BRP CONTROL

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
This is not mine but one I saw for sale but identical.Anyone have one like this?Does the lanyard clip attatch on the ignition switch.I don’t have a key or lanyard clip. Did not know if you need the key to pullout on the ignition to put clip on or am I missing something else?I see where some of these had the kill button on the side..

Attachments

• 893A2C46-F754-483B-A3D7-7268488AAA44.jpeg
    893A2C46-F754-483B-A3D7-7268488AAA44.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 711F2BA7-8916-4444-A3FC-4AB91F964F93.jpeg
    711F2BA7-8916-4444-A3FC-4AB91F964F93.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 541
The key goes in the inside. There is a collar on the ‘post’ or center shaft that the key goes in, that has a step in it, the clip goes around the step. There is a circular ring that gets pushed in when you go to put the clip into that step.

When that ring comes out, it completes the circuit & grounds out the motor so it shuts off.

DaleH said:
The key goes in the inside. There is a collar on the ‘post’ or center shaft that the key goes in, that has a step in it, the clip goes around the step. There is a circular ring that gets pushed in when you go to put the clip into that step.

When that ring comes out, it completes the circuit & grounds out the motor so it shuts off.

Are all the keys off this vint age keyed the same?Pretty simple looking key.Here is the close up of mine .So the clip goes on the key and the grooved part in picture.Just found a good photo of a new switch with clip.Thanks.Probably easier to buy a new switch with everything provided..

Attachments

• 5788AE80-6347-4D91-B71F-FD4AD1D95B87.jpeg
    5788AE80-6347-4D91-B71F-FD4AD1D95B87.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 529
I used to be a locksmith and we had a huge keyring with anywhere from 12 to 50 keys on it, depending on the OB engine make. I forget, but Pappy should now, just how many different key numbers there were for OMC engines.

For that control box, I recall the ignition kill circuit works like this, see attached pictorial of the fob that clips onto it. Ifyou get that controland find a key, but have no fob, take anything thin - wood or plastic - with round hole that the key fits through and hold that collar down. The OB shouldcrank and start.

Note they crank, but not start/run, if the collar is released or in the UP position.

Ig-Kill.jpg

I figured I would add my current setup. I have a 1994 Mercury setup so it might be different, but that step actually pulls out the kill switch so it will crank and run. If you pull the lanyard off, it will push back in and kill the motor. I don't remember the setup on my 99 Johnson/Evinrude if it pulled out or pushed in. You can disconnect the kill wiring to get it to run, but that's not a good plan to run the motor on the water without a kill switch. If you are checked by water patrol, you should have pfd's, signaling device, working lights and a lanyard with a functioning kill switch.

DaleH said:
I used to be a locksmith and we had a huge keyring with anywhere from 12 to 50 keys on it, depending on the OB engine make. I forget, but Pappy should now, just how many different key numbers there were for OMC engines.

For that control box, I recall the ignition kill circuit works like this, see attached pictorial of the fob that clips onto it. Ifyou get that controland find a key, but have no fob, take anything thin - wood or plastic - with round hole that the key fits through and hold that collar down. The OB shouldcrank and start.

Note they crank, but not start/run, if the collar is released or in the UP position.

Ig-Kill.jpg
Are these keys pretty universal?Just wondering if I could source a used key and lanyard.

It looks like there are different keys so you would need to know which one your switch takes. There might be a number on the switch but you would need to open the control box to see. You could always buy a kit that has a new switch, keys and lanyard.

https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Lanyard-Compatible-Evinrude-40-200HP/dp/B08F75PXBG/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B08F75PXBG&psc=1

JL8Jeff said:
It looks like there are different keys so you would need to know which one your switch takes. There might be a number on the switch but you would need to open the control box to see. You could always buy a kit that has a new switch, keys and lanyard.

https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Lanyard-Compatible-Evinrude-40-200HP/dp/B08F75PXBG/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B08F75PXBG&psc=1

That is how it is for my Honda outboard. About 10 different keys. The key number is on the side of the ignition switch. Then instead of having to order a whole new ignition switch w/new keys, I would be able to just order the keys. I sure don't have any idea if this is the same for other outboards, but I was sure happy to know this for mine.

Latest posts