Console

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
JL8Jeff

Console

Post by JL8Jeff »

My wheel is about 28" high at the center and I think it's about 6-8" too low for me (I'm 5'6" tall) and it's at a more vertical angle. I could use the whole console to be 6-8" taller to get the wheel up, the controls up and the windshield/grabrail up higher. But I'm used to it so it's not worth spending money to make any changes. I barely run for 5-10 minutes to go upstream so I'm not at the console for very long.

Here's a picture of my console.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

jrl5678

Console

Post by jrl5678 »

maintenanceguy,
I oddly don't fish much. I like to drive the boat around but I am arguing with myself over loss of space in the boat and a console that holds the gas tank, battery, wheel, and "stuff." I did not see where you were from but also South TX most of the year is worth some sun shade. I also do nto want to make my boat more complicated which I believe is what you are also talking about.

jrl5678

Console

Post by jrl5678 »

My wheel is about 28" high at the center and I think it's about 6-8" too low for me (I'm 5'6" tall) and it's at a more vertical angle. I could use the whole console to be 6-8" taller to get the wheel up, the controls up and the windshield/grabrail up higher. But I'm used to it so it's not worth spending money to make any changes. I barely run for 5-10 minutes to go upstream so I'm not at the console for very long.

Thank you for the pic. I found a random line drawing of a CC that had some important dimensions on it. It had a slanted wheel but it was 39" above the floor I think 34 is a better # for me (that is my jeans inseam # I did not just make it up.) I want a place to mount a fish-finder/Chart Plotter, I was gifted an older one that works great. I want to have a grab rail and probably some type of T-Top, summers down here start in April and run through October. Mostly I like to drive the boat and explore. So I spend a bit of time under power sitting or standing.

Do you wish you had other engine gauges?

Other people what gauges do you have what would you like to have?

jrl5678

Console

Post by jrl5678 »

Mock up so far, 38" fore to Aft, 48" high, the front bench is desinged to hold a 12 gallon gas tank, and the wheel is at 34" centered
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JL8Jeff

Console

Post by JL8Jeff »

jrl5678 wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 09:13Do you wish you had other engine gauges?
Not really. The only gauge I have is the voltmeter and I didn't look at very often so when my rectifier/regulator went bad, it killed the battery before I found out there was a problem. I just put that gauge in because it was the only one I had sitting around and there was a hole in the console where the old Evinrude system gauge was (I converted from 40 hp Evinrude prop motor to Mercury 60/45 jet). I do check the voltage now from time to time since I ended up replacing most of the ignition/spark components.

How wide do you want to go with your console? My boat is a 1652 but it measures 48" wide at the floor where the console is so my 19" wide console works well to leave enough room to walk around it to get up on the front deck where I spend most of my time.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

jrl5678

Console

Post by jrl5678 »

_doc017135.pdf

Trying to attach a PDF of the console.

I am making the seat wider and deeper so the 12 gallon tank is removable with out taking the whole console out, that is how it is now. I am raising all of it so the standing/sitting position is much better. it is only 2" wider than the one in the boat. It is 10" longer now most of that is the gas tank/seat. The height is both for a back rest for the center front seat and a place to put things.

jrl5678

Console

Post by jrl5678 »

Also if someone can tell me how to embed the PDF. Also use really simple words I am a simple person

gogittum

Console

Post by gogittum »

This might be a little late, but you might give thought to an over-the-counter console. I had a Todd console on my 16 ft Glen L skiff and it worked fine for me. (also had a Todd pedestal swivel seat) Light, strong, compact and non-magnetic.....electronics went on the shelf behind the windshield and it had full gauges under the wheel. Battery and CG equipment inside. They make many variations.

Image[/img]

Sorry, this is the only shot I could find on a quick search of my files.