Finally got out again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I know the situation is different across the country but the lakes I routinely go to have been closed as part of the stay home orders. They are still closed for camping but open for day use fishing and boating. After 10 or 11 weeks I was finally able to get out yesterday. I didn't really care if I caught anything, but managed two rainbows in the boat including the pictured 5 pounder. 100+ deg temp made me leave the lake at about 10 am. But oh boy, it was great to get out in the boat again if even for a few hours.

IMG_1540 copy.jpg

Nice catch Ldubs. what lake did you end up at?

I spoke to EBMUD and San Pablo should be opening in next couple of weeks. no word on Del Valle, starting to worry it might stay closed.

I have not been able to get out since all this started since the lakes are all closed.

I went to Camanche. I read that Pardee and Berryessa are also open. Sadly the Capell ramp at Berryessa is no longer a freebie. I think it is $10 now to launch. That coupled with a $15 toll for me to get over the Benecia bridge kinda sucks. Well, I guess no one said boating was a cheap sport. Haha.

I bought an annual pass for Camanche in January because that is the only way to get a senior discount. Lady in the kiosk says they might extend it a couple of months due to the shut down and I should keep asking. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but at this point I'm just happy they are open again.

The vendor that handles Del Valle (Rocky Man Recreation) says it will open, subject to rules & reg's, on June 16. I don't know what rules/reg's they are talking about but should be some fat large mouths there waiting for you!

Thats good news about del valle but someone from EB parks said the ramp will be last to open. no clue why.

I was at Camanche on a Wednesday. Early in the morning the ramp is pretty wide open. When I left there were quite a few folks putting in. Mainly water sports types as opposed to fishing rigs. Not really a line waiting to launch, but more than is really typical for mid week. Who knows, folks might be doing some vacay catch-up or taking advantage of stay-home orders to get on the water. But the lake itself wasn't crowded at all. It might get so later in the day but I'm usually gone by noon.

Pardee is about another 15 minutes past Camanche. It doesn't allow any human contact with the water, meaning no water sports/jet skis. So, the only boats are "fisher-people". I've never seen it anything like crowded during the week. If you haven't been there, it is very pretty lake.

Too bad about Del Valle. You would think people in boats would present the least amount of exposure from a social distancing standpoint.

And now, we are hearing there are planned protests in our little town. So, instead of going out tomorrow I'm hanging around just to make sure there isn't any nonsense in the neighborhood. In reality, not sure what I can do other than stay inside with Mrs Ldubs.

thanks for the info Ldubs. Im sick of waiting on Del valle and lame East Bay Parks dept, heading up to Camanche next Monday. i have not fished camanche in 20 years. looking forward to trolling at a new lake.

Good Luck. Surface temp was 76.5 to 77 deg's. I caught both rainbows at 35' on the down riggers. I was in deep water over what I guess is the old creek bed. It isn't unusual for me to pick up crappie or LMB while trolling for trout, but that didn't happen last time out. The bass boat guys looked like they were jigging or tossing stuff towards the banks.

LDUBS said:
Good Luck. Surface temp was 76.5 to 77 deg's. I caught both rainbows at 35' on the down riggers. I was in deep water over what I guess is the old creek bed. It isn't unusual for me to pick up crappie or LMB while trolling for trout, but that didn't happen last time out. The bass boat guys looked like they were jigging or tossing stuff towards the banks.

Im gojng Monday for sure, trying to decide between Pardee and Camanche. i have 2 downriggers so depth wont be an issue. i think Pardee may have Kokes too which re fun to fish for. Camanche is a little closer though.

Which side of Camamche did you launch from?

jeff925 said:
LDUBS said:

Im gojng Monday for sure, trying to decide between Pardee and Camanche. i have 2 downriggers so depth wont be an issue. i think Pardee may have Kokes too which re fun to fish for. Camanche is a little closer though.

Which side of Camamche did you launch from?

I launched from the North side. For no particular reason I always use that ramp. I've never been to the south ramp.

Thanks. I got three more rainbows this morning at the same place. Lost a fourth at the net. Just shook the hook and swam away. Also picked up a large mouth trolling 30' deep in middle of the lake.

Latest posts