Changing rear transducer mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I’m thinking about upgrading my transom transducer from Garmin to Humminbird HELIX 5. In a perfect world, the transducer bracket (?) would be interchangeable, company to company BUT ...
So, I was thinking about filling the mount screw holes then gluing a piece of plastic to the transom and attaching the new bracket to the new plastic mount. I don’t believe that’s reinventing the wheel but I can’t find the previous posts describing the method to do that.

Attachments

• B21689C8-0853-4243-8501-5C125C76295A.jpeg
    B21689C8-0853-4243-8501-5C125C76295A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 505
  • 34E65B5B-7ADC-45B7-8C6B-B69A645B4F6A.jpeg
    34E65B5B-7ADC-45B7-8C6B-B69A645B4F6A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 505
the top picture isn’t showing the right way here but it was in preview. Can anyone tell me to correct it? Thanks

I doubt that the Garmin and bird mounts are identical. I know Lowrance and bird are not so I would assume not. Starboard on the transom for mounting transducers is the way to go. IMHO I will never mount another transducer directly to transom again.
A word to the wise follow the directions to the tee if you use a transom saver block.i know some people have a problem making the stick but it’s been a couple of years and no problems. I have two on my grizzly with the large si ducer on both ( newest Humminbird ducer) it’s like 9 inches long no problems

Why not just make an adapter that uses the mounting holes from the original transducer to mount your "new" adapter plate and then drill and tap it for the new transducer?

FWIW on one of my older boats, I put a piece of starboard (HDPE super plastic) on the transom, 2" tall by 5" wide, pushed or imbedded into a sheet of rubber roofing flashing. There are only 2 bolts holding it to the transom, from the outside to the insides, SS bolts all gooped with 3M-type sealant, with nylon washers up against the tin on the inside.

Now 10-years later, I buy that boat back from the kid I had sold it to ... and that mount is still integral and watertight!

DaleH said:
FWIW on one of my older boats, I put a piece of starboard (HDPE super plastic) on the transom, 2" tall by 5" wide, pushed or imbedded into a sheet of rubber roofing flashing. There are only 2 bolts holding it to the transom, from the outside to the insides, SS bolts all gooped with 3M-type sealant, with nylon washers up against the tin on the inside.

Now 10-years later, I buy that boat back from the kid I had sold it to ... and that mount is still integral and watertight!

I think that’s the stuff I was looking for, I think they use it for cutting boards. If correct, that may be my Step 1.

the hammer said:
I think that’s the stuff I was looking for, I think they use it for cutting boards. If correct, that may be my Step 1.
Yes, just make sure it is thick enough. Or, I may have 1/2" thick or better scrap pieces lying around.

You can buy the one I put on my boat from the evil empire (bass pro) for about $20. Works awesome.

20180620_180555-M.jpg

I made my transducer mount from a piece of starboard. The transducer itself I mounted with all stainless nylock nuts which I recessed on the side facing the boat so the screws did not touch the transom. If I change transducers no problem, pull the starboard, mark and drill the new hole pattern.

transducer-mount.jpg

I got around to checking the rear transducer and it actually looks like a Humminbird transducer would fit into a Garmin mount BUT it also looks like I could glue or screw the Humminbird transducer mount onto the Garmin mount. That being said, would you fine-tune the Humminbird transucer onto the mount OR glue/screw one transducer onto the other?

the hammer said:
I got around to checking the rear transducer and it actually looks like a Humminbird transducer would fit into a Garmin mount BUT it also looks like I could glue or screw the Humminbird transducer mount onto the Garmin mount. That being said, would you fine-tune the Humminbird transucer onto the mount OR glue/screw one transducer onto the other?

I did that with the ducer on my Helix 5, bought it used and the mount was broken. I had an extra Garmin mount laying around (that transducer was mounted on a trolling motor, no mount needed).

I does fit, but the Humminbird transducer is slightly narrower. You really have to crank down the bolt and deform the plastic to keep the transducer from tipping up at speed.

I'm going through this now. I bought a 1" thick HDPP cutting board from Amazon for $24.25 delivered. Cuts fine with a sabre saw at low speed. Will probably wind up drilling 2-more mounting holes in the transom to mount it, but they will be the last. I always have problems mounting ducers. Too Low, too high, kicking up rooster tails, can't monitor speed at speed, etc.

Latest posts