Trolling Motor Mishap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJFyieuyma55o5iA4x2Cqmg and
So it seems that every time I go out on my boat something happens but I also learn each time. This last time I was on the river and got caught up in a freshly downed tree because I wasnt paying attention and broke my new rod and knocked one of my trolling motors off the back of my boat into the river which I know I had screwed down pretty good. I retrieved the motor but was wondering if there is something that can be purchased like a motor tether. I have googled and cannot find anything or maybe I am not calling it the correct name. If not I was thinking about making something out of like the cable that is used for car hood pins on muscle cars and bolting it to the boat. The motor slid sideways off the back board when it came off. I was also thinking of cutting out the area of the backboard so the screw part sets in the back board like an indentation. Thoughts or am I just being to paranoid. I know paying attention was the biggest problem in this situation. Thanks

If your motor can slide off then it likely isn't attached properly. Both my boats the trolling motor would break before coming off the boat. I know it might not sound ideal but that's the way they are supposed to be mounted.

I have a small 5hp kicker that is mounted next to my main motor with just the screw clamps, no bolts. I don't want it to vibrate loose so I made my own tether with a short piece of rope.

https://nationalsupplydirect.com/sea-dog-outboard-motor-safety-cable.html?ff=1&fp=25643&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzPSXioGr7AIVyJ-zCh3x_A9BEAQYAiABEgKuUPD_BwE

Garelick also has a safety cable. Add a lock.

Or use an old bike cable with a padlock.

My one transom gusset had a hole that accommodated an eyebolt.

A short length of swing set chain and a snap hook.

My little tohatsu had a convenient hole for the snap hook.

My Pappy always secured his outboards, the old Elgin I have in the shed has a hole drilled in the tab you use to tighten the screw against the transom.

He built a small runabout from plans rated to 15hp and found it would not steer so he added a set of 1" strips to the rear bottom.

Then he griped when my uncle flipped it and the had to drive for the75hp Merc...the uncle that raced stock cars just couldn't let well enough aone.

I think you are complicating the tether, a piece of 1/4 nylon rope or para cord is all it takes. I fish on an electric only lake and have 3 trolling motors on my boat all have a cord in the event of the clamps failing.

Latest posts