Eva foam vs just painting my decks with oil based paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wbrownlee

Reaction score
I have redone my grandpas old boat with aluminum decks and floors. My question? Would it be bad to just paint the aluminum decks with oil based paint in a non reflective color? I have total aluminum shiny right now with a 6’ deck on the front. Was thinking about Eva foam but honestly it’s a big old river boat. And it will have slimy catfish in the floor. Has anyone just painted their floors every couple years?

If you're gonna paint it - mix in something to give you some traction. Light sprinkle of clean sand on the wet paint is one way to do it.

Otherwise that painted surface is going to be as slick as ice when it gets wet...and possible toss you overboard.

A good quality paint preceded by a self-etching primer will last years...not just a couple.

Bare aluminum, you want to use a self etching primer as mentioned.

I have used the HF "fatigue mat" 1/2" foam, with the ribbed rubber/vynel over it. It is great on the feet/legs whenr all day fishing. Very quiet too. A good number of cats, muskies, and other fish have slimed it. It hoses off nicely. Frosty AMs you do have to be careful.

I've had vinyl floor covering in my last two boats. It came with the boats so I can't comment on how easy it is to install. In my case it is installed over plywood. I've had it in the current boat for 4 years now and it is holding up well, easy to clean, etc. I like it a lot.

I used RustOleum Bed Liner Spray in my Grumman. Slightly Rough texture, not Slippery when wet.