cuddy cabin - weather break & season stretcher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom q vaxy

Reaction score
would a low height (36" +/- over the gunnels) cuddy cabin render a flat bottom boat incontrollable?

if not, anyone have a link to some ideas? thanks

Uncontrollable to what? Weather, seas, stability ... ?

I do find my tins to be HARD to control in heavy winds, say small craft warning or above, as those winds just grab the bow and turn it against the wind.

A friend has a Duranautic DN14 V-hull with a tiller controlled 'Rude 30hp on it, along with a folding bimini top. He told me on SUN (as he had it up, as the sun was so brutal) that he needs to move the 'trim pin' in 1 position while that top is up, as it creates sooooooo much life, that is raises the bow and changes to the boat's trim.

Remember, fore to aft trim on a small boat is critital!

I have thought of the same thing & same concern.

I was thinking of making a tight fitting sunbrella cover, using bows up front, & it would end at driver station. Not sure what to do about windshield, maybe one off a motorcycle fairing.

I was also wondering if it would be unsafe.

Maybe it is just better to boat in the summertime.

in the northeast the season is so short. less crowded on the shoulders of the seasons, too.

What size boat?
There is also a doghouse style cuddy for the back aft of boats.
It could add a bunch of weight though, either style...maybe some sort of canvas wind break or windsheild.

I've seen cabins on the bigger flat bottoms. Sea Ark offers one for their commercial boats.

Zum said:
What size boat?
There is also a doghouse style cuddy for the back aft of boats.
It could add a bunch of weight though, either style...maybe some sort of canvas wind break or windsheild.

tiny: 14' - maybe stretching to 16' but unlikely. i thought 3mm okume sides w/ maybe 9mm roof. 1/8" lexan removeable windows. minimum 8' long and gunnel to gunnel wide. 2' front deck and 4' open cockpit rear.

"overnight pocket cruiser"

the SeaArk boats in the 20' range are beautiful, but out of reach financially.

Kind of thinking out of the box here, what if you made the sides out of canvas like a pop up camper? Could drop it down while underway, pop it up for overnights.

I do think the average 14' tinny is going to be too small for that kind of addition, just too much added weight. A bigger walk-thru or 16-17 foot fishing boat that needs the interior redone would be a much better candidate.

Not sure what your looking to do, doubt sleep in it, so not real sure why a cuddy other than wanting it....which is fine.
Some type of windsheild, will keep the wind off you when motoring. If its to cold when at rest, then think of going home, your probably not going to be enjoying yourself. Floater suits can keep you warm, real warm, plus they are a floatation device, not good to work in(to hot) but good for ducking and biking in the winter.

yes; a "camper-boat". flat deck across at seat level and a coffin on top with roof hatch (slider) and swing (bar room door style) doors facing aft. maybe an awning style front windshield.

not an ice-season boat. maybe Easter Sunday to Thanksgiving in the northeast USA. long enough before and after the crowds to have some alone time on the water. unlike other parts of the country, or others!, summers here offer wall to wall boats for your on-the-water time.

i'm looking for an edge!

plus i'm a gadgeteer and like to build stuff.

Just throwing this out there for consideration. Maybe you could locate a small duck blind and modify it to your requirements?

skimming through the unending sources of the internet, and gently coming to the conclusion if this was such a good idea why someone hasn't done it before, i came across this: https://duckworks.com/harmonica-plans/ the third one down w/ two portholes

it's pretty much what i'm looking for in a design, but i'm not so far gone i want to build a "wood part in the water half submerged" boat!

oh man; these things are all over the place: https://tinyhousetalk.com/micro-houseboat-you-can-build/#more-21529

this one's kind of snazzy, too: https://inhabitat.com/nomadic-water-bed-on-wheels-lets-you-camp-on-urban-rivers/water-bed-by-daniel-durnin-7/

You would enjoy the narrow boats the English use to travel around in their canals. Long and narrow with little diesels putt putting them along. There is a series on Netflix (I think) about people traveling around in them.

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 5.16.21 PM.png

2d87872839ecff540bbb4887480e6306.jpg

yes; i was thinking along those lines . . . .

Check out this video, it's actually pretty cool what this guy did and it wouldnt be too tough to extend it all the way to the back, and it could be completely removeable for summer. I have thought about this for my 18' but don't think i would get enough use out of it to make it pay. The section that you will be interested in starts around the 5 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTIRfMFkqt8&list=PLEeFiLimlZilq8unWcnz4coVXKdgugl8G&index=3

Latest posts