Loading boat onto trailer with bow mount trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlattrr

Reaction score
I just switched to a bow mount trolling motor from a transom mount. I didnt figure how difficult it would be to load the boat on the trailer with a cross wind.

Does anyone have any tips to make it easier to load? I do have an outboard but i mostly fish electric only lakes.

Right now i've been just using a rope tied off to a chock on the bow and then cranking it in but it requires me stepping in the water a bit.

pull boat up to shore, get out, attach lead rope to boat. then, shove boat hard with foot and do a roll cast with the rope to get it over the trailer. when boat drifts far enough to pull it back onto trailer, give rope a hard pull to steer the front of boat onto trailer. now pull rope quickly to reel boat into the trailer guides. connect winch rope, or safety chain. drive to dry ground and winch boat all the way onto trailer. *trailer will be deeper than if you are accustomed to driving onto it. i never drive onto a trailer.
thats how we did it in the swamps

Only way I have done it is to go full steam and pull the motor up just as the boat is near the trailer. Momentum will usually get it sitting on the first roller, then you can hop out and crank it up the rest of the way.

I never drive onto the trailer, add a pair of side guide ons keep them close as possible to the side of the boat. I do this with the boat on the trailer and leave about 2 inches on each side. If possible I will beach the boat up wind from the trailer then do exactly what poorthang said.

Did you already sell the transom mount? It could be used just for trailering the way you're used to. Couple good suggestions above already. Every launch is different, whether or not there's a dock, how steep the ramp is etc. Wind is a pain in the backside even with an engine. Guides on the trailer to keep the boat from blowing where it's not centered are helpful. A rope tied to the winch stand could be hooked on one of those guides. You grab the rope on the way by and haul yourself and the boat right up to where it needs to be. Just a thought

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

poorthang said:
pull boat up to shore, get out, attach lead rope to boat. then, shove boat hard with foot and do a roll cast with the rope to get it over the trailer. when boat drifts far enough to pull it back onto trailer, give rope a hard pull to steer the front of boat onto trailer. now pull rope quickly to reel boat into the trailer guides. connect winch rope, or safety chain. drive to dry ground and winch boat all the way onto trailer. *trailer will be deeper than if you are accustomed to driving onto it. i never drive onto a trailer.
thats how we did it in the swamps

^^^^^^ THIS.

Latest posts