Switching Gears To Jet Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
Been drifting my close by rivers for 25+ years in a drift boat and jon. Started looking at jet jons this year. Our problem here is no access/poor public access with long floats (10+ miles) but easily fish-able drifting down stream. I don't like drift fishing any stretch of river over 6 miles, makes TOO LONG A DAY, and HATE fishing canoes and kayaks! Jet = no shuttle.

After some recon this summer, thinking a smaller jet outboard would be better on these waters because of poor water visibility, poor or no ramps/long stretches between, narrow shutes hard to read.

The drift boat is a Hyde 14ft metal lopro with UHMW bottom and pushed upstream with either a prop or electric tolling motor...VERY SLOW!

Was about to pull the trigger on a 1756 but the visibility and funky rock outcroppings, that may be too wide a boat? And, a 14 or 15 footer can be propelled with the 30hp jet. Anybody suggest what they make do with? Maybe a 42" or 48"?

I have a 14 foot jon with a 40/30 jet. It's 40" wide across the bottom. 57" across the gunwales. Mine's a tiller but I'd prefer a console for rockier rivers. Easier to see ahead when you are standing. I would take a 60/40 any day of the week as my boat is fine for one, gutless with two.

I have a 1554 excel hull with a two storke evinrude 60/40. As long as I have a bank that isn't impossible to back down I can launch it. It can run real skinny big enough for two to fish easily three is doable, but if I fished three regularly I'd go larger. Definitely go at least 60/40 if you plan on having more than one person and some gear at all. If I were to get to change boats I'd probably go 1854 size with my same motor, wouldn't really be any slower, but would have more room, and be able to plane out a heavier load easier. Lot of people always think the 16ft-17ft boat will be a lot faster than the same width 18ft, but usually the 18ft isn't that much slower, but usually planes out quicker, and drafts less when drifting. Go for a boat with at least 1/8"(.125") bottom if decent rock collisions could happen. I'm not a huge fan of tunnels I've run some extremely shallow water with my flat bottom, if you have lots of rock shelves to go over I could see the advantage of a tunnel, but tunnels need more power to push them well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/East+Bend,+NC+27018/@36.2588144,-80.5009372,307m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8853cb248e72002d:0x4df7d4bb7ca80c3f!8m2!3d36.2165279!4d-80.512558

20 miles of this rock garden...prone to be dirty water. I've seen a jet on the lower end, don't know how far he could motor up from the public "ramp."

Saying goes, if a cow pees upstream , it gets muddy. Winter months can be exceptionally clear with nobody on the water as the GIS shows.

I'm going on recon to the local rivers in Hyde aluminum drift boat, hope to determine if they are jet friendly. Take a look at the link in my last post from the rock garden. The drift boat floats in 4" but still gets stuck on hiders, even with UHMW bottom. Here's a picture of my former tinboat, a Koffler Rocky Mtn Trout Boat (RMTB) with 10hp Yamaha it would set sale. Check the UHMW application.

https://kofflerboats.com/rmt-boats/rmt-accessories/rocky-mountain-trout-boat-bottom-coating-options/

It didn't slide around under power and carried three adults and gear with the small engine. And it did plane out and run about 20mph. That's one that should still be in the barn!

Hard to say 100% from just google maps if the real rocky areas are could be run by a jet boat or not. Sounds like you have a good plan though to try drifting/floating through them first to see if they have any spots that a boat could make it through or not. It looks like it could be tricky but maybe doable.

I've seen only one 12-14ft on the lower section, getting the people out of the "boat ramp" will be a problem.

After 4 or 5 visits to this section, it would be nearly impossible to launch anything much bigger than the Hyde: 1454 UHMW metal lowpro. Guessing a 15ft is all it will stand and pulling that much motor weight up and out will be iffy. Had to tie a line to the trailer and bow eye and pull it up in the gravel parking lot, then a hard winch lift onto the trailer.

Is the gravel too soft to back down with a 4x4. I just ask cause in Missouri on ozark streams I've launched off plenty of gravel bars that weren't really boat ramps just gravel bars you could access with a 4x4. So do people regularly block the ramp from being used? If so make them clear out if they are just fishing from it or sitting there with canoes. I've had times where ramps are choked out by people most the time most the people are considerate and will move to give me a couple minutes to pull out or put in. I make sure to have everything ready to go before launching so I'm blocking the ramp for a minimum amount of time. Pisses me off to no end when people spend 20 mins on the ramp unstrapping the boat, loading coolers, loading crap, loading rods have that **** ready before you block the ramp. Same goes for canoers/kayakers or people fishing don't block the ramp unless you need to. Most people I've found will be considerate if you talk to them some won't, and I've had some I've exchanged some choice words with. Esepceially arrogant kayakers that think they own the ramp when in fact they don't do **** to support public access's it's my boat registration fees, fishing license fees, and taxes on fishing gear that support the dnr public ramps. At least in indiana if on rivers kayaks/canoes that aren't motorized don't have to have any kind of registration, on lakes there is a DNR launch sticker they have to have, but it's not required on rivers for whatever reason. If it's a public ramp no one else have anymore of a right to the ramp than you.

Blocking and trashing ramps, shouldn't happen. Our boats are always rigged and loaded, then pulled quickly as possible out of the way. Also find kayakers, and their river running businesses, to be oblivious of ramp rules. Maybe everyone would clear the area if the trailer was coming down the ramp. Maybe the state wildlife commission could put up some signs in a couple languages for those new to the area?

The upper "ramp" is 48" boulders thrown down a 6 foot mud bank. Back as far as possible, push the boat off the trailer.

Here's my dream boat, have owned rowed/motored two Kofflers.
https://kofflerboats.com/builds/jet-builds/jet-drifter-tiller/14-x-54-jet-drifter-tiller-model-2/

Check out their UHMW bottoms.

I run a 1750 boat with a 40/30 mercury jet. 29 mph with just me in it. 24-27 with a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk