting collecting dust!

Oh boy, that is the truth. I've been handing down oodles of old lures to one of my sons.

Earlier this year @Bass Tracker 93 posted some of his refurbished lures (see link below). I've been toying with the idea of learning to use an airbrush. I think it would be fun to bring some of the old minnow lures back to life. I just don't know if I have the skill needed to do it justice.

Winter projects? Almost spring

I took the lures that were left and really analyzed what they were, and how they fit together. I simplified my selections to define types of lures. Many specific lures fit these types, and the total of them allows me to fish the water column from top to bottom.
Getting back to U's original post, I think lure choice can be simplified to this: a lure's action profile.
It seems fish do what evolution has programmed them to do when it comes to strikes whether those involving live bait or those that are a response to specific lure actions. For example, quiver is one of the best and most trustworthy actions a lure can have - especially at low retrieve speeds with pauses. Many different hard and soft baits quiver. is an example of a lure action that makes bass angler favorites.

Here are some action-profiles many of us have caught fish on:
spinnerbaits: skirt pulsation, flutter and flair combined with a flashing strobe-like blade
skirted bass jigs: skirt pulsation, flutter and flair combined with trailer action
Zara Spook: violent back & forth waddle creating surface splashes
curl tail grub and plastic worm: tail flapping like a flag whipping in the wind
NOTE: not all curl tail shapes produce the same action - some are wide, some have a thin attachment
Kut Tail worm on a light jig: darting action when jerked and slow drops when paused
Senko wacky rigged: tail rotation and body roll as it sinks
deep dive crankbait: and the Flat Fish: violent back & forth waddle along with clanking hooks (and rattles if present)
Mepps spinner: strobe-lke flashes
Mann Shadow minnow: the closest in action to a minnow I've ever seen, gliding along with slight tail-fin action
Sassy Shad: and other swimbait boot-tails: thumping tail that imparts a body quiver
Jitterbug: large waddle with cupped blade splashing & swishing
Buzzbait: triangular in-line blade swish that imparts a pulsation to the skirt
Beetle Spin: small flashing blade that imparts grub body vibration along with the flapping curl tail
Johnson Weedless Spoon: crazy wobble
Grub with curl tail removed: darting wobble when rigged on a 1/32 oz jig head

My all-time favorite is one I make myself without a mold: a flat thin-tail minnow shape that has a subtle tail flutter that drives fish nuts!:
spoonminnows_stripedandplain.jpgtexturedspoonminnow.jpg
Rigs are varied as are shapes:
qt minnows.jpg

I've noticed that many anglers who use lures equate them to prey animals. I guess we all have a narrative as to why specific lures catch fish and therefore predictive of what to use and when in the future. But fish tales and generalizations are not fact-based but rather rely on misinformation or the disinformation supported by the angler media that abounds from those selling lures to those trying to appear authoritative.

That the fish are hungry or that shad were the chosen forage or that a certain fly pattern is required, etc., etc., are titles given to the angler narrative but of little substance. Based on underwater observations, like what you can observe in real-time, confirms that a lure's action/ profile and presentation matter most after fish are caught on it.

I start my narrative with the simple fact that no lure resembles anything in nature and proceed from there.
The lure action category listed above gives me the freedom to try anything that strikes my fancy hoping it will also strike the fish's once fish are found. In fact, if I had to choose one lure, it would be the thin-tail minnow shape in only a few colors.

Last edited:

Latest posts