Outboard electric start wire

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extreme

Reaction score
I bought a new 2019 Yamaha 20 with electric start.
I would love to place my battery in the front of boat but the wire supplied with motor isn't long enough to accommodate this.
My question is what guage wire is required to add to existing wire to extend it?
The wire that is currently installed is about 5 feet. I need to extend it about another 5 feet.
I do not want to void any warranty

I would imagine there is some sort of inline connector you could use so you are not cutting on the factory starter lines. Actually some sort of large dual busbar may work for that purpose and also allow you electrical connections at the back of the boat for accessories. The thing I don't know is if those busbars amp ratings go high enough to support cranking amps or if the factory cables are heavy enough gauge for that length of run. If I were you I'd contact the dealer and see what they say about extending the cables. I don't see it being an issue but half the time they don't know the answer themselves so they err on the side of caution. If they say no, then talk to some one at Blue Seas Systems. Odds are they have a product that can help you out and someone who can discuss it with you.

I would probably use a distribution block designed for car audio, or a bus bar, as mentioned. Allows you to easily add other accessories as well.

You'd want to go a little bigger than the factory wire size because of the added length. 4 AWG is probably a safe bet.

With that long of a run, it would be wise to add a large inline fuse close to the battery, a circuit breaker would work too. Also allows you to cut power easily during storage.

Latest posts