Top Rail Realignment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAY BEAGLE

Reaction score
Day #1 into my recreation. Knowing what I was getting into - figured I would address each one as I came upon it. Here is one I'd like some advice on.
Tree limb feel accross the port and starboard top rails, one dent is more dominate than the other. The transom corner bracket has cracked from the top/rub rail. Not sure what direction to go. (Heat, J.B., Rachel Strap, Weld, etc ???) - feedback is appreciated.

18469.jpeg18468.jpeg18472.jpeg

You need to get that welded brotha!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Likely won't get that straightened perfectly. You can try to anneal it by heating the area to 650°F with propane torch. Check temp with a temp stick available at a welding supply. Once heated and cooled, try your best with a dead blow hammer or hammer and block of wood. May have to repeat the annealing process. Aluminum work hardens so once it moves it will start to get harder.
Have you looked into insurance?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Likely won't get that straightened perfectly. You can try to anneal it by heating the area to 650°F with propane torch. Check temp with a temp stick available at a welding supply. Once heated and cooled, try your best with a dead blow hammer or hammer and block of wood. May have to repeat the annealing process. Aluminum work hardens so once it moves it will start to get harder.
Have you looked into insurance?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks!!! No insurance - this ole dinosaur has been laying along the swamp edge for many years, and many storms. Decided to drag it out and do a rebuild this winter. Knew I had some work ahead of me, so "game on"!!! - working my way to the transome - and see what else needs done before I start the welding.

18474.jpeg

As long as the aft end of the rub rail needs to be re-welded, maybe you could remove the bent section for a few feet & weld a new section on.