Oops, think I shorted my nav lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
So my rear anchor light wasn't working. I realized one of the wires in the based was not making a good contact and had it working but figured I'd just replace the base anyway.

I replaced the base, not realizing til after I was done, that I had left the switch on for the nav lights so the power was on. When I went to test the new base, I noticed it was switched on but the light in the switch was no longer illuminated. Assuming the light isn't on since it's not getting power from being shorted.

If I'm looking at this right, I probably popped one of these fuses under the dash.

Any easy way to figure out which fuse would go to it? This sound like the correct diagnosis overall? I'm an electrical amateur.

20200802_153130.jpg20200802_153139.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Look closely/closer or remove & hold up to the light. You should see a continuous ‘silver line/thread’ or ‘zigzagged line’ (see one 2nd from the bottom on Right) from one silver cap of the fuse to the other silver/chrome cap inside.

From your picture, I really can’t see one on the 2nd down from the top on the Left, but it just could be the picture.

DaleH said:
Look closely/closer or remove & hold up to the light. You should see a continuous ‘silver line/thread’ or ‘zigzagged line’ (see one 2nd from the bottom on Right) from one silver cap of the fuse to the other silver/chrome cap inside.

From your picture, I really can’t see one on the 2nd down from the top on the Left, but it just could be the picture.

Well, they were too small to eyeball so I did the smart thing and broke out my multimeter and tested them. Found the broken one!

Now I just need to figure out what fuse I need to get to replace it. Just says 250V on the top and BUSS AGC 5 on the bottom. Not sure what that means other than 250 Volts. Maybe its a 5 amp fuse? Looks like the ones I'm seeing at auto parts stores are 32V though... hmm.

Looks like Home Depot has 5amp 250v fuses, looks like I'll be stopping there later!

Any auto parts store would have them. Get some dielectric grease while at it and lube them all up (ends only, not the glass!) to avoid or prevent corrosion.

We're back in business! Thanks for the assistance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts