Removing T&T 2000 40HP Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glades

Reaction score
Any suggestions on getting the top pin out that the T&T rotates on.

Yes I removed the cotter pin on the starboard side. I also cut out a little of the bracket on the starboard side for easy access to the pin with a punch

I had a slide hammer, air hammer guns, 4lb hammer w a big punch, heated the surrounding frame with MAP gas.
And yes put a lot of PB blaster on it.

Will not budge.
Then I cut the flange off the port side to see if I could get it to move from there and again no luck

I'm tempted to get up under there and cut the pin on both sides of the tilt ram to at least get the T&T out to get it rebuilt.

Wondered what your thoughts are.
Thanks

Oxy acetlylene torch. Air hammer.
Mapp will not begin to heat it enough.
I have removed tons of them this way with no casting cutting necessary. Sometimes you will only get it to move a tiny bit before having to hit it with the torch again. Be persistant. A second person really makes a difference here to keep the heat applied.
Also......It is not necessary to remove the whole thing if all you have is a visible leak or leak down.
Remove the cap and tilt the engine over center to remove the piston. Simple.

Thx Pappy.
It's been running slow so want to get it completely rebuilt.
I'll work towards getting a torch.

Really helps if you clarify your statements.
"It's been running slow"
Is the trim motor running slow or is the piston just not moving as fast as it used to?
Does it move quicker when starting up from the full trim down position then get slower?
Have you checked fluid level? Level should be checked when the unit is in full tilt position.
Signs of leakage around the piston? Oil on floor or anywhere under the trim unit?
Not sure you can even get valving and orings other than for a piston rebuild.
Check before proceeding.

It’s leaking badly at the ram
Before that it struggled to raise the motor
And yes it was full
There’s a company here in Florida that rebuilds them for about 450 bucks
I had the LU rebuilt recently and the power head redone prob 10 yrs ago after an overheat so it’s worth it to me to do this
I just have to get it off

After a LOT of Oxy acetylene torch finally got both top and bottom out.
Thanks for suggestions

Latest posts