Dash Cams

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogittum

Reaction score
Yesterday I watched a long string of dash cam video clips from all over the country and it amazed me how people would lie in their teeth about what they'd done to cause an accident. Many told of how the cam had saved them $1,000s in repair costs by proving who was at fault.

I've been debating getting one for quite a while now and all that finally convinced me it'd be a good idea.

I can't afford a premium setup that costs an arm and a leg, but do want reasonably good video quality. I'd appreciate suggestions that have worked well for others. TIA

In 2009, I was on a trip and waiting for a ferry in British Columbia, Canada, when they signaled my line to start boarding. I started to ease forward and felt a light jolt. Hit the brakes, looked in rear view and the passenger in the car beside me had opened her door while waiting and left it touching the side of my slide-in camper. That light impact curled the rear edge of his door.

I got out to talk to them and took a picture of it with the door still jammed on my camper. The guy admitted not noticing it touching.

Later, his insurance company blamed me for the damage and tried to collect, with the car owner stating that I'd caused the damage thru negligence. I emailed the picture to my insurance company's agent and he threw it in their faces. I was off the hook instantly. Good lesson. I'm getting a dash cam after watching those.

Following this post!

I have had two cheap ones over the years that have worked awesomely.

Some things that I want for my next one are below.

1, I need it to be hard-wired as I hate having a power cable coming down from the front windshield and plugged into a socket. It's not stealthy and it shuts off if the truck is turned off. I want it to record 24/7 and overwrite my card when it starts to fill up. I record in 5-minute increments. With a big enough card you can get many hours if not days of recordings.

2, Some of the models I have seen also have a dual-camera setup that also points back. I don't know if it works or is worth it but it's something to consider.

Test

I'm going to be a little voice of reason, here. Consider; What you saw on Youtube, is just the actual incidents. What you didn't see is the many thousands of driven hours where something didn't happen, because nobody needs to save that recording. What are the exact percentages? I have no clue, but you can bet they're pretty unbalanced.
That being said, I can certainly see where a dash cam could save someone's bacon in an I say/you say situation.
It's your fault if you run into the back of a vehicle, right? What if I need a few bucks and back into you HARD at a stop light? Gonna be kinda hard to prove your innocence unless there's a traffic cam at that corner.

I've watched a number of those vids, too. There's been a few clips where the driver controlled the camera with voice commands. Apparently Garmin makes such a camera, and it seems to me to be a right handy feature. I do like the idea of having a two-camera setup. That way, one could potentially capture a hit-and-run on a freeway or tollway should it occur.

Now, here in Iowa, it seems the need for one is less than say, the east coast or west coast, simply due to large population centers with percentages of folks who would practice deception tactics to get out of responsibility for a traffic accident.

Just my opinion, but I too, will be watching this thread.

Roger

Also following. I've heard a lot of stories where the dash cam footage showed the other driver to be a liar. Seems like a pretty good investment to me.

I have a GoPro that I can set up to record 5 minute segments. It is on a not so good suction cup which usually results in it just kind of propped up on the dash. So far, I've not had to use it. Defensive Driving pays off!

That's ok, Jim. The subject is part of the discussion, and only a slight tangent.
I've never heard of the aftermarket offering such an accessory for autos. I assume you don't want the plugged-in power port do-hickey.
One would have to have a step-down transformer, and a cable long enough to reach the area, with a USB connector already attached. It would have to be long enough to tuck it under the trim around the inside of the windshield, too.
Modern cars have that pre-installed. My wife's car has two 5v USB ports, but they're in the glovebox, and it's a '15.

Roger

Jim said:
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone hardwired a USB-type port up to their rearview mirror area? This would solve many problems for me.

Now you've got me thinking around the sides of the box. On my motorcycle, I hard wired a dual USB charging port below the instrument cluster to power GPS & whatever and there are many versions available; certainly something out there would work for you....just dig around online. Mine looked like it came from the factory like that - even had snap covers to keep rain out. No transformers needed - they're set up to provide 5 volts with 12 volt input.

As far as a power supply on dash or rear view mirror, most cars will give 2 options. My thinking has been to mount the camera on the dash - as is most universal - and run power supply from under the dash, up and out of the door/windshield post molding and across the base of the windshield. I've done that in the past, but it can be a major struggle just to get under the dash and in those very tight quarters get a wire connected to the fuse block and run the wire up to where you need it.

So....my car (SUV) has an overhead console with reading lights, sun roof switch, etc.....all nicely convenient 12 volt power. Now you've triggered the idea of mounting the camera on the rear view mirror stem and drawing power from that console. I won't use a USB connector, tho' - someone, sometime might see it and plug their phone into it. 12 volts wouldn't do the phone any good at all.

I did a fair amount of browsing and finally pulled the trigger on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/R2-4K-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Vision/dp/B074JT3698/ref=asc_df_B074JT3698/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242029049757&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2880405108002924154&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012340&hvtargid=pla-755223901632&psc=1

Many of the videos I watched the other day were taken by Rove R2-4K cameras and the quality was excellent. Price is moderate. Many were battery powered and I don't want to fool with batteries. Rove sells a hard wire kit but it's expensive ($27) and bulky. I bought this one separately:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6W1BZG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My overhead console has a pop down door that covers a compartment for a garage door opener that this will fit in easily. 12 volt is already there. I checked and my rear view mirror is mounted on a molded fitting tight to the headliner, so not practical to mount the camera there, but the kit includes a stick-on mount and there's room on the windshield in front of the mirror, so it'll be completely out of the way. I've never had good luck with suction cup mounts.

I also bought a 128gb SD card for the system. It's a wifi camera, so will be able to access videos with my phone rather than fool with the card.

gogittum said:
I did a fair amount of browsing and finally pulled the trigger on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/R2-4K-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Vision/dp/B074JT3698/ref=asc_df_B074JT3698/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242029049757&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2880405108002924154&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012340&hvtargid=pla-755223901632&psc=1

Many of the videos I watched the other day were taken by Rove R2-4K cameras and the quality was excellent. Price is moderate. Many were battery powered and I don't want to fool with batteries. Rove sells a hard wire kit but it's expensive ($27) and bulky. I bought this one separately:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6W1BZG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My overhead console has a pop down door that covers a compartment for a garage door opener that this will fit in easily. 12 volt is already there. I checked and my rear view mirror is mounted on a molded fitting tight to the headliner, so not practical to mount the camera there, but the kit includes a stick-on mount and there's room on the windshield in front of the mirror, so it'll be completely out of the way. I've never had good luck with suction cup mounts.

I also bought a 128gb SD card for the system. It's a wifi camera, so will be able to access videos with my phone rather than fool with the card.

Now what ?? Why the big gaps in the posted message when I had links in the original ?? I'll try submitting this and if it doesn't work, I'll re-add the links.

I don't understand this. The message shows fine on the compose page but is cut off in the sent page.

Here's the dash cam:

https://www.amazon.com/R2-4K-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-Vision/dp/B074JT3698/ref=asc_df_B074JT3698/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242029049757&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1760024693114364857&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012340&hvtargid=pla-755223901632&psc=1

....and here's the power supply component:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6W1BZG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let's see if this works.

I dunno. On my screen there are large blank areas where the URL's should be.

The camera I bought is a Rove R2-4K unit and I bought a USB adapter to mount in the console to power it.

gogittum said:
I dunno. On my screen there are large blank areas where the URL's should be.

The camera I bought is a Rove R2-4K unit and I bought a USB adapter to mount in the console to power it.

That is normal from my understanding. Shows up fine!

Jim said:
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone hardwired a USB-type port up to their rearview mirror area? This would solve many problems for me.
Yes, that is how my Garmin dash cam is wired, using a special 'piggy back' connector to the powered rearview mirror, on my Toyota Tacoma.

Whatver truck you have, get on a web Forum for that model and look or ask around ...

NOTE for best results and reliablilty, you need to reformat the SD disk every 6-months or so, where your manual will tell you. You CANNUT just expect it to write over and write over endlessly ...

I just ordered one of those Rove R2-4K Dash Camera's from Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I have had a couple of different dash camera's over the last 15 years. The first one which I can't remember the brand was OK. I paid around $70.00 for it. I then ordered another one I thought was just like it since it looked identical to the first one I had and it was a cheap knock-off that you couldn't make out the images in. That is why it was so much cheaper at around $20.00. The third one was the best I have had so far. It was a Z-Edge camera which I don't remember the the model number. I had it for 7-8 years until it finally gave out. I now have a Polaroid which I have had about 2 years and the internal battery is giving up on me. The battery can't keep charged enough to keep it running even when plugged in. I think the heat in a parked car is what is frying my camera's. I have seen 180 degrees in my black pick-up truck parked in the sun on a summer day.

The reason I got into dash cameras was because of an accident in about 2004. I pulled up behind a car stopped making a right turn at a traffic light. She backed into me. She just barely scuffed my front bumper along with the scuff on her rear bumper. When the officer arrived I received a ticket for a rear end collision. He would not listen to me at all. A couple of days later my insurance company called me asking to get pictures of my truck. I told them I was on my way to work and could stop by. They seemed surprised and asked me if it was drivable. I told them it was just a scuff and no real damage was done. I took it to them. As they were walking out to my truck they asked if I already had it fixed as we got closer to it. I told them again it was just a scuff mark. After looking over my truck and realizing there was no damage they told me she had $3400.00 worth of damage to her car. They showed me pictures of her car. After hitting me they backed into a tree or a pole of some sort and caused a lot of damage to the car. It had a big round looking indention in the trunk of the car. The damage to her car and my truck didn't match. They told me to not worry about a thing. They had the ticket dropped from me and went after them for insurance fraud. We both had the same insurance company. They were not paying her for intentional damage to her car. If she would have had a different insurance company, my insurance company might have paid the other company and been done with it. I got lucky.

DaleH said:
Jim said:
Yes, that is how my Garmin dash cam is wired, using a special 'piggy back' connector to the powered rearview mirror, on my Toyota Tacoma.

Whatver truck you have, get on a web Forum for that model and look or ask around ...

NOTE for best results and reliablilty, you need to reformat the SD disk every 6-months or so, where your manual will tell you. You CANNUT just expect it to write over and write over endlessly ...

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Jim said:

Google "dash cam mirror tap". They have adaptor set-ups specifically to tap into the mirror's plug for dash cams. Ones I was looking at for my RAM reduced the voltage from 12v to 5v. Instead of a USB port, the "mirror tap" adaptor plugged right into the dash cam. I imagine they also make ones that have a USB port.

LDUBS said:
Jim said:

Google "dash cam mirror tap". They have adaptor set-ups specifically to tap into the mirror's plug for dash cams. Ones I was looking at for my RAM reduced the voltage from 12v to 5v. Instead of a USB port, the "mirror tap" adaptor plugged right into the dash cam. I imagine they also make ones that have a USB port.

Awesome! I will do that, thanks bud!

LDUBS said:
Another side question: Is anyone using their iPhone as a dash cam? I see free dash cam apps available.
No, the only reason why I’m not is because I’m too lazy to set it up each and every time I’m in and out of the car. I know myself, and even if it’s a 2 minute ride to the market, i will just convince myself it’s not worth the time and “nothing will happen”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk