Jet Jon questions?

Sallgood1313

Jet Jon questions?

Post by Sallgood1313 »

Looking for advise on building my first Jet Jon. My plan is to use 17’ bass tracker riveted hull. Is this ok? If so what size motor should I be looking for. I plan to use it on the river with one other person aboard. Not really wanting to go fast, just stay on plane. After researching a little, I plan on welding the aluminum intake to the boat. I don’t like the idea of the fiberglass/aluminum bond. Thoughts? What are the main concerns I should worry about? Thanks in advance .

CedarRiverScooter

Jet Jon questions?

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

A 17 footer would be good, that is what I would use if I started over. If you have the money, a 4 stroke engine will be much quieter & use less fuel. Yamaha is my choice. Stay away from Honda, they are time bombs. Seadoo OK.

A big factor is getting thrust angle right, so the boat planes correctly. If you get power trim, that mitigates the issue by design.

Sallgood1313

Jet Jon questions?

Post by Sallgood1313 »

Would a gp1200r be to big? Do you recommend molding the bottom of the ski to boat? Or remove pump and motor from fiberglass and build mounts for them.

CedarRiverScooter

Jet Jon questions?

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

1200cc engine will be good. You don't want to underpower. Don't buy a basket case ski, it can cost a small fortune to do a full rebuild.

If you have the skills to do precision fabrication, then the all metal approach will be the best, but it will be a lot more work,

Please post photos!

Sallgood1313

Jet Jon questions?

Post by Sallgood1313 »

Ok. That’s what I thought. I’d rather do it right the first time. Looking for ski now. I’ll post pics once we get underway. Thanks for your help!