Power outages

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
DaleH
Donor

Power outages

Post by DaleH »

I got a quote for $12,000 for a Generac natural gas generator that would do practically the whole house plus the second panel and auto-switches installed.

They need to start up once a week and boy, they are still loud even from blocks away! Thing is … neighbor has one, the frame rotted out from non-use, says we haven’t had an outage lasting more than an hour since he installed it …

lckstckn2smknbrls

Power outages

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

I just bought a 9000/12000 watt generator from Menards. 4 120 volt gfci outlets, 1 30amp 240 volt and 1 50amp 240 volt outlet.
It should run the whole house. I will be setting it up to hook the 50amp into the panel with a disconnect so it won't back feed.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

lckstckn2smknbrls

Power outages

DaleH wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 09:15 I got a quote for $12,000 for a Generac natural gas generator that would do practically the whole house plus the second panel and auto-switches installed.

They need to start up once a week and boy, they are still loud even from blocks away! Thing is … neighbor has one, the frame rotted out from non-use, says we haven’t had an outage lasting more than an hour since he installed it …
I think my parents paid $5000 for theirs all hooked up. I built the pad it sits on and ran the gas piping. Had an electrician wire the transfer switch in to the panel.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Power outages

We bought the A-i Power SUA 12000E 9000/12000 watt generator at Menards for $799.99 with 11% rebate brings it down to $711.11.
We also considered Harbor Freights 7250/9000 watt generator for $789.99.
The A-i power comes with the battery for electric start, the wheels and a 2 year warranty all things you have to buy separately for the Harbor freight generator and it has a lower out put.
The A-i power is discontinued at some Menards and listed as seasonal at others. I will be driving 60 miles round trip to pick it up.
All of the reviews I have read are 4 or 5 stars except for a few that were damaged in shipping and then the generators still worked perfectly.

BAY BEAGLE

Power outages

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

After comming out of surgery with a double lung transplant in August 2021, I'm getting the farm where I don't have to struggle so hard. Whole house generator was out of my price range, plus permits, and propane scheduling, maitiance etc. I put my gas Honda 8500 watt on back up at the barn & purchased a Westinghouse DP (dual purpose)15000 watt, remote start. Runs on either propane or gas, with a flip of a switch. Up graded my electrical wiring and breakers to 50 amp, and have two 100 lb tanks at the ready, plus plenty of non ethanol fuel standing by. I can always rotate the fuel to the outboards, if I feel the need.
Last edited by BAY BEAGLE on 19 Oct 2021, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
- A FLATLANDER -

maintenanceguy
Site Sponsor

Power outages

Post by maintenanceguy »

Several years ago we had a derecho come through. I didn't even know what one was before we had one. We lost power for 7 days and roads were unpassable. Those who ventured out carried chainsaws and there were groups of strangers meeting at fallen trees and clearing the roads. We didn't have a generator.

It took us about a day to cut our way to a main road and we started looking for a place to buy a generator. We had to drive about 70 miles because everyone in the county was also out looking for generators. Everywhere we stopped, they were sold out. A couple of places told us there was some sort of storm "down south". Of course, we were driving north and the storm "down south" was us.

It was worth the drive. Saved the food in the fridge, we could run the well pump to get showers (even if they were cold), and we had a few lights we could use at night. Fortunately, I already had 6 gas cans - which we also took with us north and filled up before we headed back home.

The point? Get a generator and a stockpile of gas before you need one.
-Ryan

LDUBS

Power outages

Post by LDUBS »

Is it a big job to do the transfer switch for a generator? Is it best left to a qualified electrician?
Have Rod - Will Fish

lckstckn2smknbrls

Power outages

LDUBS wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 19:51 Is it a big job to do the transfer switch for a generator? Is it best left to a qualified electrician?
When my parents got a whole house generator I poured the pad it sits on and plumbed the gas line.
I have a lot of experience with electrical wiring, putting in the 20 and 30 amp circuits for my dads wood working shop.
When it came to the transfer switch I left that to a professional.
With the internet and youtube it might not be that bad now days.

LDUBS

Power outages

Post by LDUBS »

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 21:26
LDUBS wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 19:51 Is it a big job to do the transfer switch for a generator? Is it best left to a qualified electrician?
When my parents got a whole house generator I poured the pad it sits on and plumbed the gas line.
I have a lot of experience with electrical wiring, putting in the 20 and 30 amp circuits for my dads wood working shop.
When it came to the transfer switch I left that to a professional.
With the internet and youtube it might not be that bad now days.

Thanks. I did look online. I know electrical wiring basics but I think this would be one thing that I would be better leaving to the pro's.
Have Rod - Will Fish