Suzuki EFI 25/30hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topdsm0138

Reaction score
Anyone using the new Suzuki EFI 25 or 30hp? I have a new 2021 Polarkraft Dakota 1670 and was considering that motor for my V-hull. What do you like or dislike about them if so. I will only have 2, maybe 3 people max in my boat. (Pic of my new boat I want to put said motor on)
4d0404c47e44575437886cfa8be70123.jpg

I have a 2020 DF20 on a alweld MV1548. The tiller angle is awkward to me. The transom on my boat has some rake as does yours by the picture. I posted a thread here and basically had 2 options, transom wedges (cheaper) which I may still do and or a jackplate (costly). I would strongly encourage you to test fit the motor before purchasing to see if the tiller angle is acceptable, as there is no adjustment to it other than trim pin position. I love my motor except for the tiller angle. Had I test fit before purchase, I may have loved another brand more.

neighbor's got one.

Yes the tiller angle is weird in two directions. It's just weird. The tiller is also short so if you add a CMC to correct the angle (plus the benefit of PT&T), now you have a motor that's too far back to be comfortable with, depending on the rear seating position of course. Some hulls the rear seat is further forward than others. War Eagle 1544 is one of them. My neighbor's motor is quiet and smooth for the most part. It feels sluggish to me, for a 25. Mine is much peppier (Yamaha) but has some shake at low idle--that gets better with hours of usage but it hasn't totally gone away. It's lighter too. And-best of all, the tiller on the Yamaha, is as close to perfect as you can get. They really thought it out. It's long enough to work for multiple applications, yet not too long. It's angled just right (height wise) and it is kind of angled toward the operator (left to right or port to starboard) which makes operation much more ergonomic and frankly comfortable. About 45 minutes is all I can do with mine, where my neighbor is done at maybe 10 minutes with his, that Suzuki it's just uncomfortable in its' position.

If it weren't for that, and it's heavier weight, and sluggish feeling-- I'd really like it. It's been a good motor with zero repairs needed since 2018 when he bought it (has about 50 hours on it now), but he's just not tickled with it.

I have 2017 suzuki 25. Overall I like it but Todd is right on the tiller handle, it's really short.
I have tried a few different props on this motor but wound up going back with suzuki oem prop.
It performed really well with a stainless prop on it but it chattered so bad at idle that is sounded like a tractor.
A good buddy of mine went with the new 25 yamaha and has had really good luck with it.
Our motors seem pretty equal on power with mine being a little smoother and quieter, but his much more comfortable to operate.
Honestly, if I was going to buy another new motor I think I would go Yamaha.

I wanted an Evenrude Etec, but there are no more left. (I loved my old 1996 Evinrude 9.9. Never gave me one issue..but it's too small for this boat). My only other options here (where I live in South Florida) is Mercury and Yamaha. Going to get hate on both my opinions/feelings here but 1) I'm not a Mercury/Tohatsu fanboy. The older Mercury's always gave us trouble, I got sick of fixing them. 2) Yamaha is a good motor, BUT it's too expensive for my tastes. I just can't pay double than what I paid for my boat and trailer, for that engine.

Now, I will look into one of those CMC tilt n trims, also maybe a tiller extension for the handle as well. But also, my rear bench is split, not solid.

I'm mainly looking for the reliability, operation and fuel consumption issues/concerns.
d7abf76cc160845cfd4ed19f27986f28.jpg

topdsm0138 said:
I wanted an Evenrude Etec, but there are no more left. (I loved my old 1996 Evinrude 9.9. Never gave me one issue..but it's too small for this boat). My only other options here (where I live in South Florida) is Mercury and Yamaha. Going to get hate on both my opinions/feelings here but 1) I'm not a Mercury/Tohatsu fanboy. The older Mercury's always gave us trouble, I got sick of fixing them. 2) Yamaha is a good motor, BUT it's too expensive for my tastes. I just can't pay double than what I paid for my boat and trailer, for that engine.

Now, I will look into one of those CMC tilt n trims, also maybe a tiller extension for the handle as well. But also, my rear bench is split, not solid.

I'm mainly looking for the reliability, operation and fuel consumption issues/concerns.
d7abf76cc160845cfd4ed19f27986f28.jpg
I have a 2018 Suzuki DF30A tiller and PT&T is standard. Manual and electric start. 3 cylinders and runs smooth and quiet, and easy on gas as any 4 stroke. 3 years old and no issues so far.
I see your transom takes a short shaft so that eliminates the 30. Its only available in a long shaft. But the 25 hp would be plenty of motor especially for your light hull. Take your time. Demand for motors is high now and you’ll likely have to wait. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Suzuki motor will serve you well with what you are wanting.
Actually, here where I'm from the Yamaha is few hundred cheaper.

hounddog said:
But not near as strong.

topdsm0138 said:
I wanted an Evenrude Etec, but there are no more left.

For good reason.

If you're looking around, make sure a dealer is closeby, or at least somewhat convenient. It sucks to have to drive halfway across the country for service should you need it. I buy my service parts at a dealer and do my own servicing, so having a dealer close is paramount for me. Yeah I can order it but that doesn't support local businesses.

hounddog said:
South Florida is a boating/beach state, so all motor brands are a little up in price. Lol. IE: I've seen them all cheaper in other states, but the shipping costs would put you right back where our motors are priced.

turbotodd said:
topdsm0138 said:
I wanted an Evenrude Etec, but there are no more left.

For good reason.

If you're looking around, make sure a dealer is closeby, or at least somewhat convenient. It sucks to have to drive halfway across the country for service should you need it. I buy my service parts at a dealer and do my own servicing, so having a dealer close is paramount for me. Yeah I can order it but that doesn't support local businesses.
Yeah, no thanks to BRP. Now another reason on the list for me to hate Sea•Doo. [emoji2959][emoji2959]

No shortage of any marine service dealer/center here, it's Florida. Like I mentioned, the majority of shops only carry the three brands and their parts. Just not a lot of "portables" in stock anymore. Everything is normally 150HP and up down here, mainly for saltwater. I don't saltwater fish, only freshwater like Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades.

The Dealer/Service center I am looking at includes a 5yr warranty with it (3yrs manufacturer, 2yrs Dealer extended).

I'll admit, I was looking at one of the new ultra-light 25 Yamahas, nice motor and not bad on price, they just out of stock everywhere.

Did you decide which motor to get? If not, you will be happy with the new Suzuki.
I just came back from a mini vacation and ran 3 tanks of gas through mine.
That is alot of boat riding! This thing performed flawlessly! The more I run it, the more I like it!

Ordered the DF25AS (short shaft) through a local dealer. With discount, it came to 3250.

Took the money I saved and ordered the DF30 ECU and the battery charge kit. So less than 4k total.

Going to try it out first before I dump any money on a tilt n trim.

You will really like it. When you get the DF30 ECU installed, give us a report on it.
Congrats on your new rig!

hounddog said:
You will really like it. When you get the DF30 ECU installed, give us a report on it.
Congrats on your new rig!
Thanks, will do. I read the 30 ECU has 1k higher redline than the 25's, and that they both have the same low end amd mid range. That 30 ECU only makes the extra 5hp at those higher RPMs, so better for cruising speed. We'll see.

If you do your own maintenance, you may want to consider a SDS kit. For about $70 you get the Suzuki Diagnostic Software, ODBM cables, and most manuals.

The kit allows you to download all the info stored in the ECU.

InSaneFisherMan said:
If you do your own maintenance, you may want to consider a SDS kit. For about $70 you get the Suzuki Diagnostic Software, ODBM cables, and most manuals.

Funny, I was just looking at that setup earlier. :LOL2:

topdsm0138 said:
InSaneFisherMan said:

Funny, I was just looking at that setup earlier. :LOL2:

Here is one of the pages from the download.

This one is with a 20PS ECU in a 9.9!

Attachments

• DF9.9 Run Data.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts