early 80s 35 evinrude hard starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

Reaction score
Question about a new to me early 80s Evinrude 35 - 2 cyl. It just will not start without 2/3 to full throttle and will not idle well at all.

It had not been running for a while so this is what I've done so far:
Cleaned carb (including ports under plugs), checked and cleaned the reeds, installed new head and exhaust gaskets, tested compression (cold 115&110), checked spark and installed new plugs, verified float bowl is full.

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks

Is it a choke or primer system? If it is choke make sure the butterfly is completely closed. If it is primer make sure it is working. Not idling well makes me think the carb either isn't adjusted correctly or you still don't have the low speed circuit clean.

Let me add to the good advice you just got above.
On a primer system very often the key switch has been changed for some reason and in doing so the purple lead and the purple/white (choke or primer lead) are switched inadvertently. This will cause the choke or primer solenoid to remain on 100% of the time the key switch is on. This will burn out either one of them. Easily checked with a test light or DVOM.
Secondly if it is a primer system the small brass tube that feeds the fuel behind the carburetor may be varnished shut. Easy enough to tell with a piece of the primer hose and just blow through it.
Third thing to check is the throttle blade opening. OMC engines are all designed to idle with the throttle blade completely shut. Check yours and adjust as necessary. This will affect the vacuum and therefore the ability to pull fuel at idle and starting.

nccatfisher said:
Is it a choke or primer system? If it is choke make sure the butterfly is completely closed. If it is primer make sure it is working. Not idling well makes me think the carb either isn't adjusted correctly or you still don't have the low speed circuit clean.

Manual choke is working. Unfortunately its pull start only.

Pappy said:
Let me add to the good advice you just got above.
On a primer system very often the key switch has been changed for some reason and in doing so the purple lead and the purple/white (choke or primer lead) are switched inadvertently. This will cause the choke or primer solenoid to remain on 100% of the time the key switch is on. This will burn out either one of them. Easily checked with a test light or DVOM.
Secondly if it is a primer system the small brass tube that feeds the fuel behind the carburetor may be varnished shut. Easy enough to tell with a piece of the primer hose and just blow through it.
Third thing to check is the throttle blade opening. OMC engines are all designed to idle with the throttle blade completely shut. Check yours and adjust as necessary. This will affect the vacuum and therefore the ability to pull fuel at idle and starting.

I will check item 3, thanks.

As has been said already......
Choke blade has to be completely shut. Not just close. Only way it will pull enough vacuum to get the fuel out of the high speed nozzle to prime the engine.
Always add enough information to your answers to where those who are reading will fully understand what you are doing along the way.