Simple Jon floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I decided not to do an entire floor in my boat but I did want something non-slip and rather solid that is removable for about three rib sections. After looking at all the alternatives I decided on some commercial Restaurant flooring. It comes in 3x5 Section so it will have to be cut. Pretty heavy stuff but three small sections won’t make a big difference I don’t think in a 1236. I also decided that something removable would be better because of dirt. $49 at a local restaurant supply store for one sheet

Attachments

• E86DD01C-9B30-49EB-B83E-B1600181051E.jpeg
    E86DD01C-9B30-49EB-B83E-B1600181051E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 150
  • 804A7058-116F-4634-9B19-C3B3B6A2F36D.jpeg
    804A7058-116F-4634-9B19-C3B3B6A2F36D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 150
I used a stall mat from tractor supply, it does not have the holes. I see good and not so good for each. The holes would allow dropped small items to be trapped but harder to retrieve. The solid stall mat would not trap the dropped items making them easy to pick up but would keep them located for being stepped on, could be serious if a hook. Either makes a nice covering for a hot aluminum floor

CRS said:
I used a stall mat from tractor supply, it does not have the holes. I see good and not so good for each. The holes would allow dropped small items to be trapped but harder to retrieve. The solid stall mat would not trap the dropped items making them easy to pick up but would keep them located for being stepped on, could be serious if a hook. Either makes a nice covering for a hot aluminum floor

I have the tractor supply stall mat too. I have mine laying directly on the ribs with 1.5" foam board in between them. It's not fastened down in any way so I simply roll it up and toss it out. Then I can remove the foam boards, which I have labeled on the tops with an arrow facing towards the bow (thats actually important because my ribs are unevenly spaced and they are not very square so otherwise it would be a puzzle to get them back in right quickly). Then it's super easy to clean the boat or leave it out for whatever reason.

I love how it provides a stable surface but it is also cushioned. Also that it stays in place while trailering with its own weight. I cant recall what it cost but cheaper than aluminum or plywood 4-5 years ago. Prob way cheaper now due to current construction material prices.

It does have cons though. My floor is 4'x8' and that roll is really heavy, probably decent bit more than some thin aluminum or thin plywood would be. It gets really hot in the summer sun - not as bad as the OD green aluminum decks but enough not to go barefoot. It's also not fuel resistant. I have layed over some smaller outboards I took off while testing others and the gasoline that dripped out of the quick connect deteriorated the mat in the areas it contacted.

Latest posts