Windshield vs Side Console - Pros / Cons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking for another boat. Started looking at simple tiller steered 16' boats.

Now I'm thinking a little more comfort and stability to accommodate my 17yo son who has Autism may be in order. I think the 16' tiller may be too tipsy for him.

So, I used to own a 2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT (windshield). I've never owned a Side Console model.

What are the Pros/Cons to these models in the same Pro Guide 16 boat/hull?

I fish in SoCal lakes, AZ Lakes, and CO River with 2-3 full size large adults.

Thanks

side console offers greater visibilty. all swtiches, charge outlets accessible from front or rear ( reach over from front). it leaves a wide walking path from front to rear. gives under storage and additional wall to hide/mount/install stuff.
cons? it takes up valuable real estate in a marginal sized boat. it sometimes makes it harder to balance the boat.

In my eyes, they're 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Side console is simply a windshield boat without the windshield. In either, balance will be an issue when running alone. Trim tabs can help that, but they cause a lot of drag = more gas, less speed. I much prefer a center console, but I usually - almost always - run alone.

For summertime use, a side console will do fine. In winter, even in SoCal, it gets chilly and that windshield is worth its' weight in gold to keep the wind off you. I boated and fished the same areas as you for nearly 20 years and know of what I speak.

Something very few do that I really enjoyed was to launch at Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mojave, below Searchlight, NV and run upstream the <40 miles to Hoover Dam. What a wonderful boat ride and very good Striper fishing up there, too. Willow Beach makes a good stop on the way. Here's a link to my story of that trip:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFHxXrIi6OkXHwQ5jJ-stkYbtVJz0sQxZ9GeFtMCGNo/edit?usp=sharing

Most of it is a nice ride. The upper portion gets shallow but the rocks can be navigated around. What a view from the bottom looking up.

Check out Walter's Camp, south of Blythe, too. Interesting place. Bill Williams Preserve, south end of Lake Havasu is different. I wonder if the tangle at Vail Lake is sorted out ?? Fishing was wonderful in there 40 years ago.....when it was open.

I don't think there would be much of a difference in stability between a tiller/side console in the same hull. If anything the tiller may be better in that regard, since you pretty much just pull up to your spot and fish, you don't need to move around much in the boat. It's more difficult to fish from the drivers seat of a side console.

Tiller boat seats can be offset just like a side console rig so I wouldn't worry too much about a list. I have a side console and it will list too depending on the wind and other factors.

I think a tiller is a way nicer fishing rig. The biggest problem with them is fatigue from wrestling the outboard, especially with these newer heavy four strokes. Tillers also have the floor open, and you do most of your walking in the lowest area of the boat.

Side consoles make steering a little less fatiguing, but also less responsive and therefore harder to maneuver. You're further ahead so you can see better, but you also take more of a pounding and are closer to the line of fire when it comes to spray.

First off, as based on your use and your son's situation - I would SKIP a tiller model from consideration. And then regardless if it is him OR you running the boat ... wear the ignition kill lanyard, that is now mandatory in US waters on newer boats anyway; never mind it being a good practice! And believe me, if he doesn't see YOU wearing it ... then why should he?

I'm going to try and summarize some of the excellent points raised above and then add my own perspective [DH: or in italics], as having owned 1 of each that size.

Side Console
Pros
-Greater visibility
-Easier access to switches/controls/outlets
-Wide walking path from front to rear [DH: All good points here & above - agree 100%!]
-Additional wall to hide/mount/install stuff [DH: A long locking rod locker is ideal!]
-Easier to fish around 1 console than 2!

Cons
-Balance [DH: To me, the trim is no different than with a tiller boat ... and we've survived them for years, LOL!]
-Can be wet ... spray over the port beam
-Should be less costly to purchase
-No wind protection for the co-pilot seat/position

Full Windshield
Pros
-Greater wind protection
-Storage under the 2nd console
-Nicer for the women of the species ... and that 2nd console gives them a convenient space between the seats and 2 consoles to sit down and pee into a bucket
-Easier to add a full cover from the windshield aft

Cons
-Eliminates a long port-side rod locker conpartment
-Much more restrictive for active fishing ... especially when someone keeps the walk-through windshield closed (grrrrrrr ... )
-Fore to aft access slower
-More expensive to purchase, as the models tends to be 'fancier'

Of the 2, I LOVED my side console 16-footer with a 60hp on her the best - nible and FAST! Upgraded to a cuddy cabin offshore hull so that I can sleep over aboard and also bought back my old side console 14-footer, for general use. Here's that 16' Starcaft side console, from my signature ...

Side.PNG

Thanks for the replies; very informative. And yes, lifejackets and safety engine kill tether are IMPORTANT!

On safety note....I also believe in swim ladders...for emergency boarding if someone, or me, falls over.

gogittum...Thanks for sharing your story and great pics! I have been to WB....very nice boating, camping, and striper fishing!

I'm seem to be having great difficulty deciding on the following boats. The range from simple tiller to large hp is where my confusion lies. One day I want simple tiller steered (simple to trailer, maintain, use, etc), but another day I want more safety and comfort. At 59, comfort is kinda important.

Again, the lakes/reservoirs I fish in regularly near my home are smaller with the largest being Lake Havasu and Lake Mojave when I make trips out there (2-3 times per year). 1-3 adults on board (total weight for passengers range 275# (me) to 725# (3 adults). Plus gear, small ice chest, rods, etc.

1. Tiller steered Alumacraft V16 with 25hp 4 stroke (I posted pics of this boat (and another V16) in an earlier thread).

2. Tracker Pro Guide V16 SC with 75hp 4 stroke

3. Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT with 60hp 4 stroke

4. Tracker Pro Guide V175 WT with 115hp 4 stroke

Thoughts?

NOTE: I'm leaning towards the V16....I can tow it with my RAV4, easy to launch/retrieve, store, maintain, has great resale, etc...simplicity at its finest!

I will say that a bigger boat with a 60hp+ would be better suited for moving around 3 adults. That 25 will carry two okay, but more than that and you'll likely be plowing.

Decided on the simple and economical approach......

Going to drive out tomorrow and look at the 2017 Alumacraft V16. It's a 620 mile round trip!!!!
I hope she's nice and clean! If so, she'll be coming home with me!
Wish me luck!

Here's a few pics....

Attachments

• V16-3.jpg
    V16-3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 63
  • V16-2.jpg
    V16-2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 62
  • V16-1.jpg
    V16-1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 62