Evinrude 28spl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Krusty

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm heading out this afternoon to look at a 15' Duroboat with an Evinrude 28hp SPL from around 1988. I would much prefer a later model 4 stroke. The seller says it sat for about 6 years, but has been gone through to the tune of $1300 which is said to have covered a full service and inspection, including impeller, seals as needed and so on. I will want to see that paperwork, of course. I've been looking for one of these boats for a while, and this one seems to be in very good condition. He's asking $5800. If (when) this motor craps out, I'll be on the hook for a 3-5k repower, but I believe I've heard that these things just keep going.

They sure do ... I sold my Lund SV-1 with one about a dozen years ago if not more, OB same vintage, and the rig is still chugging along!

I see MORE issues in one season at my boat dock with new/newer Yamaha or Suzuki 4-stroke OBs to 15hp ... than I ever faced maintaining the 2 or 3 OMC 2-strokes that I've maintained for decades. The newer 4-strokes running badly, always needing a tune, need to be flushed out more than a few times per season or the head builds up with salt, gawd awful heavy ... and absolute dogs for performance. We have about 8 identical Carolina 12' Skiffs now and those with 2-strokes, even to lesser 10hp, are waaaaayy faster!

I like the 14L model, but I bet it is pricey! Their 2010 price for a 10' tender was $2,400 and just this May I was quoted $2,000 for a new DuraNautic 12' model. Ingenious keel/garboard extrusions though! Nice and tall gunnels too =D> .

DuroBoat14.jpg

I looked at the boat yesterday and would have bought it on the spot but he didn't have the paperwork for the motor repairs. Having been burned in the past, I convinced him to hold it for me until he got the invoice. The boat is great, with a factory floor and console, ready to fish without any fussing or rigging, just what I'm looking for. Everything I hear about the old the old Evinrudes is that they have been great motors. I'm hoping to get the deal done today and will post pics once it's in my driveway.

Latest posts