Help identifying this item

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hofty

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I bought this trailer recently. Very good deal IMO. The question I have is "what is this used for"?

Likely its a tilt or a extension but just want to make sure I know of its use before making any errors when I strip and paint frame.

See pictures

Attachments

• T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
  • T3annotated.jpg
    T3annotated.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 278
Yes indeed, that is the 'lock' assembly for the tilt mechanism.

Just one CAUTION - allow for adequate 'slack' in the trailer light wiring if you intend to use this feature. Ask me how I know ... :?: ?

Pull out on the handle which should pull the spring loaded pin out of the bracket, then the trailer should tilt. I have a tilt trailer, slightly different mechanism but still basically the same as yours.

It is the tilt mechanism. Wow. That is quite awesome. Not that I might use it but if it ever was needed could tilt the boat for a slope or embankment down to the water.

Attachments

• T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
The slot on the catch is for a section of chain. It's to limit how far the trailer tilts.

This is great. Thank you for answering the question on this trivial item folks.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The slot on the catch is for a section of chain. It's to limit how far the trailer tilts.
Of which he clearly meant to add ... "To prevent newbies like Dale from ripping out their new trailer wiring ... you know, the new run with NO slack to allow proper tilting!"

Hey, I admit ... sometimes that's how one learns :wink: .

There is supposed to be a short length of safety chain that goes into this notch. This is to prevent the trailer from tilting if the latch accidentally releases while going down the highway.,

safety_chain_latch.jpg

Latest posts