Trolling motor 50 amp breaker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwork

Reaction score
I had trouble with the rear trolling motor and used the front to get the boat back t ok the dock. Is it unusual for the connection to get pretty warm? I've got the trolling wire going to the 50 amp breaker wire 6 guage back t ok the shut off and 4 gauge to the battery

Connections are prime spot for heat build up. Especially if there is any corrosion. I would check and clean every connection from the trolling motor to the battery. Even slightly loose connections can start to arc leading to more heat buildup.

Some questions
1) what size and voltage is Trolling motor? ie 12, 24 or 36 volt? lbs of thrust 30, 55, 80, 112?
2) How high was trolling motor set to run. just putting along or as fast as would go? Fast means more current draw, and more heat.
3) How long of a run from trolling motor to switch 6 ga wire, switch to battery 4 ga?
4) How long is orginal wire from trolling motor to 6ga wire and how are they connected?

For my 12V 55 thrust motor it came with about 6 ft of 10 ga wire. I melted one trolling motor plug and connector by running at top speed for about 20 minutes to get to where I wanted to fish(electric only lake). When I rewired this winter I cut the 10 ga down to 18 inches and used a high quality connector to connect to 4 ga running to the breaker and battery.

This is what I used, but I had access to tools to be able to crimp them correctly. They are rated for 120amps max and can be disconnected while carrying up to 50 amps. I only unplug when trolling motor is turned off so there is zero of very little current in the circuit.
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb50-50amp

There are other types and styles out there that you shouldn't need special tool to make use of.

Wire chart for suggested amps and gauge based on length of circuit
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity

If all wire is sized correctly and no other issues the wire will probably still get warm with max load on it, but you should be able to hold the wire for a little bit at least before it's uncomfortable to grasp.

If you have a multimeter, you can do a quick check and see how much resistance is from one end of the wire (connection closest to TM as possible) to the other end (the post at battery where wire connects). Set multimeter to Ohms and connect to both sides (test each wire separately, hot wire at TM to hot wire at battery and ground wire at TM to ground at battery), it should ideally read under 1.0 Ohm, but with a perfect connection you should see somewhere around 0.1 to 0.3 That will give you an idea if you have bad connection somewhere or corrosion, IF you need to troubleshoot further.

I think I'm okay. The nut was loose which could cause a lot of build up. The connections are new. I need to mount the 50 amp breaker as friction or movement could easily loose an hand tight connection.

I have the trolling motor leads to the 6 guage and 14' back it ties into the 4 guage. It's a 12volt system. I ran the trolling motor on high for 30 minutes. To get it back to the boat ramp. I usually run it on/off on #1 but had it on #5 constunuous back to the ramp.

Latest posts